2022 GT Football News Thread

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Couldn't find a "general" thread for GT football. I thought there was one. (If there is, mods please merge)

Wanted to post this:

You're a good Tech man, Techst. Nevermind all those things somebody writes on the swarm bathroom about you.

What, me?

I Didnt Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
He's got my vote. About the only thing Paul didn't deliver at Tech is a national championship. And I think we came within 2 points of doing that in 2014. If we had beat FSU, it would have been an even bet, imho, against the Bama team that year and same for OSU. But … we didn't recover that on side kick and that was that.

JacketFan137

Banned
He's got my vote. About the only thing Paul didn't deliver at Tech is a national championship. And I think we came within 2 points of doing that in 2014. If we had beat FSU, it would have been an even bet, imho, against the Bama team that year and same for OSU. But … we didn't recover that on side kick and that was that.
based on the nfl talent on both of those rosters i have a hard time believing we can win. ohio state was special that year

Techster

Helluva Engineer
based on the nfl talent on both of those rosters i have a hard time believing we can win. ohio state was special that year

Would have been a fun game to watch. One of the things CPJ was REALLY good at was slowing the pace of a game, and limiting the other opponent's possessions. Our O-Line was good enough that year (maybe the best OL CPJ had at GT) for some death marches, but we also had an explosive offense that could score at any moment. JeT was phenomenal extending plays and making key passes. Our RBs could hit home runs, but could also get tough yards to extend the drive.

The only question would have been on defense. What's often overlooked in the Orange Bowl against Mississippi State is how many points and yards we gave up. If not for an all time great offense, we just might have lost that game.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson and Ralph Friedgen are two of the greatest offensive minds to ever coach the game of football. And we got the privilege of seeing both of them here at GT. I treasure so many memories they helped give me and they both absolutely deserve to be in the College Football HOF.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but so was Tech. And we would have had the advantage of playing a team that hadn't seen anything like the spread option for … well, forever. That would have been, imho, a great equalizer. Also, while we didn't have a great D, it was ok. That's all Paul ever wanted. Like he said many times, "All I want is three stops a game." People tend to forget that when they belly-ache about our Ds in his day.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson and Ralph Friedgen are two of the greatest offensive minds to ever coach the game of football. And we got the privilege of seeing both of them here at GT. I treasure so many memories they helped give me and they both absolutely deserve to be in the College Football HOF.

I would pay good money to see CPJ and Friedgen run ideas on a whiteboard. Friedgen was using option concepts back in the early 90's, but his offense didn't have nearly the option depth CPJ does (not many do). I think they could build an offense from scratch together combining their strengths and absolutely run roughshod over defenses at the highest levels of football. People often forget Friedgen was the OC the year Bobby Ross led San Diego Chargers to the Super Bowl. He's proven on the professional level. CPJ is often consulted by the NFL for his run blocking scheme, and option concepts.

Man, if you told me CPJ is coming back to GT and Friedgen would be his OC (or Co-OC), I'd sign up for that all day. Talk about a laboratory of offensive excellence GT would become.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Would have been a fun game to watch. One of the things CPJ was REALLY good at was slowing the pace of a game, and limiting the other opponent's possessions. Our O-Line was good enough that year (maybe the best OL CPJ had at GT) for some death marches, but we also had an explosive offense that could score at any moment. JeT was phenomenal extending plays and making key passes. Our RBs could hit home runs, but could also get tough yards to extend the drive.

The only question would have been on defense. What's often overlooked in the Orange Bowl against Mississippi State is how many points and yards we gave up. If not for an all time great offense, we just might have lost that game.
Well they did have Zak Prescot at QB and beat Bama during the regular season iirc.....we def would have had a punchers chance In the playoffs.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I would pay good money to see CPJ and Friedgen run ideas on a whiteboard. Friedgen was using option concepts back in the early 90's, but his offense didn't have nearly the option depth CPJ does (not many do). I think they could build an offense from scratch together combining their strengths and absolutely run roughshod over defenses at the highest levels of football. People often forget Friedgen was the OC the year Bobby Ross led San Diego Chargers to the Super Bowl. He's proven on the professional level. CPJ is often consulted by the NFL for his run blocking scheme, and option concepts.

Man, if you told me CPJ is coming back to GT and Friedgen would be his OC (or Co-OC), I'd sign up for that all day. Talk about a laboratory of offensive excellence GT would become.
OMG I would totally pay good money to see CPJ and Fridge riffing on football.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Couldn't find a "general" thread for GT football. I thought there was one. (If there is, mods please merge)

Wanted to post this:

Honestly not trying to take away from anything here. I love CPJ. But is what Ken saying actually true regarding CPJ taking us to our first two major bowls since the Bobby Dodd era? Wasn’t the Citrus Bowl a “major” bowl in the early 90s? I mean it featured a team that won the natty.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

That defense, as poor as it was, got allot of turn overs.

slugboy

Staff member
Honestly not trying to take away from anything here. I love CPJ. But is what Ken saying actually true regarding CPJ taking us to our first two major bowls since the Bobby Dodd era? Wasn’t the Citrus Bowl a “major” bowl in the early 90s? I mean it featured a team that won the natty.
The Citrus was a good bowl, but it’s not the Orange or Sugar or Rose Bowl. It’s the next tier down.
Our GAME was major, but the bowl wasn’t a big bowl.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The Citrus was a good bowl, but it’s not the Orange or Sugar or Rose Bowl. It’s the next tier down.
Our GAME was major, but the bowl wasn’t a big bowl.
The Citrus was a top tier bowl in 1990. Washington moved up to #8 by virtue of defeating #17 Iowa in the Rose granddaddy of them all bowls. I was in New Orleans watching our GT team with Kenny Anderson in the SugarBowl hoops tournament, while a few days later UVa. dropped out of the top 20 after losing to Tenn. who ended up #10 in the final AP poll. Seasons such as that one, led to the BCS and present format.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
The Citrus was a top tier bowl in 1990. Washington moved up to #8 by virtue of defeating #17 Iowa in the Rose granddaddy of them all bowls. I was in New Orleans watching our GT team with Kenny Anderson in the SugarBowl hoops tournament, while a few days later UVa. dropped out of the top 20 after losing to Tenn. who ended up #10 in the final AP poll. Seasons such as that one, led to the BCS and present format.
It was one of the two most important games that year, but I think it was just the best bowl available for us at the time. Like other fans, I remember thinking we'd been shut out. Colorado and Notre Dame were in the Orange bowl, which signed the teams early as a rematch of the previous championship game.
The Citrus Bowl lucked into GT because the bowl dance cards filled up too early. It ended up a mismatch between a great GT team and a #19 Nebraska team.
The Rose Bowl was the Pac10/Big10 game, and although it was a big bowl, it often wasn't an important game in the 80's and 90's.
The Sugar Bowl was a big bowl, and it was set to match the SEC champ + another team, and they picked UVA.
Miami played Texas in a top-5 matchup in the Cotton Bowl.
The right matchup was GT vs Colorado in the Orange Bowl, but the Orange Bowl committee picked too soon, went for a #5 Notre Dame and a big gate, got themselves a championship game but not an undisputed championship game.
We weren't going to bump Texas out of the Cotton Bowl and choosing between Miami at #3 and GT at #2 was a tough decision. We were recovering our ranking at the time that bowls got set too. The end of year win over UGA bumped us up a bit.
The other matchup that should have happened was GT vs Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl.

I'll stick with my opinion that the Citrus was a tier-2 bowl in general.