2022-23 men's schedule is set

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Tip times and TV coverage still to be completed

Nov. 7Mon.CLAYTON STATE
Nov. 12Sat.at Georgia State
Nov. 17Thu.NORTHERN ILLINOIS (Fort Myers Tip-Off campus game)
Nov. 21Mon.vs. Utah (Fort Myers Tip-Off)
Nov. 23Wed.Marquette or Mississippi State (Fort Myers Tip-Off)
Nov. 26Sat.NORTH ALABAMA
Nov. 29Tue.at Iowa (ACC/Big Ten Challenge]
Dec. 2Fri.NORTHEASTERN
Dec. 6Tue.GEORGIA
Dec. 10Sat.at North Carolina
Dec. 17Sat.ALABAMA STATE
Dec. 21Wed.CLEMSON
Dec. 31Sat.VIRGINIA
Jan. 4Wed.MIAMI
Jan. 7Sat.at Florida State
Jan. 10Tue.at Notre Dame
Jan. 14Sat.PITTSBURGH
Jan. 17Tue.NC STATE
Jan. 21Sat.SYRACUSE
Jan. 24Tue.at Clemson
Jan. 28Sat.DUKE
Feb. 1Wed.at Louisville
Feb. 4Sat.at NC State
Feb. 8Wed.NOTRE DAME
Feb. 11Sat.at Wake Forest
Feb. 15Wed.VIRGINIA TECH
Feb. 18Sat.FLORIDA TECH
Feb. 21Tue.at Pittsburgh
Feb. 25Sat.LOUISVILLE
Feb. 28Tue.at Syracuse
March 4Sat.at Boston College
March 7-11Tue.-Sat.ACC Tournament (Greensboro, N.C.)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Manageable schedule. Duke, UNC, FSU and UVA all just once. If we are trying to dance no room to muck up early on.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
This is perhaps the weakest non-conference schedule in the history of non-conference schedules.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nah, there have been far worse. That said, that’s exactly what is needed. This squad needs to feast on as many cupcakes as possible.

We’re counting on guys to do things they’ve never done (at this level) and we need to give them time to gel!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
100% agree we need some softness in the schedule. With a young team looking to find the alphas it’s better to have 5 extra wins against a soft schedule than it is to have a great SOS but be reliant on winning the ACCT because we were front loaded with a murder’s row and sat the wrong side of the bubble.

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
100% agree we need some softness in the schedule. With a young team looking to find the alphas it’s better to have 5 extra wins against a soft schedule than it is to have a great SOS but be reliant on winning the ACCT because we were front loaded with a murder’s row and sat the wrong side of the bubble.
It looks pretty normal to me. We sometimes have played in a higher profile tournament, but they've moved three conference games into December now so that makes it more difficult to schedule. I notice there are no Sunday games listed. I sure hope that doesn't mean they are going to make some last second swaps to Sunday night for TV like they did last year. That really messed up my friends travel for the weekend. I made every home game last season but we had WAY too many noon and 9PM starts.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Is there an SoS ranking like in football?
I'll rank it:

Clayton State - Not sure if this a real game or an exhibition
Georgia State - Average
Northern Illinois - Weak
Utah - Average
Marquette or Miss State - Average
North Alabama - Weak
Iowa - Average
Northeastern - Weak
Georgia - Weak
Alabama State - Weak
Florida Tech - Huh?

How do you sell tickets for this?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll rank it:

Georgia State - Average
Northern Illinois - Weak
Utah - Average
North Alabama - Weak
Iowa - Average
Northeastern - Weak
Georgia - Weak
Alabama State - Weak
Florida Tech - Huh?

Thanks. I was looking for something like this. Except for 2023. https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2022/sos-rpi

I hear this KenPom (sic) type stuff all the time here and don't know the most credible ranking sites like I do in baseball and football.

slugboy

Staff member
Thanks. I was looking for something like this. Except for 2023. https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2022/sos-rpi

I hear this KenPom (sic) type stuff all the time here and don't know the most credible ranking sites like I do in baseball and football.
Basketball LOVES RPI

But the NCAA switched to NET rankings: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...ollege-basketballs-net-rankings-explained?amp

So there’s a NET SOS

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
A pretty good Wake Forest team (13-7 in ACC) got left on the bubble last year with a similar non-conference slate :/

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll rank it:

Georgia State - Average
Northern Illinois - Weak
Utah - Average
North Alabama - Weak
Iowa - Average
Northeastern - Weak
Georgia - Weak
Alabama State - Weak
Florida Tech - Huh?

LOL.. we can all rest easy now that professor Stevec has given his professional opinion on the 2023 schedule.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
A pretty good Wake Forest team (13-7 in ACC) got left on the bubble last year with a similar non-conference slate :/

We won't really know how similar it is until the season plays out.

Last year oregon state was horribly bad, 3-28 and northwestern was 15-16 and Wake went to OT with both. They did play LSU but lost convincingly. Iowa and Marquette/MSU should be pretty stout competition and what we really need is to see whether Utah/UGA are NW level or Oregon State levels of bad.

What also hurt wake was the overall poor performance of the ACC OOC which made their ACC record not as impressive.

It's by no means a strong schedule it may hurt us down the line if we are a bubble team, but I think it's the right strategy for the team we have returning looking to find the leaders early.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Anything worse than 9-2 OOC we have some problems. I think we drop one in Ft Myers and probably @ Iowa. The schedule sets up for a confidence builder and the Acc schedule outside of UNC early, sets up nice to get a couple W’s. We finally won’t face the bs Duke UNC uva FSU type opening like we usually face.
I think we go 9-2 OOC 10-10 ACC 1-1 ACCT = 20-13 overall. Squarely on the bubble.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Anything worse than 9-2 OOC we have some problems. I think we drop one in Ft Myers and probably @ Iowa. The schedule sets up for a confidence builder and the Acc schedule outside of UNC early, sets up nice to get a couple W’s. We finally won’t face the bs Duke UNC uva FSU type opening like we usually face.
I think we go 9-2 OOC 10-10 ACC 1-1 ACCT = 20-13 overall. Squarely on the bubble.
After Ian, we will have to see if the Ft Myers event happens. Events scheduled for this week have been moved to St. Petersburg.