2022 Season

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
My bad, Fred. I was going to say 9-0, and relented. Is it basketball or ?, where it’s 1-0?
Still, my point is a forfeit probably hurts the RPI worse.
I don't know, how did aTm do it? They're not shying away from the reason publicly. They're gaming the RPI and admitting it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know, how did aTm do it? They're not shying away from the reason publicly. They're gaming the RPI and admitting it.

Everyone games the rankings / RPI to some extent with the scheduling that they do. The difference here is that would be a late in the season change. I really think the games will be played since the weather is ok. Two staff days on paper, but little difference since most of our recent games turn out to be staff days anyway.

Bummer with no baseball for us this weekend.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I agree whole heartedly. Just because Texas A&M is coached by someone that appears to be a dishonorable, spineless pansy and chooses to cluck like a chicken, doesn't mean we should. Play the durn games; maybe our pitchers will do something exceptional to gain confidence and give us a better opportunity to succeed.
Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Pretty sure TAM coach is an OK and honorable guy.
Regional and CWS appearances, and Team records at TCU y'all would drool over
1652529562340.png

It was sort of 'brushed over' in the article; but the Incarnate Word coach has a relationship with A&M coach (previous staff member??).
You can hear why here....
mentions in the press conference ICW is also beat up and prepping to end their season well. Yes, previous coach.
Texas heat and humidity (big difference from Fort Worth to College Station) (not that it is an excuse). It's already broken 100 a few times this last few weeks.
Taking time to rest, recovery. Hydration and being prepared on the player.

If they're in the hunt for playoffs, hosting, and regionals it wouldn't be a dumb idea to play the RPI came.
Win or lose, they drop in RPI.

1652530329601.png

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was serious about this being a stupid schedule. Both Akron and Kent State were awful last year so it' not like we didn't know we'd take an RPI hit. And most of us including @FredJacket were on it when the schedule was announced. While I don't believe that consistency in weekend pitching rotation is as important as some make it out to be, we have screwed up that rotation too. Along with 5 games in 6 days the week before the ACC Tourney.

The games would have to be cancelled and not forfeited. Forfeit would make an awful decision awfuler. And I don't see that happening.

I too was hoping it would be part of Danny Hall's Farewell Tour, but that hasn't been announced. So it was never planned or plans have changed. This season progression is not what anyone hoped for or expected. (Warren Nolan site https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2022/team-rank?team=Georgia-Tech )

View attachment 12419

I also was wrong about our pitching improving. Hopefully we can get a bunch of portal transfer pitchers in to help next year. There will be plenty with better ERAs available than what we have.
The thing that bothers me is we should have scheduled THESE the weekend after finals if we were going to do this. Finals (and midterms to a lesser degree) always seem to have an effect on every sport.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the reason to play at Akron was charity and since they play on a rug. As does Kent State ........

View attachment 12424

View attachment 12425

So we are scrimmaging on rugs after being on grass all year. (tic)
Perhaps for Kent State. I will see what the playing surface looks like when I get there.

But the game against Akron is noted as being at Canal Park, which is where the Akron minor league team plays. Not sure if that is grass or rubber, but again, will find out when I get there tomorrow afternoon!

Edit: Sorry, grass or plastic! The Rubber Ducks play there. Grass, plastic, rubber, who knows what the surface is...

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
GT Pitching w/ a 3rd shutout on the season.

2022, Tech has 97 HR’s; 2010 is the all-time record for round trippers of 122.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, here's some more thoughts on CancelGate.

The fundamental problem is that college baseball teams are inconsistent through the short season and there are ~300 teams to rank. The Northern teams don't get as much pre-season practice and thus develop more. So any mathematical algorithm cannot accurately measure the relative comparison when the constituents are changing so much and will be severely limited. When the eyeball test is applied, then there is human bias entered.

As long as we are in, great. uGag not making it last year shows the system works. (tic)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
OK, here's some more thoughts on CancelGate.

The fundamental problem is that college baseball teams are inconsistent through the short season and there are ~300 teams to rank. The Northern teams don't get as much pre-season practice and thus develop more. So any mathematical algorithm cannot accurately measure the relative comparison when the constituents are changing so much and will be severely limited. When the eyeball test is applied, then there is human bias entered.

As long as we are in, great. uGag not making it last year shows the system works. (tic)

Human bias v Mathematical (algorithm) bias.
An interesting distinction; but ultimately no difference in this case. One is no better (or worse) than the other. After field is set... some teams will have legitimate grounds to complain.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Most important game of the season is tonight.

True every game day.

And @FredJacket , there is no need for legitimate grounds to complain in my experience. The algorithms are written by humans, so is there a distinction? (tic)

Going to have some beers before the game and try and enjoy it as @YodaFred teaches us grasshoppers.