2022 Spring Game

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think that was the intent of the comment. Not everything has to be taken as a slap at CPJ.
He said that if they were OL recruited by CPJ who left it was likely not much of a loss…. if the argument was that OL recruited by CPJ just don’t fit the current team, then that’s kind of weak given that we still have OL recruited by CPJ starting and playing significant minutes. Depth on the OL continues to be a problem. so sounds like hes saying that if they were recruited by CPJ then they weren’t good or helpful.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He said that if they were OL recruited by CPJ who left it was likely not much of a loss…. if the argument was that OL recruited by CPJ just don’t fit the current team, then that’s kind of weak given that we still have OL recruited by CPJ starting and playing significant minutes. Depth on the OL continues to be a problem. so sounds like hes saying that if they were recruited by CPJ then they weren’t good or helpful.
Here are the two recruits. You make your own assessment.

OL Joshua Black - 247Sports Composite: 0.8290​

It has been quiet for Black, who committed to Tech with the expectation of playing for Paul Johnson in an option system. He doesn’t appear to have taken an official visit to Tech since Geoff Collins was hired and we haven’t seen anything encouraging regarding his commitment, as his Twitter account seems to be deleted.

OL Larry Dowdy - 247Sports Composite: 0.8290​

The same goes for Dowdy, another option lineman. There hasn’t been a whisper about his status, even with the early signing period starting on Wednesday. It stands to reason that hearing nothing at all is probably a neutral sign, but not when everyone else has been as active as you’ll see in a moment.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Seems he said that "they were recruited for Paul's offense," which is different than how you characterize it. CPJ always said he recruited the big, nasty OL too, he just had a hard time getting them to come to GT.

Joshua Black - University of Louisville: RS in 2019 and played in 2 games in 2020. Can't find any 2021 data.

Larry Dowdy - Appalachian State: Doesn't appear he's played at all.

Full disclosure: I'm a huge CPJ fan.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The NCAAT starts on March 16 and I'm pretty sure Georgia Tech's basketball team will be sitting at home. So if we are doing this for the ACCN to have something to show (March 17th), the fans are not coming out a winner here. In the event they think football recruits are going to watch Tech play a scrimmage game on television vs watching the NCAAT that night, then our administration is out of touch. If someone was writing a book on how to screw up a once proud football program, Georgia Tech's leadership would be in Chapter 1.
If are there 2 games in aft and 2 ending in early evening . Maybe we can get our game after that and before the 2 night games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Seems like this staff doesn't put much into the spring game. Almost like a necessary evil for them. I can see trying to avoid injuries but the fans like to see some football.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It should be on the previous Friday night, March 11th if they wanted on a friday. It would avoid all of the opening of the NCAA basketball tournament conflicts, St Patrick's Day, and the fact that many students were already be headed home with the spring break starting that Saturday.
As smart as some people are higher up in the athletic association, they sometimes can be really dumb.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think it matters when the game is not many will be there. Last years regular season attendance was the worst I can remember.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
After my own over-analysis of this decision, the only logical conclusion I came up with is that they don’t want people there. And when the stadium is mostly empty, there are other factors to blame that don’t involve a demotivated fanbase hungover from 8 FBS wins spanning across 3 seasons.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was surprised they have early spring practice with the scrimmage before spring break. He said on Packer that he would use spring break for more work. The Thursday night game is really odd.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Or were told to look somewhere else. We don't know for sure. Either way, both committed somewhere else before Key was onboard if I recollect properly. Louisville and Appalachian State.
CGC had been told to honor the commitments from PJ and his staff for the 2019 class. That came from Bud Petersen.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
After my own over-analysis of this decision, the only logical conclusion I came up with is that they don’t want people there. And when the stadium is mostly empty, there are other factors to blame that don’t involve a demotivated fanbase hungover from 8 FBS wins spanning across 3 seasons.
But what other bad message are you sending with a backdrop of vast swaths of empty seats on TV for your spring game?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
CGC had been told to honor the commitments from PJ and his staff for the 2019 class. That came from Bud Petersen.
And yet they didn't sign. From what I remember, CGC kind of ghosted them. Can't remember for sure, but one of the recruits said he hadn't heard from GT in the 2 weeks leading up to the early signing period.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
And yet they didn't sign. From what I remember, CGC kind of ghosted them. Can't remember for sure, but one of the recruits said he hadn't heard from GT in the 2 weeks leading up to the early signing period.
I thought they all did except Dowdy and Josh Black.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
But what other bad message are you sending with a backdrop of vast swaths of empty seats on TV for your spring game?

Empty will be a much better look than the last home game - about 75% red and black by my estimation from being there.

Will it be emptier on a holiday on a Thursday during March Madness versus a Friday or Saturday in April? Sure. But it’s easier to rationalize the poor turnout on the timing of the game versus holding the right people accountable.