2021 Strength of Schedule

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
South Carolina, Auburn, Tennessee, Rutgers, Maryland, UCLA, Arkansas, and many more play schedules that on paper are as difficult, or harder than what Tech plays. As stated above, most of the schedule is made up of average to mediocre teams. Outside of the 5 toughest games on the schedule, Pitt on the road will be the next hardest game. That’s not exactly a barn burner.
Without looking at these teams' schedules, I'll play. Name one of those teams that plays 5 teams harder than our top 5 opponents. There aren't any. Then, assuming those are all losses, of the remaining 7 regular-season games, we would have to go 6-1 or 7-0 to become bowl eligible.

Now, I'm not one to concede any game before we play it, but by the logic laid out, that's a tall order for a team still building. Personally, I'm looking for us to go 12-0 in the regular season and win the ACCCG, then a couple of playoff games. I know I'm not being realistic, but I'm a FANatic.

By the way, have you even looked at Tennessee's schedule? LOL!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You called LSU/Oregon - two teams that combined for a 9-7 record in 2020 - equivalent to Clemson and UGA - two teams that combined to go 20-4. 3 of those losses came against playoff teams. Just ridiculous.

There is no use continuing this debate. We will not find common ground.
Have you never heard of an analogy before my guy? I also said that judging LSU and Oregon based on their 2020 results is asinine. I’ve given numerous reasons for my position. Your position is simply, “they were mediocre last year so they’ll be mediocre next year.” When odds are that won’t be true.

Do you think that Tech would play Oregon any closer than they would Georgia? Clemson is going to experience a drop-off in 2021 like LSU saw in 2020. But Clemson’s 2021 record will likely better better than LSU’s for a variety of reasons. The 2 biggest being a softer schedule and a full off-season to prepare guys to fill holes.

Like I said before, it doesn’t matter that LSU isn’t exactly Clemson or Oregon isn’t exactly Georgia. They’re both top-tier teams. And USC is still very comparable to ND, and Stanford and Washington are still very comparable to UNC and Miami. Utah is very comparable to Pitt.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
LSU, Oregon, USC, Stanford, Utah

LSU & Oregon are equivalent to Clemson & UGA. Not just NO, but Hell NO!

USC equiv to ND. That's hillarious. Oregon and LSU may be approaching ND next year. LSU (5-5) sucked this year and so did Oregon (4-3)

Stanford, Washington, and Utah equiv to UNC and Miami, Not even close. (you've been sniffing glue or something) Washington lost 25% of their games, Stanford lost 33% of their games, Utah lost 40% of their games, all in the weak PAC12.

plus another team better than anyone else on our schedule. We're talking about the Pac12, you need to recalibrate.

Are you high? That’s a tough schedule. That's even more hillarious!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
South Carolina, Auburn, Tennessee, Rutgers, Maryland, UCLA, Arkansas, and many more play schedules that on paper are as difficult, or harder than what Tech plays. As stated above, most of the schedule is made up of average to mediocre teams. Outside of the 5 toughest games on the schedule, Pitt on the road will be the next hardest game. That’s not exactly a barn burner.
Pitt is in Atlanta, I think.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Have you never heard of an analogy before my guy? I also said that judging LSU and Oregon based on their 2020 results is asinine. I’ve given numerous reasons for my position. Your position is simply, “they were mediocre last year so they’ll be mediocre next year.” When odds are that won’t be true.

Do you think that Tech would play Oregon any closer than they would Georgia? Clemson is going to experience a drop-off in 2021 like LSU saw in 2020. But Clemson’s 2021 record will likely better better than LSU’s for a variety of reasons. The 2 biggest being a softer schedule and a full off-season to prepare guys to fill holes.

Like I said before, it doesn’t matter that LSU isn’t exactly Clemson or Oregon isn’t exactly Georgia. They’re both top-tier teams. And USC is still very comparable to ND, and Stanford and Washington are still very comparable to UNC and Miami. Utah is very comparable to Pitt.
Okay well it seems you’re walking back the equivalency now. Which is smart. Because that’s just an indefensible take. LSU lost as many games last year (in a shortened season) as a Clemson has lost in the last 4 seasons (56 games). Clemson and uga are in their own tier in this subset. It’s not close. Both just reload.

Clemson, uga
———————
Notre Dame, Miami, UNC, Oregon, LSU, USC
———————
Everybody else that’s not Duke or Arizona
———————
Duke, Arizona
———————
Non-P5

In other words, if you take Clemson and uga off our schedule, then yeah they’re pretty comparable.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Without looking at these teams' schedules, I'll play. Name one of those teams that plays 5 teams harder than our top 5 opponents. There aren't any. Then, assuming those are all losses, of the remaining 7 regular-season games, we would have to go 6-1 or 7-0 to become bowl eligible.

Now, I'm not one to concede any game before we play it, but by the logic laid out, that's a tall order for a team still building. Personally, I'm looking for us to go 12-0 in the regular season and win the ACCCG, then a couple of playoff games. I know I'm not being realistic, but I'm a FANatic.

By the way, have you even looked at Tennessee's schedule? LOL!
South Carolina plays
  • Georgia
  • Clemson
  • Florida
  • Texas A&M
  • Auburn
Auburn plays
  • Georgia
  • Alabama
  • Texas A&M
  • LSU
  • Penn State
Tennessee plays
  • Georgia
  • Alabama
  • Florida
Rutgers plays
  • Ohio State
  • Penn State
  • Michigan
  • Wisconsin
  • Michigan State
  • Indiana
  • Northwestern
Maryland plays
  • Ohio State
  • Penn State
  • Michigan
  • Michigan State
  • Indiana
  • Minnesota
UCLA plays
  • Oregon
  • LSU
  • USC
  • Washington
  • Stanford
  • Utah
Arkansas plays
  • Georgia
  • Alabama
  • Texas
  • Texas A&M
  • LSU
  • Auburn
Mississippi State plays
  • Alabama
  • Texas A&M
  • Auburn
  • LSU
Nebraska plays
  • Ohio State
  • Oklahoma
  • Michigan
  • Wisconsin
  • Michigan State
  • Minnesota
  • Northwestern
Does Georgia Tech have a tough schedule? Absolutely. The top 3 teams on the schedule would give anybody a run for their money. But UNC and Miami haven’t proved anything yet. And the drop off from those 2 to everybody else on the schedule is significant. Weaker teams will always have tougher perceived schedules than stronger teams, because the strong teams don’t have to play themselves. It’s a tough schedule, but it’s not one I’d call “brutal” when you take into account the teams outside the top 3. There are more than a couple of teams with schedules just as tough if not tougher, and a lot of those teams have deeper schedules outside of their top 3 toughest games.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Okay well it seems you’re walking back the equivalency now. Which is smart. Because that’s just an indefensible take. LSU lost as many games last year (in a shortened season) as a Clemson has lost in the last 4 seasons (56 games). Clemson and uga are in their own tier in this subset. It’s not close. Both just reload.

Clemson, uga
———————
Notre Dame, Miami, UNC, Oregon, LSU, USC
———————
Everybody else that’s not Duke or Arizona
———————
Duke, Arizona
———————
Non-P5

In other words, if you take Clemson and uga off our schedule, then yeah they’re pretty comparable.
Okay man, you got me. Georgia is better than everyone else on UCLA’s schedule. I’ve already conceded that. I’m so sorry I compared Oregon to Georgia. Can you ever forgive me?

You’re still looking at LSU’s 2020 season in a vacuum when there’s no logical reason to. You’re also not looking ahead to Clemson’s 2021 when they will obviously take a step back. LSU in 2021 is going to be comparable to Clemson in 2021. Not in 2020, but in 2021. And Oregon and USC are both comparable to Notre Dame. Are you happy? So instead of playing Georgia, Clemson, and Notre Dame, UCLA will play games against teams comparable to Clemson, and 2 against Notre Dame. Is that better? Does that satisfy you? It’s not that deep

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
South Carolina plays
  • Georgia
  • Clemson
  • Florida
  • Texas A&M
  • Auburn
Auburn plays
  • Georgia
  • Alabama
  • Texas A&M
  • LSU
  • Penn State
Tennessee plays
  • Georgia
  • Alabama
  • Florida
Rutgers plays
  • Ohio State
  • Penn State
  • Michigan
  • Wisconsin
  • Michigan State
  • Indiana
  • Northwestern
Maryland plays
  • Ohio State
  • Penn State
  • Michigan
  • Michigan State
  • Indiana
  • Minnesota
UCLA plays
  • Oregon
  • LSU
  • USC
  • Washington
  • Stanford
  • Utah
Arkansas plays
  • Georgia
  • Alabama
  • Texas
  • Texas A&M
  • LSU
  • Auburn
Mississippi State plays
  • Alabama
  • Texas A&M
  • Auburn
  • LSU
Nebraska plays
  • Ohio State
  • Oklahoma
  • Michigan
  • Wisconsin
  • Michigan State
  • Minnesota
  • Northwestern
Does Georgia Tech have a tough schedule? Absolutely. The top 3 teams on the schedule would give anybody a run for their money. But UNC and Miami haven’t proved anything yet. And the drop off from those 2 to everybody else on the schedule is significant. Weaker teams will always have tougher perceived schedules than stronger teams, because the strong teams don’t have to play themselves. It’s a tough schedule, but it’s not one I’d call “brutal” when you take into account the teams outside the top 3. There are more than a couple of teams with schedules just as tough if not tougher, and a lot of those teams have deeper schedules outside of their top 3 toughest games.
I fixed it for you. I would take any of these schedules over ours if it's just about winning.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson, UGA ND are losses
UNC, Va Tech Pitt, Miami and BC we will be underdogs.
UVA is at UVA...loss
Duke, NIU, and KS are winnable, but not guarantees.

This is based on what we looked like last year as that is all any team can use to base their chances. Looking at what we lost and what the other teams have comming back.
UNC will be pretty good
Va Tech is pretty good
Pitt, if that QB come back will be tough
Miami is just better than we are
BC slobber knocked us this year and I don't see much of a change.

NIU should be a win, But KS, who knows, they did not play this year and won 10 the year before.....and before someone throws out talent, they run an option offense.
Duke, who knows.

And we can say that some of these teams are average....but based on record we are not a good team.
Looking at the coastal, I see it a bit differently:
UNC - definitely good, but losing 2 majorly talented RBs and I think their top WR.
VIPSU - hemorrhaging players and Fuente got the public "vote of confidence" from the AD earlier this year. I'd say they're below pretty good.
Pitt - QB returning, but unless they're bringing back much of their defense, not sure where they're at.
Miami - a great QB, but very beatable. We have a 2 game win streak against them.
BC - probably on the upswing, will definitely be tough, but at least it's a home game. If it's early in the year and hot, it might be better for us.
Duke - down bad, likely returning to late 2000s levels.

I have hope that we will be much better in 2021. OL improving with transfers and experience, 4 very talented RBs backed up by more solid RBs. Good young WRs that will hopefully have a full summer to work with Sims. TEs remain a question, CDP doesn't seem to prioritize them in pass plays that much.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I fixed it for you. I would take any of these schedules over ours if it's just about winning.
Lol, so you just crossed out every team that had a down year last year, but you also crossed out teams that had banner years last year i.e. Indiana and Northwestern. So does last year matter? Or does it not?

Also, you would rather play Michigan, Penn State, Auburn, Texas, Washington, Stanford, and Michigan State over Miami or UNC? You think Tech has a better chance to beat any of those teams than they do Miami or UNC? You’re insane.

FWIW, the last time Michigan and Notre Dame played, UM beat them 45-14

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Okay man, you got me. Georgia is better than everyone else on UCLA’s schedule. I’ve already conceded that. I’m so sorry I compared Oregon to Georgia. Can you ever forgive me?

You’re still looking at LSU’s 2020 season in a vacuum when there’s no logical reason to. You’re also not looking ahead to Clemson’s 2021 when they will obviously take a step back. LSU in 2021 is going to be comparable to Clemson in 2021. Not in 2020, but in 2021. And Oregon and USC are both comparable to Notre Dame. Are you happy? So instead of playing Georgia, Clemson, and Notre Dame, UCLA will play games against teams comparable to Clemson, and 2 against Notre Dame. Is that better? Does that satisfy you? It’s not that deep

No. Because it’s still a dumb take. Clemson has a decade-long resumé of reloading. They’re replacing Lawrence with a Cam Newton clone who threw for 400+ on the road against a playoff team in his first career game. Clemson reloads. uga reloads. They’ve both proven that. Which is why they’re both preseason Top 5 again.

A 4-2 Oregon squad does not suddenly jump into an elite tier that Clemson has occupied for a decade simply because they had a few good classes recently.

A 5-5 LSU squad with a nightmare DC situation does not simply jump into an elite tier simply because of name recognition.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Lol, so you just crossed out every team that had a down year last year, but you also crossed out teams that had banner years last year i.e. Indiana and Northwestern. So does last year matter? Or does it not?

Also, you would rather play Michigan, Penn State, Auburn, Texas, Washington, Stanford, and Michigan State over Miami or UNC? You think Tech has a better chance to beat any of those teams than they do Miami or UNC? You’re insane.

I think you overrated Michigan, MSU, Auburn, and Stanford.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I live in B1G country. I know the teams that are good, bad, and really good. I get this crap day-in, day-out.

I left Minnesota and Wisconsin on the lists because they're going to be really good next year, about like UNC and Miami. The rest are going to be good, but not really good. NW and Indiana are not going to be good next year. I left LSU on the list because I think they'll be really good next year, despite having a mediocre year this year. They won't be great, but they'll be really good. The only team in the PAC12 worth anything is Oregon. I'd play ANY other PAC12 team over our Top5 opponents, and probably even more.

You're living in the past, thinking about the reputations of these schools. Auburn will be mediocre next year. Penn State might be good or might be mediocre. They won't be really good.

How is UM v. ND even relevant to 2021? Half of both teams have turned over since they last played, and Michigan sucks.

My friend who is a Penn State fan has been telling me to just "forget" about last year due to all the Covid stuff. Penn State lost their first 5 games, including embarassing losses
to Maryland and Nebraska. Then they won their last 4 and declined a bowl. Maybe an apples to apples comparison between PSU and GT is not valid for many reasons. But in some ways, I would have felt better for us to have lost to FSU and Louisville and won the NC State and Pitt games , ending the year winning 3 out of 4.
I am a big believer in attitude as it applies to trends and momentum.
After 2 years , we look like we play in fits and starts.....1 step forward, 2 steps back......3 steps forward , 2 steps back. Talk about recruiting is fun, but results on the field matter more. IMHO we are 1 year away from saying "CGC is building something special at Tech" to "CGC is struggling to get the rebuild off the ground". If, as someone previously suggested, we get 4 wins next year, selling the rebuild dream only gets more difficult.
What re-build...you mean the house he wrecked?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I live in B1G country. I know the teams that are good, bad, and really good. I get this crap day-in, day-out.

I left Minnesota and Wisconsin on the lists because they're going to be really good next year, about like UNC and Miami. The rest are going to be good, but not really good. NW and Indiana are not going to be good next year. I left LSU on the list because I think they'll be really good next year, despite having a mediocre year this year. They won't be great, but they'll be really good. The only team in the PAC12 worth anything is Oregon. I'd play ANY other PAC12 team over our Top5 opponents, and probably even more.

You're living in the past, thinking about the reputations of these schools. Auburn will be mediocre next year. Penn State might be good or might be mediocre. They won't be really good.

How is UM v. ND even relevant to 2021? Half of both teams have turned over since they last played, and Michigan sucks.
How is ND’s season last year or their history relevant to next year? They’re losing the winningest QB in their history and got embarrassed by full strength Clemson and Alabama teams on neutral fields.

North Carolina lost to the same FSU team that Tech beat last year. Miami got embarrassed at home by that same UNC team. Some of you are putting a ton of stock into Miami and UNC turning into additional powerhouses when I’m not sure that’s a check either of them can cash. Will they be solid? Sure. But no more solid than any of the other teams on that list.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
How is ND’s season last year or their history relevant to next year? They’re losing the winningest QB in their history and got embarrassed by full strength Clemson and Alabama teams on neutral fields.

North Carolina lost to the same FSU team that Tech beat last year. Miami got embarrassed at home by that same UNC team. Some of you are putting a ton of stock into Miami and UNC turning into additional powerhouses when I’m not sure that’s a check either of them can cash. Will they be solid? Sure. But no more solid than any of the other teams on that list.
I'm saying they'll be on par with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, USC, and LSU.

I'm saying they'll be better than all the rest.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I'm saying they'll be on par with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, USC, and LSU.

I'm saying they'll be better than all the rest.
So the Minnesota team that the Michigan team that “sucks” embarrassed, will be better than Michigan. Interesting. I think some of you just aren’t looking at it objectively.