2021 Recruiting Class & Transfers In

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Don't tell the usual white 'n gold uniform suspects, but I must admit it took me like 4-5 looks at that pic to figure out which team was GT.

embarrassed1.gif

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If full stands are allowed for games this year can we finally put 45-50,000 actual TECH fans in the seats. People don’t realize how important attendance is. since this is a recruiting thread, ask yourself this:
what kid wants to play for a team struggling to put 35,000 people in the seats.
Part of me says it may be a long time before 45 thousand watch any ball game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If full stands are allowed for games this year can we finally put 45-50,000 actual TECH fans in the seats. People don’t realize how important attendance is. since this is a recruiting thread, ask yourself this:
what kid wants to play for a team struggling to put 35,000 people in the seats.

Three things:

1. I don't think we're going to see many games with attendance in the 45-50K range. uga for sure, and maybe NIU or KSU since they are the first games back after COVID, and one of them is likely to have extra free passes for the STHs to distribute, and maybe UNC (but put a pin in that game, I'll come back to it)

2. The uga game will likely be at least half uga fans, not "actual TECH fans'" &

3. Chick-fil-a still gets a game from us for the MBS deal, which I don't believe has been determined yet. The most intriguing matchup on our schedule, other than uga, is UNC, so chances are that top 25 draw won't even be at BDS this season.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m hoping next year CFB does free eligibility and transfer again, but a requirement of a vaccine to play in the season. players can sit out again if they don’t want to play with the vaccine.
Had my annual physical yesterday and it ended with an interesting conversation about the vaccines (he's part of NW Medical School, who has been working with Abbott). Not sure how I feel about requiring vaccinations for anyone, yet.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
GT showing up on both sides of the XPortal ledger:

Not unexpected for a team undergoing a coaching transition. I think a lot of players stuck around for a 1 year test run to see if they could earn playing time with a new staff, could get their degree, or just really love the Institute and had to make certain the weren't making a rash decision bailing on a new coach. I expect we should see less transfers out and we'll be very selective on transfers coming in,. I could be terribly wrong though. New transfer and eligibility rules will affect every team in some way.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not unexpected for a team undergoing a coaching transition. I think a lot of players stuck around for a 1 year test run to see if they could earn playing time with a new staff, could get their degree, or just really love the Institute and had to make certain the weren't making a rash decision bailing on a new coach. I expect we should see less transfers out and we'll be very selective on transfers coming in,. I could be terribly wrong though. New transfer and eligibility rules will affect every team in some way.

I think you are both correct and yet probably wrong as well. I do think the initial surge of transfers in/out was to be expected, and had the NCAA CFB landscape not been changing, I think they would be slowing down.

Where I think you are wrong is that with "free agency" in the form of one time transfers with no requirement to sit a year on the horizon, I think we will see transfers continue at roughly the same rate we are seeing now. More some years, less in others, but roughly equal to or possibly slightly higher than where they are now. I think this will be true for all but the bluebloods, who will still see transfers out, but there transfers in will remain the same, which is generally low, because they will continue to roll the dice with 5* and high 4* recruits instead.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I think you are both correct and yet probably wrong as well. I do think the initial surge of transfers in/out was to be expected, and had the NCAA CFB landscape not been changing, I think they would be slowing down.

Where I think you are wrong is that with "free agency" in the form of one time transfers with no requirement to sit a year on the horizon, I think we will see transfers continue at roughly the same rate we are seeing now. More some years, less in others, but roughly equal to or possibly slightly higher than where they are now. I think this will be true for all but the bluebloods, who will still see transfers out, but there transfers in will remain the same, which is generally low, because they will continue to roll the dice with 5* and high 4* recruits instead.
Not sure about going forward. What many of these kids are showing is that there may not be a landing place and those still in school might be paying attention. There will be more than there used to be IMO but i do think this year could be the high point.