2021 Uniform Debate

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Did you miss the part where Nick Saban is better than Bear Bryant? Bama has M O N E Y. Tech does not have alums that care about athletics at the same level and have the resources that they have. Auburn and Tech haven't played consistently for over 40 years. The history is just that, it's old and becoming more irrelevant as each national championship passes. The modern state of the program is bad as a whole. We are not classic as we have not maintained a winning tradition. It happened, but who does it matter to now? Only people over the age of 60.
We are far more closer to Harvard and Princeton's viewed "tradition" than we are Bamas and Ohio States.

When kids think college football they don't think Harvard having 7 titles and Princeton's TWENTY EIGHT claimed titles.

They think uga made it to the playoffs, has hype, and a large fanbase. They think ohio state wins the Big 10 75% of the time and they have MONEY and a huge fanbase.

To think winning 4 championships 3 of them being before these kids grandparents were alive matters to them is wrong. We have won 1 big game when these kids were 9-11 yrs old. That was beating Miss State. They are too young now to even remember the ACC championship that was revoked. And even then we ran the TO, so they just move past it as if it didn't happen.

Kids want to know, can you get me to the NFL? And will I be playing in primetime and be a public figure. Almost every kid wants to be like Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart were at USC. Essentially playboys. They want that Star NFL experience in college. That's what the factories can give their players. Need this in bold for obvious reasons. This is not speaking in absolutes. But I am willing to bet over 50% of the high 4 star and 5 star recruits would succumb to those offers. Not many kids in America would pass up having the lifestyle Reggie Bush had as USC in the early mid 2000s.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Missed opportunity.
Do you seriously think that a coach whose twitter handle actually has 4 trophies in it is NOT taking the opportunity to tell recruits about the fact that GT has 4 national championships and as rich a history as any program out there can claim? I'd bet real money that he's telling every recruit he can about that and that when they come on campus they are shown the statue of John Heisman and anything else GT can show that tells the recruits how historically significant this program is. It would be out of character for CGC to miss that opportunity.

1617810274207.png

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Do you seriously think that a coach whose twitter handle actually has 4 trophies in it is NOT taking the opportunity to tell recruits about the fact that GT has 4 national championships and as rich a history as any program out there can claim? I'd bet real money that he's telling every recruit he can about that and that when they come on campus they are shown the statue of John Heisman and anything else GT can show that tells the recruits how historically significant this program is. It would be out of character for CGC to miss that opportunity.

View attachment 10290
100%

I am curious about the importance of that to the recruits.

It definitely helps. But to think it will be a deciding factor is nuts. Kids view it as a museum. It's great to have, but when you recruit against Bama, Clemson, Auburn and FSU, all who have won big trophies in the past 10 years our point kind of becomes mute.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
100%

I am curious about the importance of that to the recruits.

It definitely helps. But to think it will be a deciding factor is nuts. Kids view it as a museum. It's great to have, but when you recruit against Bama, Clemson, Auburn and FSU, all who have won big trophies in the past 10 years our point kind of becomes mute.
Totally! I think it is something that says to the kids "hey, we can win at this place" and connects GT football to a very famous name in college sports. It's not going to be a deciding factor at all. I think it's more something that can help bust down a negative stereotype and establish some credibility to say that the potential to win is there. It's likely more of a "wow I didn't know GT had that football history" moment for most of the kids than anything else.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Well I’m over 60 and yes ... it matters to me. Classics never go out of style, but gimmicks do. Money Down? Dancing while losing? Blue uniforms? No thanks.
So whining on a message board does what exactly? I’m over 60 as well and my favorite uniforms were from the ELI days of the late 70s. But I’m fine with the new ones and love the hype and energy of the new regime.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
If you ever feel like our uniforms aren’t good, go back and look at some Russell uniforms we wore for the past decade or so. Honeycomb pattern anyone?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah well 60 isn't the age group GT is trying to recruit to play on the team.

Just brainstorming here (there ain't no bad ideas whilst brainstorming correct?) but maybe they should to boost ticket sales. The Romans used to pack the coliseum pitting Christians vs. lions or trained soldiers against slaves (wasn't Gladiator an all-time top 10 movie btw?) and did not have people just sitting at home watching on big screen TV's with surround sound home theater systems. Just don't have us old guys wear new school ugly uniforms. We will not go out there and embarrass ourselves in ugly uni's. I want to be a QB. I didn't play in HS but it was all political and the coach didn't like me although he hid behind the excuse of "you don't have any talent". Cost me a free college education and millions of dollars of professional salary. I'm still bitter as you can probably tell.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
We will not go out there and embarrass ourselves in ugly uni's. I want to be a QB. I didn't play in HS but it was all political and the coach didn't like me although he hid behind the excuse of "you don't have any talent". Cost me a free college education and millions of dollars of professional salary. I'm still bitter as you can probably tell.
I have your recruiting film!
napoleon dynamite GIF