2022 Spring Game

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure why Tech decided on St. Patricks day. Outside of Tech chat boards where else was the game promoted although it was mentioned on 680 this a.m. They will also carry the game on radio. Not sure, but does Tech have a SID? If so he/she does not know how to promo Tech sports.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure why Tech decided on St. Patricks day. Outside of Tech chat boards where else was the game promoted although it was mentioned on 680 this a.m. They will also carry the game on radio. Not sure, but does Tech have a SID? If so he/she does not know how to promo Tech sports.

They did talk it up at the Softball Game this past weekend.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Will it be streamed?

2022 GEORGIA TECH FOOTBALL SPRING GAME

Date: Thursday, March 17

Time: 6 p.m. (parking, gates and in-game, on-field tailgate party open at 4 p.m.)

Admission: FREE (includes access to in-game, on-field tailgate party – details in promotions link below!)

TV: ACC Network (Play-by-play: Chris Cotter; Analyst: Roddy Jones; Sideline reporter: Lericia Harris)

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Ok... airing my dirty laundry here... I have not attended a spring game. What I have gathered from much of this discussion here is that it’s not very productive, not well attended, and probably costs a lot more in time, money and effort than any minor revenue it produces. I’m sure no coach would ever say it because it’s a marketing pitch to the most ardent fans, but I bet they’d much rather hold productive practice.
Do you think the scheduling is by design to deemphasize and phase out?
Am I missing something about it’s significance? Do the players enjoy it?
Do the fans enjoy it? **searching this thread for any indication of excitement / enjoyment**

**finding none**

Does everyone do a spring game?
Are we forcing it at this point?

I grew up a basketball guy and I kind of equate this to the “midnight madness” practice on the first day of allowed practices. It’s a novelty for the fans that doesn’t accomplish much for the team. I personally would prefer to watch a real practice than to watch guys goof off in a loosely supervised scrimmage.

Not trying to pee in anyone’s Cheerios (or perhaps green beer) this morning... just questions I have...

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok... airing my dirty laundry here... I have not attended a spring game. What I have gathered from much of this discussion here is that it’s not very productive, not well attended, and probably costs a lot more in time, money and effort than any minor revenue it produces. I’m sure no coach would ever say it because it’s a marketing pitch to the most ardent fans, but I bet they’d much rather hold productive practice.
Do you think the scheduling is by design to deemphasize and phase out?
Am I missing something about it’s significance? Do the players enjoy it?
Do the fans enjoy it? **searching this thread for any indication of excitement / enjoyment**

**finding none**

Does everyone do a spring game?
Are we forcing it at this point?

I grew up a basketball guy and I kind of equate this to the “midnight madness” practice on the first day of allowed practices. It’s a novelty for the fans that doesn’t accomplish much for the team. I personally would prefer to watch a real practice than to watch guys goof off in a loosely supervised scrimmage.

Not trying to pee in anyone’s Cheerios (or perhaps green beer) this morning... just questions I have...
To be fair, other schools have much better attendance. Some spring games draw basically a sold out crowd.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fair, other schools have much better attendance. Some spring games draw basically a sold out crowd.
Yes and expectations. The first year of Collins the Spring Game was fairly well attended and it has fallen off every year since. No clue with Spring Break, St. Patrick's Day and first full day of March Madness why they picked this date. It makes zero sense unless your goal is to severely limit attendance.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
One additional thing it is on a Thursday. I don't remember any other Spring Game as far back as I can remember ever not being on a Friday or Saturday. I will not be going for the first time in several years since it would require fighting Thursday Atlanta traffic and St. Patrick's Day travel. Also last year was basically touch football and not a game. I get not wanted player's injured but I would certainly think more game realism would be warranted.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes and expectations. The first year of Collins the Spring Game was fairly well attended and it has fallen off every year since. No clue with Spring Break, St. Patrick's Day and first full day of March Madness why they picked this date. It makes zero sense unless your goal is to severely limit attendance.

To be completely fair, COVID policies killed attendance in 2020 and 2021 spring games more than the W/L record.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
There was no game in 2020 and 2021 was only open to season ticket holders. I would be pretty surprised if this years game is even 1/5 the attendance of the 2019 game though.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I will watch up here in NC just to see what the the new OC has done so far with Sims and the two back ups.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There was no game in 2020 and 2021 was only open to season ticket holders. I would be pretty surprised if this years game is even 1/5 the attendance of the 2019 game though.

On rivals they say we have a very large group of recruits. Also pretty highly rated. Hopefully they will like the fun stuff.

At the orange bowl they had games and clowns. Kids loved it.

Accn - Packer and Durham - they said that George O Leary may show up.

CGC said "GOL has been his mentor"
I hope to goodness he really means " GOL has offered to be my mentor but I never used his advice till the last 2 months - boy things seem to be going a lot smoother!" CGC really does need a mentor who will help him be ready in game situations.

I am very glad we are on tv against crappy basketball and are FIRST SPRING GAME - this year .
We are going to have good idea of where our current players stand and that will allow us to make more intelligent portal offers.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Supposedly the first half of the spring game will be drills. 2nd half will be scrimmage offense vs defense.
No kicking/punting. No score keeping.
Not enough healthy players for 2 separate teams so we get just offense vs defense.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fair, the SID promotes to media, we have a marketing group that is supposed to work the public. I think we can agree they are probably one of the worst in the country.