2022 ACC Baseball

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Posting this in multiple locations that likely have no relevance to the particular thread I'm posting it in, but that's because I have a baseball rules question that piqued my interest during the Mets - Nationals game tonight and I want as many knowledgeable baseball fans to weigh in as possible.

I have always believed that if a runner is hit by a batted ball in fair territory he is out and the ball is dead. However, during the Mets - Nationals game tonight, there was a ball hit just past the first baseman Alonso that hit the runner on first in the back as he tried to get down to the ground to avoid the ball. The ball caromed into foul territory on the 1B side and the umpires called the runner out and a dead ball.

However, the Mets announcers claimed that the ball should not have been called a dead ball because the ball was past the first defender, i.e. 1B Alonso, and the next closest defender, the second baseman, did not have a play on the ball. Therefore, it should have been a live ball, with the base runners free to advance, including the runner that was hit by the ball.

Most of the time when we see this is when a ball hits a runner in the hole between first and second, or second and third. In that case, the "first" defender that usually has a chance to field the ball is typically behind the runner. Therefore, a dead ball and the baserunner is out. In this case, the fielder was in front of the runner that was hit and the ball was past him.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this or if I am making s*** up.
The runner is not out if he is touched by a batted ball after it passes through or by an infielder (except the pitcher). We're talking about when a base runner is passing behind the infielder while fielder is making a play on the ball, but the infielder then misplays the ball. The misplayed ball passes through the infielder's legs, or by him on either side, and then touches the runner. This is not interference. The ball is live. Play on. However (this is important), when the umpire sees this, he gives the safe sign to signal that he saw what happened and he's calling it nothing.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Tommy Tanks will definitely be in the SEC next year playing for 6 figures. Probably one of the SEC West powerhouses: Ole Miss, Miss State, Ark, A&M, etc. Players should be paid what they’re worth, and they should be able to transfer and go to any school they wish, but the perversion of college sports that NIL money combined with the new transfer rules have ruined the experience for me. College baseball was the most pure among the big 3, and now this sort of stuff is making its way into the only big sport that had any sort of purity. It’s sad really. At this point I’m 100% ready to abolish the NCAA and college athletics altogether. You want to specialize in a sport and maybe make a career out of it? You’re not going to do it in college. I hope we go the European route. State sponsored higher educational institutions should not be responsible for raising athletes anymore.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Tommy Tanks will definitely be in the SEC next year playing for 6 figures. Probably one of the SEC West powerhouses: Ole Miss, Miss State, Ark, A&M, etc. Players should be paid what they’re worth, and they should be able to transfer and go to any school they wish, but the perversion of college sports that NIL money combined with the new transfer rules have ruined the experience for me. College baseball was the most pure among the big 3, and now this sort of stuff is making its way into the only big sport that had any sort of purity. It’s sad really. At this point I’m 100% ready to abolish the NCAA and college athletics altogether. You want to specialize in a sport and maybe make a career out of it? You’re not going to do it in college. I hope we go the European route. State sponsored higher educational institutions should not be responsible for raising athletes anymore.
Damn, I guess this means we will tank in baseball too.