2022 Transfer Portal

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I saw an an interview that Keith Hernandez did with Pete Alonso before todays Met's game. His first question was: As a kid growing up, did you always want to be a baseball player? Pete's answer: yeah, either that or an astronaut. But I failed Calculus in college, so my options were limited after that...

Darn...if I knew failing calculus meant playing pro ball, I woulda tried harder my freshman year. I tried to flunk out as a rat but my efforts to do so were marginal at best. ;)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Last day. I had expected more. Without a lot of cuts it seems we won't be bringing many in. Competition will be fierce in the Fall
I'm not sure the number entering from Tech will correlate (necessarily) to number we get from portal. I have to believe all parties understand that Ga Tech is constantly trying to field the best team they can.

Not sure I "like" the corresponding diminished loyalty/commitment to current players; but this is the new normal. I have no inside info but I hope honest discussions are being had... & players understand the portal could quickly change their spot on depth chart.

If we're making promises to [current] players at the expense of grabbing willing transfers that could improve the team... then we're falling behind the competition.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Last day. I had expected more. Without a lot of cuts it seems we won't be bringing many in. Competition will be fierce in t
Last day. I had expected more. Without a lot of cuts it seems we won't be bringing many in. Competition will be fierce in the Fall
Pretty sure the portal closes tomorrow July 1, 2022. Don’t think we will see any movement from GT players but there will be new names from some of the Omaha teams and definitely players from Notre Dame who are in the uncertainty of waiting for a new coach. Additionally, players from teams with new coaches might be late entires tomorrow.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty sure the portal closes tomorrow July 1, 2022. Don’t think we will see any movement from GT players but there will be new names from some of the Omaha teams and definitely players from Notre Dame who are in the uncertainty of waiting for a new coach. Additionally, players from teams with new coaches might be late entires tomorrow.
Aren't most of the Notre Dame starters already transferred in from other schools? Is baseball like the other major sports where you only get one "free" transfer after which you have t sit out a year if you transfer again to another D1 school? I may have that wrong but I think that is how it is supposed to work. Then again, if your coach leaves that might give you another free transfer. It's tough to keep up with all of the rules these days.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
In the portal you get one D1 to D1 free pass, without sitting out a year. After the 1st transfer you have to sit out 1 year.
FYI, there will be more names in the Portal when D1 actually updates the final few days (including GT). The D1 website is about a week behind in updating new entrants and longer on destinations.

No free pass on a coach leaving or staff change per NLI. You sign with the school not the coaching staff.

Christian is going to Temple College (JUCO) for a year of development to get innings and work so that he can use his 1 transfer next year to more schools. He has some interest and communications with some D1 (Kstate, Purdue, ULL) and Jucos (Temple, Chipola). He decided on Juco. Temple's Head Coach, Craig McMurtry, is also the pitching coach and an old school baseball guy. Played in the bigs, in the running for Cy Young and really works with the pitchers and is known for honing and improving pitchers' craft, mechanics and metrics. He mentioned that his goal is to develop and improve him to back to the next level, next year. Hearing them talk shop at his visit was really refreshing. Christian is very excited to get 40-50+ IP of work and recruit in 23 as a RS So transfer to ACC, SEC, Big12 (are his target schools) with 3 years of eligibility left. Would be hard pressed to get that kind of work elsewhere with no college stats. Proud of him for investing in himself and his development to make it back to D1 next year. So we might see y'all on the diamond after all depending on where he lands.

Going from 4yr to 2 yr to 4yr, per the NCAA, he has to graduate with associates and will easily do so at Temple and still have extra credits to transfer. He's already at 54 credits when he finished his freshman year at GT. 60 is a Junior. 90 senior and you graduate typically with 120.

Christian's having a great summer back on the mound, back up to 92 already (in his old arm slot), and his team should be headed to Wichita, KS for the NBC World Series end of July (7/26-8/6). They came in 2nd last year to Santa Barbara.

1656680953734.png

Next few weeks will definitely be interesting after the draft......portal frenzy.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This looks like a pretty big pickup. He had a 3.29 ERA in 27.1 IP as a freshman last year. That's good, but what's most impressive is that he had 44 strikeouts to only 16 walks. I don't care what league you play in, you have to have really good stuff to put up those kinds of stats.
Unlike other sports, baseball at the JUCO level is often better than D1. There are JUCO teams that would do very well in any of the P5 leagues.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Carter Daniels appears in the D1 Transfer tracker today. I never saw any info on why he didn't make an appearance this year, but he was the PG #2 RHP from SC. Injury?