2022 Spring Game

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hard to take much of anything from this. Feels like 2 midgets playing each other.

The offenses were allowed to continue multiple times after what would have been obvious sacks.
Gibson's throws were more consistent than Sims but the 2nd string D looked awfully weak.
Very inconsistent running the ball. Not convinced the OL will hold up.

Until we actually play another team we simply won't know much, A QB will not play the same way if he knows he cannot be touched.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I just got back from the game. The campus was alive with frat house outdoor parties and bands, but hardly of the students went to the stadium to see the game. There were a lot of recruits at the game and they seemed to almost outnumber the fans. I am not sure why they closed the west stands and opened the east stands because for at least the first half of the game the sun was directly in the face of the fans in the east while west was in shade but closed off. The loud rap music finally wore me out by 7:30 and I left. It made me wonder how many teams play unbearably loud music for the entire spring game. Is that the norm? Of course, I am old so what do I know?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I just got back from the game. The campus was alive with frat house outdoor parties and bands, but hardly of the students went to the stadium to see the game. There were a lot of recruits at the game and they seemed to almost outnumber the fans. I am not sure why they closed the west stands and opened the east stands because for at least the first half of the game the sun was directly in the face of the fans in the east while west was in shade but closed off. The loud rap music finally wore me out by 7:30 and I left. It made me wonder how many teams play unbearably loud music for the entire spring game. Is that the norm? Of course, I am old so what do I know?

We do it every freaking year. Look I’m mid 30s, and actually even like some rap. But you could play it at a lower volume and srill have some music but allow the fans to have a normal conversation without f’n having to shout at each other .

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
The loud rap music finally wore me out by 7:30 and I left. It made me wonder how many teams play unbearably loud music for the entire spring game.
Last year after attending the Spring game I decided I didn't need to go back to another one for awhile. II didn't care for the OvD format instead of 2 teams playing each other, but I forgot about the loud music being played the whole time. Couldn't chat with my buddy about what we were seeing because the music was so distracting.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I watched a bit of it while at Buffalo Wild Wings. I got annoyed that it was a lot of drills but we did see some live reps. Hard to tell during a spring game but some things that stood out immediately:

Back up QB looked pretty good. He threw some nice balls.

Blackstrain had a nice snag for a TD. Seeing him catch and haul in a pass caught my eye then I realized who it was.

We made some FGs!

I left near the end. I don’t think I missed too much else

JacketFan137

Banned
If we are a competition based program, why is the starting QB job not up for grabs?
QB is a different ball of wax. with the portal in effect today going into any season declaring there’s a qb competition is a great way to lose some guys. sims is clearly better than gibson but bringing in someone to transfer to be competition with a two year starter is gonna be seen as disrespect

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Supposedly the first half of the spring game will be drills. 2nd half will be scrimmage offense vs defense.
No kicking/punting. No score keeping.
Not enough healthy players for 2 separate teams so we get just offense vs defense.
Not enough healthy players? Yeah, ok Geoff.

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
QB is a different ball of wax. with the portal in effect today going into any season declaring there’s a qb competition is a great way to lose some guys. sims is clearly better than gibson but bringing in someone to transfer to be competition with a two year starter is gonna be seen as disrespect
Remains to be seen. There is a question mark about Sims ability to stay on the field. All things being equal I'd go with the new guy. Sims has had 2 years & the team is no better

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Hard to tell on TV, but appeared Gibson is better able to find the open man than Sims, Sims has always had that problem it appears to me. One of the things I liked about film I saw on Pyron was his play making ability. I like QBs that just know how to beat you, don't necessarily look great doing it all the time, they're just winners.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It appeared to me that Sims was playing against the 1st team defense and they shut him and the run down pretty well, the defense Gibson went against had huge holes in the secondary. That being said i was pretty happy with what i saw from Gibson considering some of the negative stuff certain posters had been writing about him. I think he’s an upgrade as our backup if we can give him some time to throw he can make plays with his arm imo.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I still don’t understand why we played the game on St Paddys day, and on a Thu night, I much prefered when the game was Sat afternoon. That being said i really enjoyed the format this year, being able to drink beers and stand at field level to watch the game was cool. Seeing how they practice was interesting as well. Was also glad to see tackling, The players were giving it there all it seemed with a few hard hits.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Start of 1st play

Screenshot_20220318-071954.jpg

Screenshot_20220318-070829.jpg

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It appeared to me that Sims was playing against the 1st team defense and they shut him and the run down pretty well, the defense Gibson went against had huge holes in the secondary. That being said i was pretty happy with what i saw from Gibson considering some of the negative stuff certain posters had been writing about him. I think he’s an upgrade as our backup if we can give him some time to throw he can make plays with his arm imo.
I agree with all of this.
The first string OL has me pretty concerned about whether they can hold up against ACC opponents.

First chance to see Hall. What I heard from L'ville fans looks right. He is really fast, but he is not shifty at all. He is not going to make many tacklers miss. He will need holes or open space to be effective.
Gibson throws a nice ball and appears more consistent than Sims in terms of mechanics, but the defense he played against looked really weak.

But at the end of the day it is hard to take much away from a spring game like this when you are scrimmaging against each other with rules that are designed to keep certain players upright. Do guys look good because they are good or because who they match up against are not?

We will wait until September to see what the answers are.