2021 Strength of Schedule

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse was more bad luck than a blowout

The difference in that game was turnovers on our end of the field by a freshman QB playing in what amounted to a mostly empty barn with loud music every time we had the ball. That may have been Sims' first airplane trip to a road game since I believe they bussed to Tally. But lots of folks are happy about it since they get to blame the coaches.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Crazy to think we won’t improve. Frankly, I think a lot of people are flat out BS’ing on here thinking if they can convince others 3 wins is the ceiling next year then CGC won’t get criticized if he craps the bed. If he pulls off more than 3 wins they can gloat about what an amazing turnaround he’s engineered.

We’ve averaged 7.5 wins per year for over 2 decades. That’s the bar. Below 7 wins is below average and over 8 is above average. It really isn’t more complicated than that.
We will win more than 3, but winning 5 could reveal vast improvement depending on circumstances.

Improvement is more complicated than than setting a number of wins as a bar, and you can't compare years. The strength of schedule is not the same every year (we had 2 FCS games in 2008 and 2013), injuries--both ours and opponents--aren't the same every year (compare 2014 and 2015), officiating breaks (we saw some poor officiating this past year)--and luck--change from year to year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The difference in that game was turnovers on our end of the field by a freshman QB playing in what amounted to a mostly empty barn with loud music every time we had the ball. That may have been Sims' first airplane trip to a road game since I believe they bussed to Tally. But lots of folks are happy about it since they get to blame the coaches.
Maybe, but I certainly wouldn't blame the airplane.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

What's ironic is your reply was in reference to the posts I quoted below. I made the original post, and did mention getting blown out by Syracuse. In that same post I once again urged showing patience with this coaching staff. So many people here are unwilling to talk honestly about where we are. Where we are currently is not an indictment on the former staff, nor yet the current staff. We can admit our shortcomings, acknowledge that the transition is not a routine coaching staff change fix, and critique areas we see as needing improvement without being either sandbagging or overly dismissive. I said years ago on another site that when CPJ left, transitioning back to a good "normal" offense might take the better part of a decade. Had we not landed such a dynamic recruiter, we might honestly be looking at a 6-7 year project in returning to winning football routinely. CGC was a major win for us because he checks all the boxes for recruiting and brand. A similar scenario was Dabo Swinney. He took over mid-2008. The previous 4 recruiting classes at Clemson were ranked 17, 16, 16, & 12 respectively, yet he went 9-5 and 6-7 in his first two years as full time HC. A lot of people, including many Clemson fans I know, had doubts as to his long term future there. The last two coaches there that had losing seasons were fired right after the season. Clemson was patient, and boy has it paid off.

Now, we aren't sitting in the same place Clemson was. Our recruiting classes were not only not that highly ranked, but were chock full of the wrong types of talent to run the current system. It's not a matter of just replacing starters, but also building quality depth. We all know that even highly ranked recruits strike out. Until such point that we stockpile enough talent on the team that we can weather the misfires in evaluation that every team has, then we are dependent on batting 1.000 in order to compete. Every year under CGC that number lessens. I think we will be ok long term, but I also think we might see improvement next year in everything but the W/L column. I see 3 solid wins and with some luck and good play as many as 5. If things break heavily in our favor we could win 7-8 games. I think 4 is reasonable, given all considerations.

I say all this to urge everyone to try and read the posts with context. You can be critical and still be a fan of the program. You can critique CGC and still support him. You can dislike certain methodologies and programmatic choices and still bleed White and Gold (and navy).

Sorry for the long ramble, just tired of the constant accusations flying around here...

The problem is you don't have to be a world beater when you're playing us. I mean, we got blown out by Syracuse. I think we are a year or two away from being good again. We have a lot of the tools, but they are young. If we are patient and give the coaches the time they need to develop this team, I think we will be happy.

Crazy to think we won’t improve. Frankly, I think a lot of people are flat out BS’ing on here thinking if they can convince others 3 wins is the ceiling next year then CGC won’t get criticized if he craps the bed. If he pulls off more than 3 wins they can gloat about what an amazing turnaround he’s engineered.

We’ve averaged 7.5 wins per year for over 2 decades. That’s the bar. Below 7 wins is below average and over 8 is above average. It really isn’t more complicated than that.

What's ironic is your reply was in reference to the posts I quoted below. I made the original post, and did mention getting blown out by Syracuse. In that same post I once again urged showing patience with this coaching staff. So many people here are unwilling to talk honestly about where we are. Where we are currently is not an indictment on the former staff, nor yet the current staff. We can admit our shortcomings, acknowledge that the transition is not a routine coaching staff change fix, and critique areas we see as needing improvement without being either sandbagging or overly dismissive. I said years ago on another site that when CPJ left, transitioning back to a good "normal" offense might take the better part of a decade. Had we not landed such a dynamic recruiter, we might honestly be looking at a 6-7 year project in returning to winning football routinely. CGC was a major win for us because he checks all the boxes for recruiting and brand. A similar scenario was Dabo Swinney. He took over mid-2008. The previous 4 recruiting classes at Clemson were ranked 17, 16, 16, & 12 respectively, yet he went 9-5 and 6-7 in his first two years as full time HC. A lot of people, including many Clemson fans I know, had doubts as to his long term future there. The last two coaches there that had losing seasons were fired right after the season. Clemson was patient, and boy has it paid off.

Now, we aren't sitting in the same place Clemson was. Our recruiting classes were not only not that highly ranked, but were chock full of the wrong types of talent to run the current system. It's not a matter of just replacing starters, but also building quality depth. We all know that even highly ranked recruits strike out. Until such point that we stockpile enough talent on the team that we can weather the misfires in evaluation that every team has, then we are dependent on batting 1.000 in order to compete. Every year under CGC that number lessens. I think we will be ok long term, but I also think we might see improvement next year in everything but the W/L column. I see 3 solid wins and with some luck and good play as many as 5. If things break heavily in our favor we could win 7-8 games. I think 4 is reasonable, given all considerations.

I say all this to urge everyone to try and read the posts with context. You can be critical and still be a fan of the program. You can critique CGC and still support him. You can dislike certain methodologies and programmatic choices and still bleed White and Gold (and navy).

Sorry for the long ramble, just tired of the constant accusations flying around here...
As I have pointed out about Clemson and Dabo. Clemson started making the turn not because of recruiting or Dabo. In 2012 Brent Venables came to Clemson and that is when the turn was made. Of course it has helped to have two top level quarterbacks since 2015.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
As I have pointed out about Clemson and Dabo. Clemson started making the turn not because of recruiting or Dabo. In 2012 Brent Venables came to Clemson and that is when the turn was made. Of course it has helped to have two top level quarterbacks since 2015.
Having two top level QB's since 2015 would fall under the heading of recruiting. Just sayin'...

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Their turn was made in 2011 on the back of prized QB recruit Tahj Boyd, as well as fellow freshman Sammy Watkins and sophomore Deandre Hopkins. Clemson won 10 games for the first time since 1990, they beat 4 ranked teams, won the ACC Championship, and played in the Orange Bowl. It was the first year of a streak that’s currently at 10 years and running of finishing the season ranked. Venables may have helped push them over the edge on the defensive side of the ball, but his presence only mattered because of the talent they had accumulated.

Jmonty71

Banned
you have to crawl before you walk, the good news by 3 years old you should be able to walk pretty good . and by 4 years old they can run and you can't keep up with Right..

you have to crawl before you walk, the good news by 3 years old you should be able to walk pretty good . and by 4 years old they can run and you can't keep up with them.
I don't share that same sediment. How many coaches get 3,4,5 plus years to only say how good we're doing. Yet, they aren't? So, you are saying that in 2 years Collins will have a program that can compete with anyone? Is that what you're saying??? Or is your idea of running, being the slowest kind in class, getting lapped by everyone?

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I don't share that same sediment. How many coaches get 3,4,5 plus years to only say how good we're doing. Yet, they aren't? So, you are saying that in 2 years Collins will have a program that can compete with anyone? Is that what you're saying??? Or is your idea of running, being the slowest kind in class, getting lapped by everyone?
Guess that’s just what settled to the bottom.

Jmonty71

Banned
Depends on your definition of "failed". 6 seasons, 2 playoff appearances, 1 Super Bowl appearance. 43-42 overall record....which is better than a LOT of coaches have had.

Outside of 2020 and 2017, he never finished lower than 2nd in the NFC South...but in 2017 he won 10 games and made the playoffs.

I wouldn't say he "failed" as much as I'd say he never recovered from losing key coordinators. 2020 the wheels definitely came completely off for him.
I call it the resting of the fruits of your laurels. I wished I had a job were I could perform my first 2 years and then coast.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I call it the resting of the fruits of your laurels. I wished I had a job were I could perform my first 2 years and then coast.

That's on Arthur Blank. He's a loyal owner...he did the same thing with Mike Smith. Quinn and Smith were probably held on a year or two longer than they should have been.

Thomas Dimitroff should have been gone with a long time ago as well.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Pretty excited that the coons got Dean Pees. He’s a great DC. Hopefully it wasn’t just Derrick Henry that made Arthur Smith look so good.

RB is really important in this draft IMO. Gurley is done.