2022 Atlanta Braves

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Gotta love the Braves announcers criticizing Acuna for being pissed about inside pitches.

"Not every inside pitch has intent, Ronald."

Then the next pitch literally goes behind him and hits him.

Way to have your guy's back.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems like Acuna gets throw at frequently, but in HBP per game, he's not in the top 100 in mlb. The last time he was in the Top 100 per game (so remember that adjusts for his missed games) was 2020.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It seems like Acuna gets throw at frequently, but in HBP per game, he's not in the top 100 in mlb. The last time he was in the Top 100 per game (so remember that adjusts for his missed games) was 2020.

It's not about the actuality. It's about them being raging homers for some, but not for him.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
20th pick, Round One; Braves:
Owen Murphy, RHP/INF, Riverside-Brookfield HS (IL): Shohei Ohtani's success has caused teams to think new thoughts about the viability of two-way players, but our guess is Murphy will store away his bat after he turns pro. (Carson Williams, Spencer Schwhellenbach, and Masyn Winn are recent two-way players who shed the label after draft day.) Murphy has a simple, mature delivery and a flat release point that enhances his low-to-mid-90s fastball when he elevates it in the zone. His dogged competitiveness and his above-average athleticism fuel our suspicion that he'll take a step forward once he prioritizes pitching; if and when that happens, look for him to work on nurturing his changeup and on tightening and speeding up his slurvy breaker. From CBS Sports.

CB Round A, #35 Braves: JR Ritchie, P, Bainbridge HS (WA)

Round Two, Pick #57 Braves: Cole Phillips, P, Boerne HS (TX

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/spo...dge-islands-jr-ritchie-mlb-draft/10083775002/
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...-power-arm-expected-to-go-early-in-mlb-draft/
http://dodgersdigest.com/2022/07/16/2022-mlb-draft-profile-rhp-ian-jr-ritchie-bainbridge-hs-wash/

https://www.batterypower.com/2022/7...braves-select-cole-phillips-57th-overall-pick
https://www.draysbay.com/2022/7/16/...-draft-high-school-pitchers-barriera-snelling
https://www.expressnews.com/sports/...m-surgery-Boerne-s-Cole-Phillips-17310000.php
https://www.nwahomepage.com/hogville/arkansas-pitching-pledge-phillips-eyes-mlb-draft/

Compensation Pick, #76. Braves: Blake Burkhalter, P, Auburn
https://auburntigers.com/news/2022/7/18/baseball-blake-burkhalter-drafted-by-braves.aspx
https://www.batterypower.com/2022/7...ves-select-blake-burkhalter-76th-overall-pick
https://dothaneagle.com/sports/college/auburn/article_acaf706e-0652-11ed-b1fa-6ff34c9e3705.html
https://www.on3.com/college/auburn-...ake-burkhalter-2022-mlb-draft-atlanta-braves/

Drake Baldwin is the Braves' 3rd round pick. Analytics love him, although opinions are more mixed when you asked scouts in terms of his hit tool. First bat the Braves have taken in the 2022 draft. Missouri St.

Braves select David McCabe with their 4th round pick. Big corner IF. NC Charlotte.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/draft/atlanta-braves/

155. Braves: Ignacio Alvarez, 3B, Riverside CC
185. Braves: Seth Keller, P, Hanover HS (VA)
215. Braves: Adam Maier, P, Oregon
245. Braves: Jason Franks, P, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
275. Braves: Cory Acton, 2B, Georgia
305. Braves: Andrew Keck, C, Southeast Missouri State

Dana Brown expects to have all 12 draft picks in those first 10 rounds signed before this weekend.

This is a typical Braves draft pick, in which they take a calculated risk and usually end up with a MLB arm spending 7th round money(slider is his best pitch now, but his change up has an even higher ceiling):

335 Braves Ian Mejia RHP New Mex. St. 11th round.
365 Braves Justin Janas 1B Illinois
395 Braves Cedric De Grandpre RHP Chipola College
425 Braves Landon Harper RHP Southern Miss
455 Braves Williams Silva P Miami Dade
485 Braves E.J. Exposito SS Long Island
515 Braves Kevin Kilpatrick Jr. OF Central Florida
545 Braves Noah Williams OF Redondo Union
575 Braves Christian Jackson SS Dutchtown HS
605 Braves Keshawn Ogans SS California

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Was listening to DC radio guys (who I respect). Soto was the topic. They do not believe he'll be traded this season, but they were speculating on the type of package that it would take.

The Braves deal they floated would be Soto (you would get him for next 3 postseason before contract expired) FOR:
Strider
Harris II
& 2-3 high end prospects (from a stacked Braves farm system)

You you guys willing to give that up for Soto?

In addition (this is funny).... they are saying a trade would involve Patrick Corbin... just to get his inflated contract off the books. IOW... you get Soto & this other large "bill"

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Talk to me, eggsperts. Am I wrong in thinking the Braves need starting pitching?

And why does it feel like I say this every time Morton starts?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Talk to me, eggsperts. Am I wrong in thinking the Braves need starting pitching?

And why does it feel like I say this every time Morton starts?
We have a very strong front of the rotation in Fried, Wright, and Strider. Morton has been solid but not up to his usual self. Anderson is really searching right now. It'd probably be a good idea to pick up a starter and send Anderson down so he can work on some things. We also need to do something about Will Smith, and pick up a reliable 2nd base like Drury until Ozzie gets back.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We have a very strong front of the rotation in Fried, Wright, and Strider. Morton has been solid but not up to his usual self. Anderson is really searching right now. It'd probably be a good idea to pick up a starter and send Anderson down so he can work on some things. We also need to do something about Will Smith, and pick up a reliable 2nd base like Drury until Ozzie gets back.

Agree on all counts. I kinda hate not seeing them in the mix for trades. I know they're low on assets though so I hope they can be creative.

And the thing to do with Willi Smith is trade him to whatever team ends up with Soto. So he can dance with him or carry his bags or whatever TF he wants to do to him. 'Cause he certainly doesn't wanna pitch to him.

The fake, old-school tough guy act he portrays when he faces him is flat out embarrassing at this point.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Quick, somebody summarize trade deadline for the Braves. Should I be mad or happy? Go.

serious the simpsons GIF

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Aye @Buzzbomb ,take all the stuff I (allegedly) used to say about Riley and apply it all to Ian Anderson.
I hear you, buddy. I’d build him up to you, if I could. That way us teaming up together would produce another 10 year-212 mm. contract. We both know pitchers don’t get the long term deals from the Braves. On the other Tech website, they want to send him down or DFA Ian Anderson. I tried to point out that his inconsistency is due to the longer, more complicated stride in his windup. He knows about it, and it straightens his pitches, causing them to move up or hang in the zone. When he shortens or compacts the stride process, changes speeds between 80-94 mph, the movement on his pitches becomes much better. I’m not a pitching guru, but because of his good showing in the postseason, I would stay with him in MLB and keep the vote of confidence. Nothing to be gained in Gwinnett every 5 days, at this point. Throwing on the side between starts, you know Kranitz is pointing to the mechanics. It’s not the Kyle Wright thing where you move him to the furthest point left on the mound rubber.

When they all wanted to dump Dansby Swanson at the beginning, I pointed out that he was opening up with his left hip. It’s primarily locked in now. Small things make a big difference in results. Easy to talk about for me, however habits are more difficult to change at their level.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What a woeful performance in the supposed biggest r.s. series of the year. Mets flexed on the Braves hard. Even in the game they won the Mets forced them to use their closer.

I do find the volume of infield singles and successful weak contact the Mets get is a bit odd. But perhaps that's more sustainable than the whole 'hit a homer or strikeout' approach? Eggsperts, I await your thoughts.

serious the simpsons GIF

Guess we'll find out in the 'yoffs. Braves better hope the Mets get upset before they have to face them.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
What a woeful performance in the supposed biggest r.s. series of the year. Mets flexed on the Braves hard. Even in the game they won the Mets forced them to use their closer.

I do find the volume of infield singles and successful weak contact the Mets get is a bit odd. But perhaps that's more sustainable than the whole 'hit a homer or strikeout' approach? Eggsperts, I await your thoughts.

serious the simpsons GIF

Guess we'll find out in the 'yoffs. Braves better hope the Mets get upset before they have to face them.
I still think we'll be fine. It was going to be extremely tough to win a 5 game series in New York. We need to win today and then we get the Mets for 7 more games all at home. Going 5-2 will be tough, but I think if the Braves can do that they'll win the division.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I still think we'll be fine. It was going to be extremely tough to win a 5 game series in New York. We need to win today and then we get the Mets for 7 more games all at home. Going 5-2 will be tough, but I think if the Braves can do that they'll win the division.

A series loss wouldnt be a big deal. These games havent really been competitive, imho. That's my problem.

If these teams are as close as they're supposed to be, it shouldn't have been tough to just look competitive. The Mets have had their way, for the most part.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
A series loss wouldnt be a big deal. These games havent really been competitive, imho. That's my problem.

If these teams are as close as they're supposed to be, it shouldn't have been tough to just look competitive. The Mets have had their way, for the most part.
The Mets have definitely outplayed the Braves this weekend, but we've also made a lot of uncharacteristic errors. Snit is also using the bullpen differently because of the 5 games in 4 days and that's hurt a lot too. It seems like when we start making a comeback, the pen gives up some more runs because Snit doesn't want to use the main guys and we need the secondary options to eat some innings.

It's just been a weird series all around imo. The umpires have been awful for both sides and that replay yesterday was unforgivable. What's the point of saying there needs to be clear and convincing evidence when a call like that is overturned? There was nothing clear about that play, it should have stood either way.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The Mets have definitely outplayed the Braves this weekend, but we've also made a lot of uncharacteristic errors. Snit is also using the bullpen differently because of the 5 games in 4 days and that's hurt a lot too. It seems like when we start making a comeback, the pen gives up some more runs because Snit doesn't want to use the main guys and we need the secondary options to eat some innings.

It's just been a weird series all around imo. The umpires have been awful for both sides and that replay yesterday was unforgivable. What's the point of saying there needs to be clear and convincing evidence when a call like that is overturned? There was nothing clear about that play, it should have stood either way.

Agree on the umpires. They've been noticeably bad for both sided.

Perhaps the odd, 5-game series did impact things.