2022 Transfer Portal

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Thought it might be worthwhile having a separate thread to discuss. Anyone else keeping an eye on this craziness?

Gardner-Webb has 34 players listed in the portal though I don't see any mention online of them dropping the program. Florida State has 11 (coaching change) and Duke has 9. Coastal Carolina has 12. Wow. 😳

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Thought it might be worthwhile having a separate thread to discuss. Anyone else keeping an eye on this craziness?

Gardner-Webb has 34 players listed in the portal though I don't see any mention online of them dropping the program. Florida State has 11 (coaching change) and Duke has 9. Coastal Carolina has 12. Wow. 😳
Tyler Martin (M.Martin Jr's son) has entered it. No surprise.

It seems Ga Tech is way below average on portal entries for P5 programs. My sample is not scientific.... just from scanning list.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Yep quite a few in the mix...
  • Arizona State 13
  • Mississippi State 15
  • Missouri 15
  • NC State 10
  • Tulane 17
Going to be crazy with getting to 35. Some teams did that this year or really close, others did not and you can see it.

Texas Tech is bringing in 25 in their 22 class and needs to cut or rescind a ton.
Georgia has 42 on their roster, 6 in the portal and bringing in 12. Only saw 1 GA guy in top 200 draft.
They have a few Sr and Grad transfers, but still going to be rough to get down to 35.

GT is going to have a rough time getting down to 35 based on who is graduating, drafting, isn't drafting, coming back or wants to, and bringing in 21 in the 22 class and making the 35 roster limit.....

NCAA jumped the gun a year early on the 35, with the "Covid Clog" they created.....

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Very few new teams listed though. I imagine there will be a flurry at the end.
@eokerholm feel free to reply privately or not at all. What is your son's status? Is there a possibility of him returning to Tech or solid new opportunities?

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Very few new teams listed though. I imagine there will be a flurry at the end.
@eokerholm feel free to reply privately or not at all. What is your son's status? Is there a possibility of him returning to Tech or solid new opportunities?
2 games in and He’s back up to 92mph already.

They’re taking it easy and slow on his arm since he’s ramping up.

4IP 5K 4BB 4H 1ER

Talking with Kansas State, Purdue & Texas A&M. Waiting to hear back from some others. Some coming to see him this and/or next week.

I’m not sure how it would work coming back to GT - if going in the portal waves the scholarship (?). Going to be a blood bath there to get down to 35 - so extremely extremely extremely doubtful.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

4IP 5K 4BB 4H 1ER

Talking with Kansas State, Purdue & Texas A&M. Waiting to hear back from some others. Some coming to see him this and/or next week.

I’m not sure how it would work coming back to GT - if going in the portal waves the scholarship (?). Going to be a blood bath there to get down to 35 - so extremely extremely extremely doubtful.
Best of luck to him, I know we all have enjoyed your posts here and will be rooting for him wherever he lands.

GT33

Helluva Engineer

4IP 5K 4BB 4H 1ER

I hope the best for your kid and glad to hear he’s returning to form. There’s only 1 place your son can land that would piss me off and they’re not on the list. THWG!

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I hope the best for your kid and glad to hear he’s returning to form. There’s only 1 place your son can land that would piss me off and they’re not on the list. THWG!
THWG!
They have have 46 on their roster, losing 20 (IF they lose ALL Jrs, Srs and of course Graduate students and their 1 draftee)
They had 24 pitchers, 20 active losing 7 and bringing in 5, maybe more from the portal (like everyone else is doing too)
So doesn't look likely at all.

1655233450867.png

Good academic school,
1655233577254.png

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-georgia-1598

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Virtually no one listed in the portal has a new team listed yet. I realize that many likely won't land but shouldn't there be a flurry of signings announced soon? Is July 1 truly the deadline to secure a new team?

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Virtually no one listed in the portal has a new team listed yet. I realize that many likely won't land but shouldn't there be a flurry of signings announced soon? Is July 1 truly the deadline to secure a new team?
Deadline to go into the portal is July 1st not to declare a new school. The problem with D1 Baseball‘s Transfer Tracker is that it’s pretty good with identifying players who enter the portal, but not so good at posting where that player lands.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
THWG!
They have have 46 on their roster, losing 20 (IF they lose ALL Jrs, Srs and of course Graduate students and their 1 draftee)
They had 24 pitchers, 20 active losing 7 and bringing in 5, maybe more from the portal (like everyone else is doing too)
So doesn't look likely at all.

View attachment 12588

Good academic school,
View attachment 12589
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-georgia-1598
It’s an “improving”academic school. Good luck to your son.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Today‘s updated Transfer Tracker on D1 Baseball has a notable 16 players from Vanderbilt. Raises some questions about their program.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Today‘s updated Transfer Tracker on D1 Baseball has a notable 16 players from Vanderbilt. Raises some questions about their program.
Why does that raise questions about their program? I'll admit... my understanding of implications of this new "environment" of transfer portal is probably not complete.

Maybe over simplistic... but if a program as high level as Vandy is being fully honest with players that their future within the program has changed since being recruited & the result is guys looking to move on... that could be a feature & not a flaw.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Why does that raise questions about their program? I'll admit... my understanding of implications of this new "environment" of transfer portal is probably not complete.

Maybe over simplistic... but if a program as high level as Vandy is being fully honest with players that their future within the program has changed since being recruited & the result is guys looking to move on... that could be a feature & not a flaw.
I was going to say the same thing. With rosters needing to be trimmed down significantly for next season it would seem to be something in the best interest of the players to be informed as soon as possible in order to catch on with another team. Additionally, if Vandy wants to find a few players in the portal it would seem to enhance their ability to land a few if they aren't sitting way over the limit of 35. I think we should be telling any players that definitely don't look like they will be contributing to next year's team what their status is so they can look elsewhere if they want (if we are not already doing so).

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe we are involved in some trades. "I'll give you 4 covid sophomores and a junior coming off tommy johns for an incoming freshman catcher and a senior reliever."

That transaction trims 3!

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Write it down...
We're playing chess while all others are playing checkers. 🙂
I also think it takes a particular person to be interested in coming to GT and accepting both the academic and athletic demands. Tech isn't for just anyone.

Vanderbilt has a great program and is a great school, but I suspect they also have degree programs that would make most of us that went to Tech asking: "You're majoring in what??? Isn't that just like an elective class you can take???"

I saw an an interview that Keith Hernandez did with Pete Alonso before todays Met's game. His first question was: As a kid growing up, did you always want to be a baseball player? Pete's answer: yeah, either that or an astronaut. But I failed Calculus in college, so my options were limited after that...