2022 Atlanta Braves

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Josh Tomlin is the third and final Brave with an option. It’s a club option, they most probably won’t pick up.

Here are the automatic qualifiers for Free Agency(7 for Atlanta):

Did not realize that Alex Anthopoulos tested positive for COVID and was at home celebrating, instead of Houston.

The Braves currently have 14 players who are eligible for salary arbitration this offseason: Orlando Arcia, Johan Camargo, Grant Dayton, Max Fried, Guillermo Heredia, Luke Jackson, Tyler Matzek, A.J. Minter, Sean Newcomb, Austin Riley, Richard Rodriguez, Mike Soroka and Dansby Swanson, Adam Duvall.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Cot's obligations for 2022:

40-man payroll of $158M on OD 2021. Current obligations of $140M, including the arbitration forecasts from Baseball Prospectus, which are usually pretty close. This excludes Freddie. Their forecast for Freddie is 5-6 years at $27M per. So if AA resigns him (as we all expect), that's $167M obligated, which is already a healthy increase above 2021 and they'd still like 2 OFers (assuming Ozuna is DH), 1 RH bullpen arm, and 1 back-of-the-rotation arm.

Couple of unknowns: 1) Braves were as high as $181M in 2020, so there may still be room above the $167M. 2) Ozuna may or may not be back. If he's not, there's $16M extra to play with (but also a need for a DH). 3) We may or may not get a DH - I assume we will, but it's not certain. 4) CBA negotiations could throw this whole thing for a loop. What if we end up with a salary cap?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
There are salaries such as Mike Soroka’s that insurance did or will cover.
If you look at some salaries like Arcia, Rodriguez, Luke Jackson, you can see where almost 8 m. can be cut. There are others. Yes, other bargains await as teams will trim whether the new CBA comes in December or April or ? and guys really have heard the word wanting to play here, while more will now.

If you read my post in the ‘21 thread, not sure they have to pay for a back-end starter? Atlanta has four that are 1’s or 2’s. Fried will get locked up, and maybe Anderson? Not to mention Wright, Ynoa, Touki, et al. They could trade for a young reliever or two. My main concern is the OF(Dansby, Freddie will get multi-year deals and possibly Riley?), as in not sure about Pache[never been a Waters fan & he‘s totally unproven at the MLB level with his hitting at this point?], I would prefer Duvall and Rosario. Once all the procedural moves take place, Ozuna is either traded or they DH him or MLB‘s policy in the present CBA still allows an out with that contract. If there is no DH, that money can be saved for the next trade deadline. DH doesn’t have to cost too much on the budget. Even a young player like Shewmake or Harris can be added to the roster for such duty or filling in for a position player to get a day off occasionally. Look for Shuster from WF to be added to the bullpen later in the year. Hearing he’s a fast riser like Strider was this season.

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Did any of you watch the parade?
At the podium…Dansby, Travis, Ozzie, all said they want Freddie re-signed.
Freeman kept smiling & at one point, looked up to the sky with his hands in prayer form.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Freddie will resign. He’s more valuable to ATL than anyone else, and ATL values him more than anyone else. ATL can afford to pay him. My guess is that AA wants to see the CBA result, first.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
If you look at some salaries like Arcia, Rodriguez, Luke Jackson, you can see where almost 8 m. can be cut. There are others. Yes, other bargains await as teams will trim whether the new CBA comes in December or April or ? and guys really have heard the word wanting to play here, while more will now.

If you read my post in the ‘21 thread, not sure they have to pay for a back-end starter? Atlanta has four that are 1’s or 2’s. Fried will get locked up, and maybe Anderson? Not to mention Wright, Ynoa, Touki, et al. They could trade for a young reliever or two. My main concern is the OF(Dansby, Freddie will get multi-year deals and possibly Riley?), as in not sure about Pache[never been a Waters fan & he‘s totally unproven at the MLB level with his hitting at this point?], I would prefer Duvall and Rosario. Once all the procedural moves take place, Ozuna is either traded or they DH him or MLB‘s policy in the present CBA still allows an out with that contract. If there is no DH, that money can be saved for the next trade deadline. DH doesn’t have to cost too much on the budget. Even a young player like Shewmake or Harris can be added to the roster for such duty or filling in for a position player to get a day off occasionally. Look for Shuster from WF to be added to the bullpen later in the year. Hearing he’s a fast riser like Strider was this season.
My outfielders would be Acune, Soler, Rosario, and Duval. Play a mixture as often as I would want, but now if the designator is in play then with the great infield this 2022 team would be the most exciting team in Atlanta history!!!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
My outfielders would be Acune, Soler, Rosario, and Duval. Play a mixture as often as I would want, but now if the designator is in play then with the great infield this 2022 team would be the most exciting team in Atlanta history!!!
I'm hopping to see us bring back Rosario and Duvall. I like Soler, but I want to see Pache's defense in CF next year. Acuna doesn't need to be playing CF coming off of an ACL tear which means he needs to stay in RF. I also don't want to see Duvall or Rosario in CF everyday. I think the offense will be good enough around Pache that we can play him strictly for his defense and hope that he can make adjustments at the plate like he was doing in AAA this year.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

I think we need to bring back all 3 of the arb players that you mentioned. Arcia provides solid defense and depth off the bench. I know how you feel about Jackson, but he was really good this year and deserves to be brought back. As for Rodriguez, you don't give up Wilson for only half a season of Rodriguez. I know he was left off of the postseason roster, but I really hope we bring him back.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Freddie didn’t want the Braves to negotiate during the season. It will be done soon.

This is what I figured. You don't hear any real rumors of x team lining up fa visits or y team setting up meetings, etc. Seems too quiet for there to be any substantive chances he'll shop.

As for the OL, I can't see how you make a case for not bringing back Rosario and the Cuban Missle Crisis. I imagine Duvall ends up elsewhere. Just a feeling. Could be gas. I did go for a 3rd bowl of ice cream today.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I like Rodriguez but we left him off the rosters. Don’t want him at AAA all year as they did to Wright. I’m sure they want him to learn/have another pitch.

Puke J. says he can’t get teams like L.A. out. That attitude gets me.

Arcia, o.k. if you want him. But we still have plenty of other fat to trim.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I'm hopping to see us bring back Rosario and Duvall. I like Soler, but I want to see Pache's defense in CF next year. Acuna doesn't need to be playing CF coming off of an ACL tear which means he needs to stay in RF. I also don't want to see Duvall or Rosario in CF everyday. I think the offense will be good enough around Pache that we can play him strictly for his defense and hope that he can make adjustments at the plate like he was doing in AAA this year.
Sorry, but I am not for Pache because he has not shown any good bat so far and he is a good fieldey, but not great!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Sorry, but I am not for Pache because he has not shown any good bat so far and he is a good fieldey, but not great!
I agree, only because he got really down when hitting a little over a buck/.100. Started to sulk. He needs more AAA.

I just don’t like paying Rich Rod 2.75 m to play for Gwinnett. Luke is 3.5 m. & I’m not fooled when he gets bad hitters or bad teams out with his slider. I brought up Arcia because he would get more than 2.2 m. again next year. What did he hit? .216? He’s versatile, I get that. Got to be someone else that gets cut from another team, that can give us more? Heredia got 2m., Camargo 1.5 m., Tomlin 1.25 m. These 6 salaries can give Duvall arbitration, and sign Martin, Chavez, Biddle.

Atlanta was 2nd in attendance for MLB(said a player at the parade today)with a comparable television deal as most clubs, so Liberty has no excuses.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I agree, only because he got really down when hitting a little over a buck/.100. Started to sulk. He needs more AAA.

I just don’t like paying Rich Rod 2.75 m to play for Gwinnett. Luke is 3.5 m. & I’m not fooled when he gets bad hitters or bad teams out with his slider. I brought up Arcia because he would get more than 2.2 m. again next year. What did he hit? .216? He’s versatile, I get that. Got to be someone else that gets cut from another team, that can give us more? Heredia got 2m., Camargo 1.5 m., Tomlin 1.25 m. These 6 salaries can give Duvall arbitration, and sign Martin, Chavez, Biddle.

Atlanta was 2nd in attendance for MLB(said a player at the parade today)with a comparable television deal as most clubs, so Liberty has no excuses.
Thanks for the response and please keep the updates for us!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I’m not a contract Attorney, although reading a bit the last few days to share more….

In Pederson’s case(from studying parts of the CBA from 2017-21), and since he didn’t play a full season in Atlanta, the Braves couldn’t make a Q.O. where he would have 10 days to accept or decline. Therefore the option on the 4.5 m. came next. He turned it down and our team has to pay the 2.5 m.(I didn’t know that such a sum is part of the contract signed w/ the Cubs), as it’s a back-ended payment from the agreement in force; Think of it as a deferred amount inherited from the trading team, the Cubs. So either way, mutual option or not, Atlanta has to pay Duvall the 3 m. buyout from the Marlins contract. The players get that money, no matter if they become F.A. or go into arbitration because they don’t have six years of service time. So the Braves just paid 5.5 m. and don’t have either signed.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Braves declined Tomlin’s option, by paying 250k and avoiding a 1 m. dollar contract.

Demeritte was reacquired last February as a F.A. He was sent to Detroit in 2019 in the Shane Greene deal.

Dayton was injured earlier this season.

From MLBTR:
The Braves announced a series of roster transactions, including the news that Josh Tomlin’s 2022 club option has been declined. Left-hander Grant Dayton has been released, and outfielder Terrance Gore has been outrighted to Triple-A. Joining the 40-man roster are outfielder Travis Demeritte and right-hander Alan Rangel, whose contracts were selected from Triple-A. Ronald Acuna Jr. and Mike Soroka were also reinstated from the 60-day injured list as procedural moves.

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Well this is good news.

It typically does go up with inflation, and almost has to unless in a rebuild that doesn’t include absorbing salaries from the past.

I keep hearing Atlanta was second to the Dodgers in MLB attendance? Surprised the Yankees or larger markets couldn’t outdraw the Braves? What does L.M. make off The Battery concessions, merch., et al.?

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
It typically does go up with inflation, and almost has to unless in a rebuild that doesn’t include absorbing salaries from the past.
I don’t think he would have said that if it was going up a few million for inflation.

Braves second in total and average attendance based on this

Maybe I missed something but how did the Mets only have 72 home games this season? Did they play some games with no fans?