2022 Pitching

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Welp, Brody Westbrooks is in the portal too. Makes sense given the IP this year. 6 days to the start of the MLB draft.

1625497707715.png

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My guess: Grissom Friday Maxwell Saturday Huff Roedig or Smith Sunday and Finateri midweek. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s how the season starts…plenty of middle innings arms and probably Bartnicki and Mcnamee to close most weekend games…Grissom and Maxwell could be flip flopped… there you go friends into the pool we go

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks to the mods for moving the question of starting pitching to this thread. I've posted pitching stuff elsewhere too so no judgement here.

Anyway, Grissom and Maxwell started the two fall games. So after those two, it's all up to how well fall ball went and how they look coming out of the shutdown. For weekend starters, Bartnicki, Roedig, Siegel and Smith are good guesses for returners for the last weekend and mid-week spot. Then some Fr but I doubt they'll be able to go too far.

I was listening to a D1 pod cast two nights ago. The only mention of GT in it was of Maxwell. Said he might be effective but only had two pitches - fastball and slider. I think he will start since that is what happened in the fall. But unless he gets his control in order, which he didn't this last summer (6.17 in 11.2 IP in Cape Cod) I don't know he should start. I like him coming in as a reliever given his limited pitches. Better hitters can adjust to him the more they see him.
My only real wish is that we try out a lot of guys and see who is best in actual games early in the season. Then go with who's doing the best. NC State and UVa do that more than we do. We seem to keep our starters in longer early in the season which does build up their endurance but limits others opportunities. We now have so much more quality pitching depth than we have had for a long long time so maybe that will happen.

Anyway, here are the pitchers we have before the final roster cut to 40 players. I like checking out their stats in the far right column.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Grissom is 2022 Draft Eligible

Thanks. Is that based on being 21 by the draft completion date?

Perfect Game doesn't have his birthday but says he is 20 years & 5 months now and was 19 years and 10 months for the 2020 draft. Guessing the unannounced 2022 draft will be the same as last year with a signing deadline date of 1 August, I was taking the PG data to guess he has a birthday in early August. Maybe late July. https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=499564

Either way, he should stay unless he puts up monster numbers this year. That would be great. He'll have two years eligibility left after this year and I think this year's draft is going to be one of the most competitive ones in a long time given the college talent available from the COVID mess.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Just reread this. Hard not to be optimistic about our pitching potential.
I don’t know. To me, I think the defense will be OK, but the pitching is a big if.

In addition, to me, the jury is still out on how much improvement Danny Borrell, our new pitching coach, can produce. He’s entering only his second year at the Flats — and also his second year as a college baseball coach in his career.

I do hope the pitching really improves. We’ll see.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know. To me, I think the defense will be OK, but the pitching is a big if.

In addition, to me, the jury is still out on how much improvement Danny Borrell, our new pitching coach, can produce. He’s entering only his second year at the Flats — and also his second year as a college baseball coach in his career.

I do hope the pitching really improves. We’ll see.
It IS time to see some improvement in pitching.

The AD (& CDH?) recognized a real need to invest in some quality assistant coaches (& the technology) to get over "the hump" to compete with the elite programs. Granted CDB had a lower starting point than the offense; but now is the time. Gotta show some return on all the investing. Pitching simply HAS to be better this season. No excuse.

I'm a believer... that comes easy for me.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
...... I'm a believer... that comes easy for me.

1642541614116.png

I believe pitching will be better. We had a 5.71 team ERA last year, 180th in college baseball. Gawd awful is the technical term.

Getting to a 4.50 ERA would get us to about 72nd. Getting to 50th would be about a 4.20 ERA. That's what I hope we get to.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oops! Pardon me, GTNavyNuke! Your Lucy-Charlie Brown cartoon threw me off! I didn’t notice your same link attachment until just now! My apologies …

No problem, you did it for emphasis ;) . Anyone know how to do "batch" downloads to get all ~300 teams at once rather than the 50 per page?

I'm looking at the number of unearned runs in the season (we were at 42) as another measure of defense and wanted to get everyone. It ties back into pitching since a pitcher needs to have a good defense behind him to get better numbers too. Many plays which aren't called errors are made by elite teams. So the number of errors undercounts what is the pitchers "fault". But then again, the wild pitches aren't called errors either ........

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
No problem, you did it for emphasis ;) . Anyone know how to do "batch" downloads to get all ~300 teams at once rather than the 50 per page?

I'm looking at the number of unearned runs in the season (we were at 42) as another measure of defense and wanted to get everyone. It ties back into pitching since a pitcher needs to have a good defense behind him to get better numbers too. Many plays which aren't called errors are made by elite teams. So the number of errors undercounts what is the pitchers "fault". But then again, the wild pitches aren't called errors either ........
Pitchers play defense too... some of them play it poorly. Honestly, my observation is very few play defense really well. In 2021, our pitchers accounted for 14 of the team's 72 errors (19%). 3B was the only position accounting for more errors (18) on the season. Pitchers who can't field their position fall in same category for me as basketball players that cannot make free throws. Put in the work... get better at it. The dividend is only going to help you and the team succeed. Maybe those issues (when they arise) are on the coaches. I don't know.

There is some irony (statistically speaking) that a pitcher's error(s) have a positive impact on their own (or the pitcher they just relieved) ERA.

Scenario... 2 outs and Pitcher A walks the bases loaded. Pitcher B is brought in to shut the door. Ground ball to 1B... 1B tosses to pitcher covering and he fumbles it (E1). Safe at 1st. 2 runs score. No earned runs charged to either pitcher A or B no matter how many are scored in the inning. (I think I'm right about that)

"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination." -Vin Scully

@GTNavyNuke ...I doubt any of the above relates at all to your question or your analysis. 😃