2022 GT Roster Ranked 30th Nationally in 247 Talent Composite

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Does this take into account the high school recruiting ranking of transfers we have received or their transfer portal rating?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Just published today I believe: https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

30th most talented roster in the nation, 5th in ACC (behind Clemson, Miami, UNC, FSU - all teams we play this year). Up from 33rd last year, 50th in 2018.
See, this is what is wrong with these rankings. The 2018 team won 7 games. The teams following, despite their "higher" rankings, have won 9 games in the last three years. It isn't a matter of what the overall ratings of your players are. It's a matter of whether the players suit your style of play. Cinncy (13 - 1) is 50th, Wake (11 - 3) is 68th. Some of this is scheduling, but if you saw the Cinncy - ND game last year you know that there's something wrong here. Tech did well under the former guy because he knew what he wanted. The present guy seems more attracted by how well rated the recruits are.

There's something happening here; what it is ain't exactly clear.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Does this take into account the high school recruiting ranking of transfers we have received or their transfer portal rating?
Looks like just HS ranking.

See, this is what is wrong with these rankings. The 2018 team won 7 games. The teams following, despite their "higher" rankings, have won 9 games in the last three years. It isn't a matter of what the overall ratings of your players are. It's a matter of whether the players suit your style of play. Cinncy (13 - 1) is 50th, Wake (11 - 3) is 68th. Some of this is scheduling, but if you saw the Cinncy - ND game last year you know that there's something wrong here. Tech did well under the former guy because he knew what he wanted. The present guy seems more attracted by how well rated the recruits are.

It’s coaching and strength of schedule IMO. Southern Cal is 11th, USCe is 20th, Stanford 22nd, etc. talent isn’t everything

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Stats are for making excuses.

Exceptions are allowed in stats.

As bad as cgc is by the end of the weekend gt will have a better w/l record than half of the teams in ncaa.

GT33

Helluva Engineer

With the residual much lower rated holdovers from the previous regime, the additions since 2019 must be higher rated than 30th. We've got the talent, just need to be coached. It's a good sign, we should be 7-5 against the schedule on paper. The actual results will speak for themselves.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Talent is there to win at least 6 games. Talent was here last season to win at least 6 games.

Coaching and player development matter. I hope we get better coaching and player development this season because if we don't make a bowl game this year, an entire 4 year cycle will have passed that GT has missed a bowl game. That has never happened to GT since I became a fan...and it should NEVER happen at GT. Ever.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Without doing much digging into the how or why these rankings were compiled, I worry about aggregrate rankings as they seem (to me) not factor balance into the equation. For example, say you sign 20 skill position guys who are 5* guys. This class will look great on paper but I'd rather have 12 3* "big uglies" and 8 4* skill position guys every single class.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is an improvement for sure and the talent composite is the most comprehensive measure of overall team talent. Seeing this gives me some hope that we at least make it to bowl eligibility but as a few others have mentioned, player development and coaching matter. Given our location, we should always be in the 30-20 range in talent composite especially in the portal and one free transfer in place.

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
We were told for years that GT would always have to make do with inferior athletes because of x, y, z. CGC was the exact right pick for HC to show how GT can recruit successfully. He has also provided a strong case study showing that a highly rated roster alone doesn't win games. Solving the recruiting riddle was a big step. Now for the next one, whether it's CGC or the next guy.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Composite rankings are meaningless because they don't take into account positions or experience. If the composite is boosted by inexperienced FR and SOPH and the 3-5 year players are not good, the composite is not a good predictor. If the composite is boosted by good skill position players, but you don't have linemen (and they way the services rate players, this happens) then the composite is meaningless. We haven't had balance in classes or positions the last 3 years. We are starting to get there this year, but the key word is starting.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Well, if I counted correctly and we look at the ATL chart for Clemson we have 5 Sr and 16 Jr and 47 underclassmen. The good news is that if CGC can't right the ship, however will take their place will have a core of players for a couple of years with at least average P5 talent to build from.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Composite rankings are meaningless because they don't take into account positions or experience. If the composite is boosted by inexperienced FR and SOPH and the 3-5 year players are not good, the composite is not a good predictor. If the composite is boosted by good skill position players, but you don't have linemen (and they way the services rate players, this happens) then the composite is meaningless. We haven't had balance in classes or positions the last 3 years. We are starting to get there this year, but the key word is starting.
I hear you but ever since the talent composite has been published no team outside the top 10 has ever won a national championship. It’s a darn good predictor who actually has a shot a natty. Otherwise, for the remaining 120 teams it’s meaningless

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well, if I counted correctly and we look at the ATL chart for Clemson we have 5 Sr and 16 Jr and 47 underclassmen. The good news is that if CGC can't right the ship, however will take their place will have a core of players for a couple of years with at least average P5 talent to build from.
"Whoever will take their place WILL HAVE... " assumes gt will find $ to make them want to stay instead of portal and nil.

I hope we get $$ to plus up the present coaches if they do good and hire top talent if they dont.

Saw on Rivals that Coach Johnson had recruited a new OL coach ( Stacy Sesrles) to go w sewak. Gt would not pay that much- so he bummed around at UT, UNC, LSU. Gt hired White. Now White and Sewak are out of football and Searles is at UGA.

Money hires the best ast coaches.

I LIKE the present ast coaches and hope we get better each game.

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve used Matt Millen at Detroit as a reference point, and now Mike Mayock and Gruden at the Raiders. Millen drafted great skill players like Calvin Johnson at Detroit, but didn’t build the other positions well. Mayock and Gruden might not have even accomplished that.
Belichick, on the other hand, tended to draft linemen high and often. His last few years have been bad drafts, but overall he’s been balanced and disciplined.
We don’t have a draft, but balance and discipline are possibly more important because it’s harder to recruit a team and because you only have your recruits for four years.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
And what about wake being dead last talent in ACC but playing in the ACC championship? Guess coaching matters.
Sometimes good coaching is getting the players in the right positition. A player, that was a couple of years behind me in high school, was an All State Linbacker and played his first year at the linebacker position in college. His second year he was moved to center. He hated the move, but he did it. At center he played 17 years in the NFL with 6 probowls and 1 superbowl. I'm sure there are others that were great athletes (players) that were in the wrong position.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Talent is there to win at least 6 games. Talent was here last season to win at least 6 games.

Coaching and player development matter. I hope we get better coaching and player development this season because if we don't make a bowl game this year, an entire 4 year cycle will have passed that GT has missed a bowl game. That has never happened to GT since I became a fan...and it should NEVER happen at GT. Ever.
1. I'm not sure about that. That's because there isn't much proof that the composite ratings tell us much about the available talent. I've already cited Cinncy and Wake. By the composites they should have a hard time beating anybody. Yet remarkably …

2. Yep. I share both your sentiments and your analysis. A call to Wake might be in order soon.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes good coaching is getting the players in the right positition. A player, that was a couple of years behind me in high school, was an All State Linbacker and played his first year at the linebacker position in college. His second year he was moved to center. He hated the move, but he did it. At center he played 17 years in the NFL with 6 probowls and 1 superbowl. I'm sure there are others that were great athletes (players) that were in the wrong position.
Yesss. See Bedford, Sean. Or, as a negative example, Cooper, Ken. Why was he moved, anyhow?