2022-23 Season

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Just checked out our schedule on ramblinwreck and I noticed they are showing two games at Mercer instead of the typical home & home. With the April 25 game listed as away but in ATL, I'm assuming this is actually a home game and just a typo?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I can get behind the logic in this, but it's never been quite the bee in my bonnet that it has been for some fonts.

I've always appreciated that the 2-seed in a regional would have an opportunity to bat in the bottom at some point. I guess this is more reason to get that top-8 seed...
I got mixed feelings about it. I think it’s a better system than it was, but still far from perfect.

If it were up to me; in a regional the highest seed in whichever side of the bracket you’re in should be the home team, and in the final, the regional record takes precedence in game 1 of the final, seed takes precedence in game 2

But let’s take our last home regional against Auburn for an example. It should’ve worked out where we were home in the first 2 games against FAMU & Auburn. Assuming we still lost the Auburn game, we should’ve been the home team against Coastal, then the road team against Auburn in game 1 of the final. If we win game 1 we become the home team in game 2.

If there were ever a scenario where a #4 seed happened to start 2-0, they should be the home team in game 1 of the regional final IMO. They earned that right by playing the best over the weekend.

I think the Supers should always be a 1-1-1 format as well. Changing that format is really bad IMO, much worse than changing the regional format. Especially since there are no real objective qualifications for being a top 8 seed, and the seeds are given out based on subjective biases most of the time. Like, the #8 national seed being the permanent home team against the #9 national seed just seems kind of dumb to me. There’s almost no real argument you could make to definitively say the team they put at 8 deserved their spot way more than the team they put at 9. It’s even more reason for SEC teams to push the narrative that they’re “so much better” than everyone else. It’ll end up being 5 of the top 8 out of the SEC and they’ll have an even larger advantage than they already do.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess this philosophically is good as it rewards season long performance. Now we just have to win our games.

Anyone know the advantage of batting second on a neutral field? I was going to ask how much of the "home filed advantage" is due to being at home and how much is from batting second.
I'm not sure it rewards season long performance. It rewards a subjective ranking system that has traditionally been biased toward the SEC. If it rewarded season long performance then a Coastal Carolina who finished the season 34-5 would be seeded higher than a South Carolina team who finished 24-14. But that will never happen because the ranking system is based on quality of opponents which is determined by a flawed ranking system.

That being said, I do like the new format compared to the old one.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not sure it rewards season long performance. It rewards a subjective ranking system that has traditionally been biased toward the SEC. If it rewarded season long performance then a Coastal Carolina who finished the season 34-5 would be seeded higher than a South Carolina team who finished 24-14. But that will never happen because the ranking system is based on quality of opponents which is determined by a flawed ranking system.

That being said, I do like the new format compared to the old one.

We usually get ranked higher than we perform in post season. At least the last 15 years or so. So this is good for us?

I'd always rather see us bat second since the game is over quicker if we are ahead and we don't burn pitchers. If not we have a chance to catch up. But I think most of the advantage is from playing at home and sleeping and living like you usually do. So I'd guess its home filed that counts more, but like @FredJacket , my "feel" sucks.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
And here are Kristian's more complete stats. Interesting. With the .922 fielding at SS, probably in the OF or DH. At least till he gets some more experience. (Most don't start off as all-stars - tic)

I thought I read somewhere he will play 2B for us with Jackson at SS.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we are 8th in ACC, I won't consider the season a success. But that's the best D1 baseball has us ......
1673999864692.png

This year I think we do better because our pitching is going to be better.

Charlie Brown & Football.png

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Wasn’t quite sure where to post this but in hopes our numbers would improve this year, this seemed as a good a thread as any. In all candor, I had to look up UTRGV to see what school came in at 50 and beat us in average home attendance. Hopefully this year is different.

Attachments

• EDFED58E-5C0C-4391-BFE3-D3D329DC7E94.jpeg
    EDFED58E-5C0C-4391-BFE3-D3D329DC7E94.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 45