2021 Strength of Schedule

LibertyTurns

Banned
Bottom line is the talent level on the team is getting better quick. Yes it's time to see what these coaches can get better to.
Is it getting better quick enough to see 4 wins this year or 5 or 6 or 7? It seems like we’re trending better but I don’t see a lot of commitment from many claiming we’re improved about expected results on the field.

For me we should be able to win a minimum of 5 games from here on out. Less than that is unacceptable.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Is it getting better quick enough to see 4 wins this year or 5 or 6 or 7? It seems like we’re trending better but I don’t see a lot of commitment from many claiming we’re improved about expected results on the field.

For me we should be able to win a minimum of 5 games from here on out. Less than that is unacceptable.

I've said repeatedly that every coach (outside of asshat Lewis) including and since Bobby Ross was able to qualify for a bowl game by their third season. I expect the same from CGC. We have the talent, and we have enough experience. Third year is when you usually see the most improvement from a staff because they have enough of their talent on the roster mixed with experience.

IMO, this season will tell us a LOT about the direction of the program, especially the second half of the 2021 season.

I've said repeatedly that every coach (outside of asshat Lewis) including and since Bobby Ross was able to qualify for a bowl game by their third season. I expect the same from CGC. We have the talent, and we have enough experience. Third year is when you usually see the most improvement from a staff because they have enough of their talent on the roster mixed with experience.

IMO, this season will tell us a LOT about the direction of the program, especially the second half of the 2021 season.
I agree, but based on what I see and our schedule, we will be lucky to win 3 games next year. Our schedule is brutal. And as for talent, the jury is still out. we are losing a lot of talent and a lot of older guys. A 4 star high school player means nothing to me.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but based on what I see and our schedule, we will be lucky to win 3 games next year. Our schedule is brutal. And as for talent, the jury is still out. we are losing a lot of talent and a lot of older guys. A 4 star high school player means nothing to me.
Who is all this talent we’re losing? Camp is the only significant piece from the offensive side of the ball that’s not returning. And Curry is the only one on defense. In what world is the schedule brutal? There are 5 games that will probably be losses. Other than that, every other game will be extremely winnable. A 4-star high school player may mean nothing to you, but it means a whole helluva lot to the teams that win games.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Who is all this talent we’re losing? Camp is the only significant piece from the offensive side of the ball that’s not returning. And Curry is the only one on defense. In what world is the schedule brutal? There are 5 games that will probably be losses. Other than that, every other game will be extremely winnable. A 4-star high school player may mean nothing to you, but it means a whole helluva lot to the teams that win games.

Haven’t scanned other teams, but Id be extremely surprised to see 5 teams in the country with harder schedules. Brutal is the word I’d use for it.

Deleted member 2897

Haven’t scanned other teams, but Id be extremely surprised to see 5 teams in the country with harder schedules. Brutal is the word I’d use for it.

Im not going to wake up one day and expect to beat Clemson, Georgia, or Notre Dame. But there’s also NIU, Kennesaw State, Duke, Boston college, Pitt, Virginia Tech, and Virginia. If we can’t go somewhere between 5-2 to 7-0 against these teams, we have bigger problems. These were all losing teams to at best a marginal 0.500 team this year.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
South Carolina, Auburn, Tennessee, Rutgers, Maryland, UCLA, Arkansas, and many more play schedules that on paper are as difficult, or harder than what Tech plays. As stated above, most of the schedule is made up of average to mediocre teams. Outside of the 5 toughest games on the schedule, Pitt on the road will be the next hardest game. That’s not exactly a barn burner.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
South Carolina, Auburn, Tennessee, Rutgers, Maryland, UCLA, Arkansas, and many more play schedules that on paper are as difficult, or harder than what Tech plays. As stated above, most of the schedule is made up of average to mediocre teams. Outside of the 5 toughest games on the schedule, Pitt on the road will be the next hardest game. That’s not exactly a barn burner.

UCLA...LSU, Fresno State, Hawai’i, Oregon, Washington, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, Stanford, Colorado, Utah, Cal.

Are you high?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
UCLA...LSU, Fresno State, Hawai’i, Oregon, Washington, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, Stanford, Colorado, Utah, Cal.

Are you high?
LSU, Oregon, USC, Stanford, Utah

LSU & Oregon are equivalent to Clemson & UGA. USC equiv to ND. Stanford, Washington, and Utah equiv to UNC and Miami, plus another team better than anyone else on our schedule.
Are you high? That’s a tough schedule.

Last edited:
Im not going to wake up one day and expect to beat Clemson, Georgia, or Notre Dame. But there’s also NIU, Kennesaw State, Duke, Boston college, Pitt, Virginia Tech, and Virginia. If we can’t go somewhere between 5-2 to 7-0 against these teams, we have bigger problems. These were all losing teams to at best a marginal 0.500 team this year.

Clemson, UGA ND are losses
UNC, Va Tech Pitt, Miami and BC we will be underdogs.
UVA is at UVA...loss
Duke, NIU, and KS are winnable, but not guarantees.

This is based on what we looked like last year as that is all any team can use to base their chances. Looking at what we lost and what the other teams have comming back.
UNC will be pretty good
Va Tech is pretty good
Pitt, if that QB come back will be tough
Miami is just better than we are
BC slobber knocked us this year and I don't see much of a change.

NIU should be a win, But KS, who knows, they did not play this year and won 10 the year before.....and before someone throws out talent, they run an option offense.
Duke, who knows.

And we can say that some of these teams are average....but based on record we are not a good team.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
LSU, Oregon, USC, Stanford, Utah

LSU & Oregon are equivalent to Clemson & UGA. USC equiv to ND. Stanford, Washington, and Utah equiv to UNC and Miami, plus another team better than anyone else on our schedule.
Are you high? That’s a tough schedule.

9bfa64a3edc4d83773b37c9141341370.gif

Deleted member 2897

Clemson, UGA ND are losses
UNC, Va Tech Pitt, Miami and BC we will be underdogs.
UVA is at UVA...loss
Duke, NIU, and KS are winnable, but not guarantees.

This is based on what we looked like last year as that is all any team can use to base their chances. Looking at what we lost and what the other teams have comming back.
UNC will be pretty good
Va Tech is pretty good
Pitt, if that QB come back will be tough
Miami is just better than we are
BC slobber knocked us this year and I don't see much of a change.

NIU should be a win, But KS, who knows, they did not play this year and won 10 the year before.....and before someone throws out talent, they run an option offense.
Duke, who knows.

And we can say that some of these teams are average....but based on record we are not a good team.

Friendly wager then - you’re predicting what - 2 wins? For pride alone, I’ll bet you we win 6. Whoever’s closest wins bragging rights.

Friendly wager then - you’re predicting what - 2 wins? For pride alone, I’ll bet you we win 6. Whoever’s closest wins bragging rights.
I am betting on 4 wins. It would be nice to get 6 but I just don't see it. I think between Pitt, Va Tech, and BC we can win one of those since they are at home. But I tell you this, if KS comes in and pulls a Citadel on us the second game....it may be a 1 win year. I hope the staff takes practicing against the option more serious this time around.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I am betting on 4 wins. It would be nice to get 6 but I just don't see it. I think between Pitt, Va Tech, and BC we can win one of those since they are at home. But I tell you this, if KS comes in and pulls a Citadel on us the second game....it may be a 1 win year. I hope the staff takes practicing against the option more serious this time around.
Agreed. If we aren't ready to play KSU, that will be very bad. I'm 100% sure KSU will be ready for that game. If we aren’t ready it might be very ugly. As for the rest of the schedule there are winnable games if we out execute the other team, but that was true this year as well. Laying eggs like the Syracuse and BC games won’t get it done.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
LSU was coming off a year where they lost something like 21 of 22 starters, and had multiple opt outs among their projected starters for this year. Their 2 QBs were freshmen, and they still beat Florida on the road. Clemson is losing a similar amount of production this year. They’ll still win the Atlantic, and more than likely the ACC, but they’re going to have a significant drop-off when compared to the traditional powerhouses next year. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if UGA boat raced them in Charlotte next year. LSU’s recruiting rankings since 2017 are: 8, 14, 3, 4, and 3.

Oregon was one of the youngest teams in college football last year. 73% of their roster was underclassmen. 4 of their best defensive players were draft eligible and all are returning next year. Since 2017 Oregon’s recruiting rankings are: 17, 13, 7, 9, and 6. Cristobal is considered one of the best coaches in the country.

To think LSU and Oregon aren’t elite teams based on their results from last year is asinine.

Based on 2020’s data, because 2021 isn’t updated yet, UCLA and Georgia Tech both play 5 teams ranked in the top 25 of 247’s team talent composite

UCLA
  • LSU - 6
  • USC - 10
  • Oregon - 12
  • Washington - 19
  • Stanford - 20
Tech
  • Georgia - 1
  • Clemson - 4
  • ND - 8
  • Miami - 18
  • UNC - 22
The next highest rated teams each team plays are Arizona State at #30, and Virginia Tech at #36. Just because you don’t respect PAC-12 football doesn’t mean UCLA isn’t playing some top-tier teams.

Last edited:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
LSU was coming off a year where they lost something like 21 of 22 starters, and had multiple opt outs among their projected starters for this year. Their 2 QBs were freshmen, and they still beat Florida on the road. Clemson is losing a similar amount of production this year. They’ll still win the Atlantic, and more than likely the ACC, but they’re going to have a significant drop-off when compared to the traditional powerhouses next year. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if UGA boat raced them in Charlotte next year. LSU’s recruiting rankings since 2017 are: 8, 14, 3, 4, and 3.

Oregon was one of the youngest teams in college football last year. 73% of their roster was underclassmen. 4 of their best defensive players were draft eligible and all are returning next year. Since 2017 Oregon’s recruiting rankings are: 17, 13, 7, 9, and 6. Cristobal is considered one of the best coaches in the country.

To think LSU and Oregon aren’t elite teams based on their results from last year is asinine.

Based on 2020’s data, because 2021 isn’t updated yet, UCLA and Georgia Tech both play 5 teams ranked in the top 25 of 247’s team talent composite

UCLA
  • LSU - 6
  • USC - 10
  • Oregon - 12
  • Washington - 19
  • Stanford - 20
Tech
  • Georgia - 1
  • Clemson - 4
  • ND - 8
  • Miami - 18
  • UNC - 22
The next highest rated teams each team plays are Arizona State at #30, and Virginia Tech at #36. Just because you don’t respect PAC-12 football doesn’t mean UCLA isn’t playing some top-tier teams.
There's a noticeable difference between playing two of the top 4 and three in the top 8 vs 6th, 10th, and 12th. LSU could probably do well against any of Tech's 3, but USC and Oregon couldn't. All of Tech's 3 could do well against all of UCLA's 3.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
There's a noticeable difference between playing two of the top 4 and three in the top 8 vs 6th, 10th, and 12th. LSU could probably do well against any of Tech's 3, but USC and Oregon couldn't. All of Tech's 3 could do well against all of UCLA's 3.
But that’s really not the point. Tech would lose 3 games to either of the top 3 on each schedule. The original comment was that nobody was playing a schedule as tough as Tech’s. UCLA’s and many others are comparable, or just as tough is what my point was. My other main point is that outside of the top 5 games on Tech’s schedule, every other game is very winnable. Like I said before, Pitt on the road is the only other game that I see as a probable loss.

But to go along with my points on LSU, Oregon, and Clemson; LSU and Oregon will be significantly improved next year, while Clemson will probably take a step back. LSU lost a significant portion of their roster in a year with limited practice. Oregon’s roster was extremely young in a year with limited practice. Clemson is going to lose basically all of their best players on both sides of the ball. Georgia is the only team on either schedule that is head and shoulders above every other team. To truly play somebody comparable to Georgia you’d need to have either Alabama or Ohio State. But because Tech, and probably nobody else outside of the top 5, is going to beat Georgia anyway it’s irrelevant when comparing schedules.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
My friend who is a Penn State fan has been telling me to just "forget" about last year due to all the Covid stuff. Penn State lost their first 5 games, including embarassing losses
to Maryland and Nebraska. Then they won their last 4 and declined a bowl. Maybe an apples to apples comparison between PSU and GT is not valid for many reasons. But in some ways, I would have felt better for us to have lost to FSU and Louisville and won the NC State and Pitt games , ending the year winning 3 out of 4.
I am a big believer in attitude as it applies to trends and momentum.
After 2 years , we look like we play in fits and starts.....1 step forward, 2 steps back......3 steps forward , 2 steps back. Talk about recruiting is fun, but results on the field matter more. IMHO we are 1 year away from saying "CGC is building something special at Tech" to "CGC is struggling to get the rebuild off the ground". If, as someone previously suggested, we get 4 wins next year, selling the rebuild dream only gets more difficult.

Last edited:

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

UCLA
  • LSU - 6
  • USC - 10
  • Oregon - 12
  • Washington - 19
  • Stanford - 20
Tech
  • Georgia - 1
  • Clemson - 4
  • ND - 8
  • Miami - 18
  • UNC - 22

You called LSU/Oregon - two teams that combined for a 9-7 record in 2020 - equivalent to Clemson and UGA - two teams that combined to go 20-4. 3 of those losses came against playoff teams. Just ridiculous.

There is no use continuing this debate. We will not find common ground.