2022-23 Season

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good CDH interview here if you haven't already seen it (or perhaps this is already posted here and I missed it...).

Thank you for posting. Good stuff. This interview should provide some "triggers" to root out the pessimists & optimists out there.

Key words & phrases:
Manufacturing runs
Top 6 pitching
Top 6 offense
Top 6 defense
Bunting
Stealing bases
Weiters - a father, a student, a coach
DBo an "ace"
Ramsey an "ace"
Analytics

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you for posting. Good stuff. This interview should provide some "triggers" to root out the pessimists & optimists out there.

Key words & phrases:
Manufacturing runs
Top 6 pitching
Top 6 offense
Top 6 defense
Bunting
Stealing bases
DBo an "ace"
Ramsey an "ace"
Analytics
Fred if I had your summary earlier that would have been 32 minutes of my life back 🤣

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Wish they'd mic the questions....
Watch at 1.5 speed to save time. (that's what I do for work meetings)

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watched an interview on the local news with CDH. He stated that he can’t replace a lineup that went 8 deep with guys who could all lift it out of the park at any given time. Said they would have to place an emphasis on defense & pitching this season.

We didn't place an emphasis on pitching and defense last year? Hall said we did emphasize last year but this year we really need to. get better. No ****. What's different other than realizing to make regionals we have to get better on pitching and defense. Caveman baseball won't get us to regionals this year ( to not advance) when facing better pitching.

Looking forward to seeing if we play better baseball. Talk is talk.

Key words & phrases:
Manufacturing runs
Top 6 pitching
Top 6 offense
Top 6 defense
Bunting
Stealing bases
DBo an "ace"
Ramsey an "ace"
Analytics

Also:
Compton and Jackson staying at 3rd and SS. Campbell at 2nd.
Also, Geisler, Finley and DiSigna maybe at1st. DiSpigna in LF
Tyler Minnick @C looking good but Rubenstein starting.

A lot more talk about middle relievers. McGuire & Hill starting. Finateri bullpen. Carwhile injured knee. Dalton Smith likley to come in and go through rotation once.

Hall seemed really happy; not going anywhere was my impression. Said it was good we weren't ranked; he porbably wouldn't rank us either. Good that we have to prove ourselves.

Matt Wieters has added a lot to coaching and may be calling pitches when he's at the games.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Less than 2-1/2 weeks to go.

Smart post:

Oh yeah, from this at D1, looks like they are picking us to finish 9th in the ACC. I know this was posted before, but not the ninth aspect I don't think. I don't see this but then again everyone has an opinion.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Less than 2-1/2 weeks to go.

Smart post:

Oh yeah, from this at D1, looks like they are picking us to finish 9th in the ACC. I know this was posted before, but not the ninth aspect I don't think. I don't see this but then again everyone has an opinion.

And ACC coaches expect us to finish 5th in Coastal, about 9th or 10th overall.

https://theacc.com/news/2023/2/2/lo...lead-acc-baseball-coaches-preseason-poll.aspx

I was feeling snarky about that till I remembered that we finished about that in 2022. Gotta prove it on the field. Hall siad something to that effect in his interview above.

1675606373598.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
And ACC coaches expect us to finish 5th in Coastal, about 9th or 10th overall.

https://theacc.com/news/2023/2/2/lo...lead-acc-baseball-coaches-preseason-poll.aspx

I was feeling snarky about that till I remembered that we finished about that in 2022. Gotta prove it on the field. Hall siad something to that effect in his interview above.

View attachment 13980
History has shown... the ACC coaches (or their secretaries?) are more wrong than I when it comes to predicting ACC team standings.

IIRC (not actually going to check) ;)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
History has shown... the ACC coaches (or their secretaries?) are more wrong than I when it comes to predicting ACC team standings.

IIRC (not actually going to check) ;)

History has shown that most pre-season polls are weighed heavily to the last seasons' performance. (I'm not checking either but its what I've seen regardless of college sport.)

History has also shown a wide variance in standings from one collegiate year to the next.

Polls aren't reliable. Q.E.D.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just an observation. GT underperforms the Perfect Game ranked talent. Nothing new here, but a long term trend.

We aren't ranked this year even though our 3 year average PG class ranking is 8th. Time for a change.

1676150240910.png

1676150333478.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just an observation. GT underperforms the Perfect Game ranked talent. Nothing new here, but a long term trend.

We aren't ranked this year even though our 3 year average PG class ranking is 8th. Time for a change.

View attachment 13999

View attachment 14000
This sort of assumes PG does a good job ranking talent. Is that measured/tracked by anyone?

I'm also an anti RPI guy. I don't have a better way but RPI is flawed.