2022 Season

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
When sorting out what IS going to happen... it's often helpful to know what won't happen [what are the odds D1 Baseball gets full field of 64 correct down top 8, regional hosts, & seeds... before pitch #1]

...but it is fun to look at.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
1645128986464.png

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Up to D1 Baseball #19. Winning will do that. Win and they will come to the ballpark.

Liberty (21) still behind Florida (16) despite taking a road series from them. LBSU (12) still behind MSU (7) despite taking a road series from them. ECU (25) still ranked despite being swept at home by a (still) unranked team.

I get D1B not wanting to make drastic jumps in rankings with a volatile sport like baseball, but those three in particular are a little ridiculous when it’s literally the only evidence we have thus far.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Liberty (21) still behind Florida (16) despite taking a road series from them. LBSU (12) still behind MSU (7) despite taking a road series from them. ECU (25) still ranked despite being swept at home by a (still) unranked team.

I get D1B not wanting to make drastic jumps in rankings with a volatile sport like baseball, but those three in particular are a little ridiculous when it’s literally the only evidence we have thus far.
D1Baseball has always been consistent and transparent about their rankings. Early in the season, it is mostly projection based. As the season progresses, it becomes more results based.

Liberty and Long Beach State both got significant bumps due to their series wins. East Carolina got a significant downgrade due to their series loss. As an MLB comparison, I'm assuming that Braves fans won't give up their World Series trophy because they got swept by Philly in the season opening series last year...

All a long way of saying, it's baseball. It's early. S#!t happens. I would still pick Florida and MSU over Liberty and Long Beach State in the long run. But, it's baseball. Anything can happen. That's why we play the games. And that's why I love college baseball!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Some massive crowds for opening weekend. GT comes in at 35 on this list with a weekend average of 1,342 which was good for 6th in the ACC. But keep in mind there were a lot of teams who would probably have as good or better draws that played in neutral site tournaments. Baylor, Texas Tech, Arizona, Auburn, Notre Dame, TCU, SDSU, Cal and a few others didn’t have the ability to host home games. 1300 ain’t a bad crowd for early season GT standards, but we shouldn’t be outdrawn but the likes of UCF, Tulane, UTRGV, Louisiana Tech, and Cal Poly.

I get Friday night games not being packed. It’s still cold, and nobody wants to fight Atlanta traffic. But Saturday and Sunday afternoon games need a minimum of 2,500 every weekend. Baseball is out ticket to national relevance, but Tech fans are reluctant to buy in. Show up, show out, bring your friends, your kids, your friends’ kids. There’s not a better setting in college baseball IMO, but the atmosphere is lacking. That 2019 regional crowd was just a taste of what it used to be like at the Rusty C for most of the year. It’s well past time GT fans provide an atmosphere akin to other baseball powers.

dadair6

Georgia Tech Fan
Way too early observation after 4 games, unless the defense and pitching improve, immensely, this could be a rough year. Pitching ERA almost 6 and of the 13 runs surrendered only 6 have been earned.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Tremendously affordable option to go and see GT play. Even season tickets are crazy cheap compared to other programs that ask for $1000-5000+ donation on top of the ticket prices.
Rusty C is a great venue and the field and skyline is tough to beat!
Wish we could make more games.