2022 Season

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, what a start to the year. NC State blows 4 run lead to lose to ND 8-4 in the 12th. NC State has no luck at all this year; but they were the same last year to start and ended up in the CWS. Moral: you never know how things are going to turn out till the games are played.

Anyway, most services don't do RPI till after this weekend (18 March). But here are the top 25 teams by Iterative strength rating with a 10 D1 game minimum. We are at #17 (moved up a lot last night) with a SoS of 78. VT has a SoS of 249 and is 47th. I know the perception is that VT has a great offense, but let's wait and see. It has been juiced by poor quality opponents.

BTW, I agree with Mercer being ranked 15th.

1647098041405.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For those of you who like to track RPI here is the link to Warren Nolan Live RPI 2022: think we are 14 for the moment

Thanks, I do follow them and didn't think they came out till 18 March.

Notice we moved up 19 spots with the win yesterday. That shows how volatile / inaccurate the early season RPIs are IMHO.

I took a picture since this stuff changes as games are played.
1647099388754.png

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I would respond to that by saying the math is flawed especially when your #9 ranked team (Central CT) has a 3-1 record with no Q1 or Q2 wins and one Q3 loss. The wins coming against Navy and Albany. And that gives them a SOS of 33? How does that make any sense.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Can someone explain to me how FSU is ranked #8 with a record of 10-5 which includes a couple of pretty bad losses? Is it just because they are FSU and voters think they are supposed t be a top 10 team every year?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Can someone explain to me how FSU is ranked #8 with a record of 10-5 which includes a couple of pretty bad losses? Is it just because they are FSU and voters think they are supposed t be a top 10 team every year?

They’ve won all four weekend series and are supposed to have one of the better weekend rotations in the country.

D1B in particular does not tend to weight sweeps much more than 2-1 series wins. Which is basically the difference between our records right now.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
They’ve won all four weekend series and are supposed to have one of the better weekend rotations in the country.

D1B in particular does not tend to weight sweeps much more than 2-1 series wins. Which is basically the difference between our records right now.
I was unaware that we had lost a weekend series this year.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Re Expectations & the fan "experience"

This old cliche applies for me... Its all about the journey, not the destination.

I like baseball games. I enjoy the process down to pretty small pieces... like a great play or performance in a loss can mitigate that loss for me. My "joy quotient" is always higher after wins; but still can be decent after losses. That's because Ga Tech has a great baseball program & they do waaaaaaay more good stuff on the diamond than bad.

Generally...over time Ga Tech baseball has been VERY good. Consistently so. By the time we reach games 58+, I'm good with the process & hope for deep runs in post-season. But when it doesn't happen, it doesn't dampen the 4 months of goodness I've experienced up to the final out.

My sense is most fans just sort of plod along waiting for that last loss either without fully enjoying the getting there OR retroactively firebombing all the good (joyful) memories after season ends... whatever the circumstances.

For example, I'll not forget last night. Frye (the 3rd SS in game) laying down that perfect bunt with 2 out to tie the ballgame in the 14th. Then to walkoff with Tres. I won't forget that good feeling & I'll revisit it in my mind every now & then. When we lose in May or June, I'll be disappointed I'm sure; but with no regrets.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck

I will have to use RPI as an indicator because there are no other rankings I can find that include some of the opponents they have lost to. They have two losses to teams ranked below 100 along with losses to teams ranked #47 and #57. None of their weekend series wins (or any wins for that matter) have come against a team with an RPI above #47. That doesn't read like a team that should be ranked #8. And as far as their highly ranked weekend rotation goes, 3 out of those 5 losses have come on the weekend. They are 11th in the ACC in hitting with only one team in the league with fewer home runs. And there are 5 teams in the ACC whose pitching have given up fewer runs. All this against a very weak schedule if RPI means anything. Maybe their weekend starting pitching is as good as advertised but they seem to be unable to score enough to overcome the rest of their pitching.