2021 Uniform Debate

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Uniforms are also pretty irrelevant for merchandising as well. The size of your fan base and the success of your program are both way more important when it comes to merchandising.
Thank you for making my point. Large programs have sufficient demand as to minimize obsolete inventory. They can AFFORD variation. Smaller programs cannot. The setup costs and smaller runs are disastrous.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I like the week one uniforms too but the picture above from the spring game was just awful but Lotta Juice liked them. Different strokes for different folks. No matter what they wear, someone is going to *****. It is the nature of the beast.
I actually believe if we wore gold and white most of the time nobody from the fan base would be mad or have any complaints. Easy solution for GT but they just won’t do it for some reason

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for making my point. Large programs have sufficient demand as to minimize obsolete inventory. They can AFFORD variation. Smaller programs cannot. The setup costs and smaller runs are disastrous.
That has literally zero to do with how many different uniforms a team wears throughout the year

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I never said it did. Uniform choices have consequences. I'm not judging ... just sta fact.
But you literally said uniform choices affect merchandise programs:

It literally does not matter how many uniforms you wear.
It only matters if you also want a healthy merchandising program. Which we don’t.
Then you segued that into some weird tangent about how larger programs can afford the variation. But you also love to talk about how many large programs stick to traditional uniforms. I literally have no idea what your stance is anymore. All I know is that my original point still stands:

It literally doesn’t matter how many uniforms you wear.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I actually believe if we wore gold and white most of the time nobody from the fan base would be mad or have any complaints. Easy solution for GT but they just won’t do it for some reason
Perhaps there is a method to their madness. As a Tech fan and alum who went to school in the late 70's/early 80's we wore the same uni's all the time, there never was the incessant chatter about uniforms. We knew what they were and didn't think to question otherwise.

Paul Hornung once said, " I don't care what they say about me in the girl's dormitories, only that they are talking about me." The latter version of his comment is "there is no such thing as bad publicity".

Perhaps the people we think are idiots perhaps are geniuses at their crafts. I do know the uni discussions here are some of the longest and most passionate. Just speculation on my part of course.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps there is a method to their madness. As a Tech fan and alum who went to school in the late 70's/early 80's we wore the same uni's all the time, there never was the incessant chatter about uniforms. We knew what they were and didn't think to question otherwise.

The lack of message boards may have played a part in this.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

Paul Hornung once said, " I don't care what they say about me in the girl's dormitories, only that they are talking about me." The latter version of his comment is "there is no such thing as bad publicity".

Perhaps the people we think are idiots perhaps are geniuses at their crafts. I do know the uni discussions here are some of the longest and most passionate. Just speculation on my part of course.
That’s cause it was the late 70s. That is all irrelevant.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I think it was the fact that they didn't change. ever. Nor did anyone else's. It was like the menu at Junior's or Avogadro's number...a constant. Nobody discussed those either. Why bother....It was what it was.
Not really true though. I remember the buzz on campus when we wore gold jerseys against USCe in ‘76 or ‘77. Yes we wore the same thing almost all the time but doing something different did get people fired up.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I literally have no idea what your stance is anymore. All I know is that my original point still stands:

It literally doesn’t matter how many uniforms you
I spent my life in manufacturing and marketing. The best run, most economical and fan loyal (merchandising) programs are simple in their execution.

Do I think Alabama should wear a gimmick uniform? No. But IF they did, they can afford to swallow the cost.

Smaller programs can't afford a lot of variation. There is a cost involved.

The smaller the program, the more they should rely on classics. And it does matter ... fans want to buy what the team (and coach) wear.

We disagree. It's fine that we have different opinions.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
098873D8-0B1E-40D9-9D40-3E90703CA0A0.jpeg

🔥🔥🔥

Jolly Good Fellow
Not really true though. I remember the buzz on campus when we wore gold jerseys against USCe in ‘76 or ‘77. Yes we wore the same thing almost all the time but doing something different did get people fired up.
It was '76...We wore the "gold" twice...lost to crappy South Carolina team in opener, then got slaughtered by Pitt in their national champ run....Pepper told Sarge to gather the jerseys from our lockers and burn them..... they were the ugliest mustard shade of gold pieces of mesh sh*# ever worn by any team in the history of football....could not read the number on the jersey of the guy next to you in the huddle, much less from the stands.....No Tech fan ever bought his kid one of these....

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
It was '76...We wore the "gold" twice...lost to crappy South Carolina team in opener, then got slaughtered by Pitt in their national champ run....Pepper told Sarge to gather the jerseys from our lockers and burn them..... they were the ugliest mustard shade of gold pieces of mesh sh*# ever worn by any team in the history of football....could not read the number on the jersey of the guy next to you in the huddle, much less from the stands.....No Tech fan ever bought his kid one of these....
No but when team came out in gold students were pretty excited.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes, those jerseys looked a lot like UCLA. IIRC, didn't we start the year utilizing different blocking schemes than in 1975, and changed back after about 4 games?

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, those jerseys looked a lot like UCLA. IIRC, didn't we start the year utilizing different blocking schemes than in 1975, and changed back after about 4 games?
You are so right, Augusta....they copied UCLA ugly uni....had not thought of that ..Pepper brought lots of UCLA with him....including girlfriend...
As to change in blocking scheme from 75 to 76 then back after game 4, seems like this would be something I'd remember and I don't... It always boils down to QB play...Bucky started the year, Jolly came in vs Pitt and Lanier was the guy by the time we got to Auburn....probably LOOKED like we were blocking different (better)...LOL!