2022-23 GTWBB

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Not since the Winter of 1985 have we started 0-7 in the league. So many combinations trying to find a chemistry. Extremely disjointed with an identity. Worst offense in the ACC, statistically. Defense is not even close to what Coach Nell did with CMJ’s players the last few years. If the young players stay, they will get better. Coach can opt out of her contract, after this season. Zero top 100 players in the early signing period.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
To insinuate there is a problem with Nell and her staff is a stretch at least and irresponsible at worst.
To be fair, she's only notched the worst ACC record in 35 years. The other football guy a lot of people defended you had to go back almost 120 years. Not sure how far back WBB goes back, but I'm sure she's not yet at historical levels of suck. I think we only started playing D1 when we went to the ACC. I'd focus on fixing Men's basketball first before we starting trying to upgrade a Women's coaching staff that's ok for the most part. We got way more issues over on the Men's side.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Duke 65 Tech 47.

So, in your opinion, what does/can this team do you get better? Is there anything we can do this season, or do we have to rely on the off-season for improvement? We're now 9-9 overall,but 0-7 in conference. Thoughts?
I don't expect much improvement this year. The offense seems to run a weave out front (maybe Nell wants to burn some clock) and then try to create a shot with about 10 seconds on the clock. Very weak on entry passes into the paint. Sloppy passing at times. Defense is marginally better than the offense which isn't that great. This looks like a young team that is building for next year. PG needs to be able to beat her defender to break down a defense. At times it looked like the off ball players were just standing around hoping to take 3 point shots. Duke is a good team this year so the result was not unexpected. This looks like a rebuild year for us. I don't think we can blame this on NIL money.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Losing Melious in the recruiting class was a huge blow. She's averaging 40 per. I don't know why our transfers are struggling so mightily. They've both played ACC ball.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Losing Melious in the recruiting class was a huge blow. She's averaging 40 per. I don't know why our transfers are struggling so mightily. They've both played ACC ball.
It’s a chemistry problem. Something the GT student body knows all about!!
Some of our 2023 recruits have stated they didn’t like our offense, in choosing other schools(not including Nicole in that observation).

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s a chemistry problem.
There may be a chemistry problem, but GT is getting out-hustled and out-played by better basketball players. We have one shooter that does not have a great all-around game (rebounding, defense, drawing fouls, laying out on the court for loose balls, etc.). We are desperately missing tenacity, defense, savvy basketball skills, and rebounding of Latinen, Cubaj, and some others.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
There may be a chemistry problem, but GT is getting out-hustled and out-played by better basketball players. We have one shooter that does not have a great all-around game (rebounding, defense, drawing fouls, laying out on the court for loose balls, etc.). We are desperately missing tenacity, defense, savvy basketball skills, and rebounding of Latinen, Cubaj, and some others.
I didn’t say we are not getting out-hustled. If you are referring to Ines, I’ve watched her lay out for loose balls. Blackshear, as well. Impressed by both.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn’t say we are not getting out-hustled. If you are referring to Ines, I’ve watched her lay out for loose balls. Blackshear, as well. Impressed by both.
I didn't have any issues with your statement. Chemistry is just one of the issues that I see. Not referring to Ines or Blackshear.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Good for Eylia - hope she resurrects her career at Louisville (except when playing us). Guess we’ll never learn the real reason Nell dismissed her from the team - assume it was attitude/effort issue related to reduced role. She was really good last year, but departure of Cubaj, Lahtinen, and Strautmane really seemed to hurt her performance.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Very disappointed with the results so far and I don't think there is a magical improvement likely. We might get a little more competitive but I don't expect many more wins. This is a young team still learning but there are some skills lacking as well. I hope Nell has some cavalry coming to the rescue next year.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
You are probably right on no magical improvement. The portal didn’t work too well for chemistry in the last cycle, so who knows if CNF dips in to it again?
She can opt out of her contract after this season. Recruiting didn’t yield a top 100 player, and the class has been picked over. I like Thomas, and Rusne could be a pleasant surprise as a role playing Freshman in college at GT. The other two are Centers who appear to be projects.

Hopefully we play Carter more(I know, I’m a repeat record on that), because her production per minute has typically been very good.
I sure hope Morgan doesn’t leave. She gets more solid as the season progresses. Have to expect a little fall off after 25 games or so, since HS typically doesn’t go that long and college competition can be more physical play especially with the travel.
Dunn hit a little wall in certain games, particularly with matchups. She should become more consistent in time. Blackshear is practically a Freshman herself.