2023-2024 ROSTER???

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Hopefully we’re not done in portal; would love to see a PG and a Stretch 4 added.

Current Roster:
PG - Sturdivant
SG- Kelly*/Terry
SF - Coleman/Reeves
PF - Moore
C - Claude/ Dowuona
*Entered Draft, no agent.

Scholarship Not returning/joining:
Blue Cain? (released NLI)
Deivon Smith (portal)
Tristan Maxwell (portal)
Freds Paul Bagatskis - (UT Arlington)
Jordan Meka (portal)
Cyril Martynov (portal)
Rodney Howard (portal)
Ja’von Franklin (eligibility)

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
2023 Portal Incoming(3):

-Tyzhaun Claude // 6’8” 235 // Goldsboro, NC // Western Carolina Trf. // 15.4 ppg., 8.6rpg. in Jr. Yr. // 2 years to play // Fresh. & Soph. yrs. played at Morehead St.
-Ebenezer Dowuona // 6’11” 225 // The Heritage School in Newnan, Ga. // from Accra, Ghana // NC St. Trf. // #196 rating on On-3 in HS // 2 years to play
-Kowacie Reeves, Jr.
Westside-Macon Honor Graduate // Hypesouth x Team Ga Magic // 2x Mr. Middle Ga Basketball//6’7 & 190 // 2-Guard // 2017-18 GHSA Final 4 // Rising Jr. // 8.5 ppg @ UFla

2023 Portal Outgoing(7):

-Devion Smith
-Freds Pauls Bagatskis: Committed to UT Arlington.
-Rodney Howard
-Cyril Martynov
-Jermontae Hill(Walk-on)
-Jordan Meka
-Tristan Maxwell, Sr.(3 yrs. remaining to play 2, which includes a 5th yr. due to corona.)

————————————————————————————————————

2023-24 Roster Build:

-Tyzhaun Claude, Sr.(eligible for a 5th year, also). PF
-Ebenezer Dowuona, Sr.(has a 5th year available, too). Center/PF-Low Post
-Kowacie Reeves, Jr. (2G)
-Lance Terry, Sr.-5th yr.
-Kyle Sturdivant, Sr.-5th yr.
-Dallan Coleman, Jr.
-Jalon Moore, Jr.
-Miles Kelly, Jr.
-Brayden Daniels(WO)
-Emmer Nichols(WO)

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Hopefully we’re not done in portal; would love to see a PG and a Stretch 4 added.

Current Roster:
PG - Sturdivant
SG- Kelly*/Terry
SF - Coleman/Reeves
PF - Moore
C - Claude/ Dowuona
*Entered Draft, no agent.

Scholarship Not returning/joining:
Blue Cain? (released NLI)
Deivon Smith (portal)
Tristan Maxwell (portal)
Freds Paul Bagatskis - (UT Arlington)
Jordan Meka (portal)
Cyril Martynov (portal)
Rodney Howard (portal)
Ja’von Franklin (eligibility)
If you're going to do it depth chart style, I think it's more like

PG - Sturdivant
Wing - Kelly
Wing - Coleman/Terry
Wing - Reeves/Moore
Post - Claude/Dowuona

Need another point guard and probably another big too for flexibility.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm figuring at least 2 if not 3 more players brought in.
We have effectively 2 Sr on the roster and 6 Jr.

We need at least 1 more big and one guard that can play PG.

Wouldn't mind either a HS Sr or a transfer player who is a rising soph.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Definitely need another PG but I would be surprised if we're able to pick up anyone better than Sturdy at this point unless someone comes in with a big chunk of NIL. Joe Girard probably wants too much $$$ right?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
How do we look compared to other acc teams?

As of recently (last two days?) ND had 5 players on roster, Miami had 9 and I believe they lost one during that time. We now have 8. Everyone else had double digits. I believe NCSU lost one but I think they were one of the teams mostly full (12 or 13) but I could be mistaken. I'm also including committed prospects in that number.

That's just numbers though, not counting for things like quality of players or positions of need.

I think we'll look to add at minimum 2 more players. Preferably a back up PG and another big. I think ideally we'd add those two from the portal, and then also bring in 2 others either from the HS rank or who were freshmen last year.

slugboy

Staff member
How do we look compared to other acc teams?

It’s so early in the process, I’m not sure if it makes time to think about that until mid-May.

The portal is accepting undergraduate transfers through May 11th. That’s a little more than two weeks for players to go in—they still have more time to find a home.

Grad transfers can go in any time.

You could be a PG at Houston, perfectly happy, and watch your coach recruit a transfer over you in the next two weeks, and still have time to bail out for another school. Or, someone could drop a NIL hint for another school.

I suppose things might run their course early this season, but I don’t know of any reason why, so for now I have the belief that there are a lot of shoes remaining to drop (or players to go into the portal).

How many coaches are talking to transfers while wondering “will there be a better option in the portal tomorrow”?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if we turn one of Coleman/Kelly/Reeves/Terry into a secondary/spot PG similar to what we did with Marcus Georges Hunt his senior season. I want to say we did it with someone else recently...a player who wasn't a "natural" PG and put the ball in their hands. Devoe? MGH blossomed as a player once he was the primary ball handler.

If we don't get a transfer PG, we will need to have an alternative to Sturdivant.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You’re right - Mintz was their primary ballhandler. That team would have been pretty good next season with Girard, Mintz, Starling, and Edwards.
I'm not sure they ever expected Girard back. (I'll add that he isn't really a PG, he is an undersized shooting guard who is a poor defender).
Good chance Starling doesn't go there if Mintz doesn't enter the draft.
Edwards is the big loss.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if we turn one of Coleman/Kelly/Reeves/Terry into a secondary/spot PG similar to what we did with Marcus Georges Hunt his senior season. I want to say we did it with someone else recently...a player who wasn't a "natural" PG and put the ball in their hands. Devoe? MGH blossomed as a player once he was the primary ball handler.

If we don't get a transfer PG, we will need to have an alternative to Sturdivant.
I agree on Kelly as an "alternative" PG but also expect that CDS wants to go to a 5 out/4 out Boston light style that will spread ball handling around to multiple players instead of a primary ball handler. 4 guys in space who can shoot or drive with a 5 who is active with pick and roll action or off ball screening to keep the defensive 5 engaged. I think with Sturdivant on the bench we still have enough ball handling to run a system like that against most teams. Would still put a PG high on the list of wants from the portal though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree on Kelly as an "alternative" PG but also expect that CDS wants to go to a 5 out/4 out Boston light style that will spread ball handling around to multiple players instead of a primary ball handler. 4 guys in space who can shoot or drive with a 5 who is active with pick and roll action or off ball screening to keep the defensive 5 engaged. I think with Sturdivant on the bench we still have enough ball handling to run a system like that against most teams. Would still put a PG high on the list of wants from the portal though.

Agree with a lot of this. There's an article on AJC about how Claude was recruited. They mentioned that DS used Al Horford's role in the Celtic's offense as an example of how DS wants to develop and use Claude.

There is also the benefit for the Celtics where every guy on the floor can shoot. That’s been the recipe of success for the C’s as they lead the league in percentage of their shots being 3-pointers. Boston’s starting lineup of Horford, Tatum, Brown, Smart and either Grant Williams or Derrick White results in plenty of open shots, which the C’s keep knocking down.

That spacing has been key for the Celtics. And it starts with Horford in some ways as he has evolved into a stretch big who can give his teammates room to drive and work inside the paint.

I think the ability to handle the ball at all 5 spots, and ability to shoot is a premium in DS's system. The 4/5 spots will have their chances to move the ball in their hands, but also shoot if it's the best option on any given play.

I don't think the "traditional" PG will be that much of a factor in terms of "quarterbacking" the offense, now the offense will flow with whoever gets the best chance on that possession. Celtics are very fluid depending on the matchup and it will give opportunities to multiple guys to handle the ball and get it to the right guy on the floor.