2022-2023 Roster

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Always fun to play this game. Here's the big picture from my standpoint. Of course this doesn't take into account people developing more than we've seen from them before or freshmen that surprise when they get to campus. Also, I will not list people like Bartnicki, Crawford, Roedig that may technically have eligibility left but have been honored on Senior Day and wouldn't seem likely to be back.

Offense:
-C - 3 people including new transfer Smith fighting for playing time
-8 spots to be filled by others:
Reid, Compton, Deleo, Campbell would seem to be daily locks in the lineup

-That leaves a bunch fighting daily for 4 spots. I would include that group as:
Romano, Jackson, Lovett, Geisler, Prince, Dempsey (transfer), Stanford, Sabathia. Other freshmen possible as well.

Pitching:
-Starters would seem to be:
Mcguire, Finateri, Carwile, possibly freshmen of Samol and Schmolke
-Back end of bullpen to be:
Finley, Brown, Hill
-Middle/long relief:
D. Smith, Siegal, Mannelly, Busse, other freshmen that are able to contribute.

As stated above, that's not going to be a preseason Omaha predicted team but could certainly show well if good development is shown from the freshmen and sophomore. And I think it could be in really good shape again by 2024.

We won't be projected to win Coastal, let alone Omaha. Miami is absolutely stacked and should be picked to win Coastal. Then jumbled will be UVa, UNC and maybe us.

Where we end up will all depend on how pitching progresses. We look to have lots of power and better D outside of catcher, and there it could be close. But pitching? I'm still amazed that we didn't have more guys make a jump last year.

I like the amount of competition we will see, but I think we have too large a class. I think it's wrong to have a player commit and then be cut before one season is up. When these guys committed 1, 2 or 3 years ago neither they or the coaches had any way to foresee what has happened. I don't see all the signed players making the 35 cut. Unfortunately, that is the way it is across college baseball for the top 40 teams. So everyone we compete with is going to have lots of competition. COVID pass year, reduced draft and transfers have totally upset the old system. IIWII.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
After the draft and transfer deadline, here's where I think we are. A total roster between 41 and 48 players (4 signees and 3 potential grad / 5th year in Mannelly, Medich & Rubenstein). And two transfers so far, there could be more if we get another Chandler available! But we need to get to 35 by February.

Any help or insight on who I missed or shouldn't be there would be appreciated.

25 LHP and RHPs! Last year I said that we'd be fine with depth. Let's hope we get some good development, some of our guys are doing great in summer ball. But all of them can't be on the roster. I couple will be injured since that happens.

Catcher is a position of concern. But the in-field otherwise looks solid as does the OF and DH.

Looking at the impact of the draft on our signees, we did ok other than losing a highly ranked catcher. Of the top 12 PG ranked recruits, we only lost 2. So the good news is our draft class is 3rd in D1 by total points. But the bad news our class is so large and by average points, it's 22nd. I don't know how we can keep all the guys who were signed. These are different times with COVID and the portal changes and NIL.

View attachment 12777

I think Zander Stephens is missing out of that list Nuke. Unless he has left.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Zander Stephens is missing out of that list Nuke. Unless he has left.

I heard that Xander is no longer with the team, so that was intentional. If I'm worng, I'll add him back. Then we'll go from 24 to 25 pitchers on the list.

Here's something I thought about to show my point that our class is too big, and there are others we play who have close to the same size class. But we are tied for #2 :(

I saw a tweet (which has been deleted) where Texas A&M cut 6 players last week, some new class commits. Oh well, the good old days of not cutting new commits are gone. https://www.clarionledger.com/story...ball-ron-polk-nil-transfer-portal/7555487001/
1659956404835.png

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I heard that Xander is no longer with the team, so that was intentional. If I'm worng, I'll add him back. Then we'll go from 24 to 25 pitchers on the list.

Here's something I thought about to show my point that our class is too big, and there are others we play who have close to the same size class. But we are tied for #2 :(

I saw a tweet (which has been deleted) where Texas A&M cut 6 players last week, some new class commits. Oh well, the good old days of not cutting new commits are gone. https://www.clarionledger.com/story...ball-ron-polk-nil-transfer-portal/7555487001/
View attachment 12788

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
TxTech is known for this in Texas.
They had 25 in their 22 class earlier and took a few Juco players and also 4 from the Portal.

1659961854670.png

They should have let people know and had a better managed roster before Portal Deadline.

Definitely a large incoming class at GT and will be difficult to get to the 35

When looking at schools we checked out loss of pitching IP at school along with roster size including Draft and incoming Recruit loss and Portal entrants.
Shocking some of the numbers. (number in parenthesis is roster number - includes injured; Pitchers, Active) portal activity (player in any position)
  • Texas A&M 44% (38 Roster, 21P, 19 Active) pulling 8 players from portal so far
  • Clemson 40% (40, 20, 16)) pulling 2 from Portal
  • Auburn 26% (39, 22, 21)) might lose 14P to draft, portal, graduation. 3 from Portal
  • S. Carolina 56% (36, 18) might lost 13P (pulling 10 from portal)
  • Ole Miss 59% (41, 22, 18)
  • Florida 45% (36, 19, 16) 3 from portal
  • Kansas State 50% (40, 21, 19) 1 from portal
  • Bama 60% (32, 24, 19) could lose 14P. pulling 4 from portal
  • Georgia 43% (46, 24, 20) pulling 2 from portal
  • Oklahoma State 86%! (40, 23, 16) pulling 4 from portal
  • Miss State 60% (38, 18) pulling 9 from portal
  • Florida State 66% (39, 16) might lose 10 P
  • Virginia Tech 42% (41, 21P, 18A) losing 8P, pulling 2 from Portal
  • Oklahoma 51% (40, 23P, 21A) losing 14 pitchers, pulling 3 players from portal
  • UNC 69% (43, 22P, 16A) losing 12 pitchers, pulling 1 from portal
  • Virginia 71% (36, 20P) losing 11P, pulling 5 from portal
Some schools went longer in playoffs and World Series and therefore more innings but lots of rebuilding years for many!

I didn't do GT's but pitching load loss is going to be huge with Huff, Maxwell, Grissom, Medich, and Cole all gone. (Carter & Christian didn't have any IP, and Xander only a few).
We'll see if Mannelly, Crawford, Bart and Cort come back or not. That would add to the massive IP loss.
Definitely a rebuild year.

D1 hasn't updated the Byers guy from Samford and the juco pulls don't show either so it doesn't show (yet) GT got much from the portal, but know they're quite good at finding Gems. (Chandler, Borden, Huff, JHM, etc.).

I think Aeden, Cody and Logan are going to kill it this year and think some of the new guys will get a lot more chances this year.
Hopefully Dawson and Siegel have good years and Dalton is healed and stays healthy (missed him and Mannelly at the end).
DBO and Ramsey pulled in some studs again this year. Getting Campbell back and returning Compton, Reid and Deleo is huge.
Y'all should be fine.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

View attachment 12788
I've known Xander for a couple of years where he works a part-time job. I also think he is no longer on the team.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No Sam no Cort next year

I'll go with that and add them back in if it changes. I have other unconfirmed information that indicates that's true.

So we have 21 potential pitchers (right now) for next year. The GoogleSheet on the first post has been updated
First NameLast NamePositionB/TPerfect Game Ranking2022-23 School Year
DawsonBrownRHPR/R500+ Overall, 520 RHPJr
CodyCarwileLHPL/L143 LHPSo
CamClinesRHPR/R128 RHPSo
AedenFinateriRHPR/ROverall 301, 103 RHPSo
JacksonFinleyRHPR R401 Overall, 138 RHP,R So
CamronHillLHPL/L58 LHPSo
BenKingRHPR R500+ Overall, 619 RHPJr
JosephMannellyLHPL/L500+ Overall, 25 LHPGrad?
LoganMcGuireRHPR/ROverall 199, 68 RHPSo
JosiahSiegelLHPL LHigh Follow 432 LHPJr
DaltonSmithLHPR L500+ Overall, 104 LHPJr
LoganBogueRHPR-R271 overall, 83 RHPFr
AustinCantrellLHPL-L500 Overall, 126 LHPFr
CameronFreemanRHPR-R500 Overall, 210 RHPFr
CadenGaudetteRHPR-R500 overall, 259 RHPFr
NoahSamolLHPL-L233 Overall, 32 LHPFr
LukeSchmolkeRHPR-R189 Overall, 55 RHPFr
CarsonBallardRHPR-R500 Overall, 487 RHPFr
DavisLomenickRHPR-RFollowFr
TerryBusseRHPR-RHigh follow, 651 CFr
DrewByersRHP / SSR-R500 Overall, 115 SSSo

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll go with that and add them back in if it changes. I have other unconfirmed information that indicates that's true.

So we have 21 potential pitchers (right now) for next year. The GoogleSheet on the first post has been updated
First NameLast NamePositionB/TPerfect Game Ranking2022-23 School Year
DawsonBrownRHPR/R500+ Overall, 520 RHPJr
CodyCarwileLHPL/L143 LHPSo
CamClinesRHPR/R128 RHPSo
AedenFinateriRHPR/ROverall 301, 103 RHPSo
JacksonFinleyRHPR R401 Overall, 138 RHP,R So
CamronHillLHPL/L58 LHPSo
BenKingRHPR R500+ Overall, 619 RHPJr
JosephMannellyLHPL/L500+ Overall, 25 LHPGrad?
LoganMcGuireRHPR/ROverall 199, 68 RHPSo
JosiahSiegelLHPL LHigh Follow 432 LHPJr
DaltonSmithLHPR L500+ Overall, 104 LHPJr
LoganBogueRHPR-R271 overall, 83 RHPFr
AustinCantrellLHPL-L500 Overall, 126 LHPFr
CameronFreemanRHPR-R500 Overall, 210 RHPFr
CadenGaudetteRHPR-R500 overall, 259 RHPFr
NoahSamolLHPL-L233 Overall, 32 LHPFr
LukeSchmolkeRHPR-R189 Overall, 55 RHPFr
CarsonBallardRHPR-R500 Overall, 487 RHPFr
DavisLomenickRHPR-RFollowFr
TerryBusseRHPR-RHigh follow, 651 CFr
DrewByersRHP / SSR-R500 Overall, 115 SSSo
Sooooooo young

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let's play ball. I'm already looking forward to Feb!!

Agree, I was wondering when season tickets go on sale for next year.

Next year we won't have the pressure of high ratings. It will be success to make the NCAAs. And we can watch a lot of guys develop. I'm confident we'll hit again (maybe not top of ACC but top 1/4) and field better. I'm only hopeful we'll pitch better.

Contrast that with football. I was thinking if Sims (or any other player) has a breakout year, the question will be where do they transfer? We didn't lose many players at all to the portal in baseball. Football we are a feeder for other programs.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Right now we are sitting at 45 players on the GT Swarm published roster with loss of Dempsey (transfer) and Cantrell & Freeman (signed) but addition of transfers DiSpigna and Vaughan. Confused? It'll get more confusing to get down to 35.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I understand why having "more" than 35 & having to get to 35 is a problem. Seems like a good problem to have assuming:
1) The staff has ample opportunity & acumen to evaluate & set the roster for team success
AND
2) No player (that gets cut) has been assured a roster spot.

I assume both these assumptions to be true.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not sure I understand why having "more" than 35 & having to get to 35 is a problem. Seems like a good problem to have assuming:
1) The staff has ample opportunity & acumen to evaluate & set the roster for team success
AND
2) No player (that gets cut) has been assured a roster spot.

I assume both these assumptions to be true.

I don't like over signing because it isn't right / honest / good for the players. Loyalty has to flow up and down any organization or there is no loyalty. I like college baseball since it has been more about making teams out of players committed to the school. I'd rather have a marginally less capable team than go the over signing route.

I don't think "2) that no player (that gets cut) has been assured a roster spot." will be met. It'll be interesting to see how many written scholarship players don't make the roster. Cantrell was a signee who is no longer on the roster. Freeman is also not on the roster, but he had Tommy John so will be a RS if he is at GT.

Regardless of what I think, we are where we are and doing what many other P5 teams are doing with 10 or more players to cut. We haven't done this in the past, so I hope it's just a mix of COVID extra year, roster reduction and the new portal impact all coming together.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's the current roster of 46 updated with D1 comments and draft stuff. Plus I went back to the Jacksonville State games and put in the position some of the guys played to confirm currently probable starters. No info from Kennesaw State exhibitions I could find on our site or KSUs.