2021 Recruiting Class & Transfers In

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
And you expected for to be there in year 2? That’s on you for having ridiculous expectations.
No that's not what I meant.

I was referring to what the post I quoted was saying and the series of quotes that led to that. They were essentially saying that is the likely ceiling of Tech recruiting.

I'm saying that ceiling is not enough in the long term.

Never said I expected to be in the acc championship game or playoffs by year 2.

ScGold

Banned
I quoted accurate facts. Some people don't like them. Apparently you don't like these particular facts. That's not my problem.
U aren't recognizing the type of transfers we got this year aren't typical. The 4 in question aren't because the metric to be able to use their hs * rating for this class doesn't exist. Whether we are 15 is irrelevant to the fact that everyone $hitting on the class or chiming on the ranking as if the class is below avg don't see the big picture. Every need this team needed to get better it did in spades. The new players coming are adding to the incredible foundation started last year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Your "facts" in a vacuum mean nothing. You have to look at all the data to have a better understanding of what is actually happening. That's the point I am trying to convey. I won't speak for anyone else.

U aren't recognizing the type of transfers we got this year aren't typical. The 4 in question aren't because the metric to be able to use their hs * rating for this class doesn't exist. Whether we are 15 is irrelevant to the fact that everyone $hitting on the class or chiming on the ranking as if the class is below avg don't see the big picture. Every need this team needed to get better it did in spades. The new players coming are adding to the incredible foundation started last year.

Both of you apparently missed the post my "facts" responded to. I

"He was hired by GT to bring GT in the actual game of college football rather than just throwing a team on the field every Saturday. If you can’t see that after 2 years I don’t know what more it will take for you and others to realize GT has finally decided to compete as an overall program."

I responded that it was not obvious after two years that we are bringing GT in the "actual game of football" or whatever that means. We are a three win team on average and recruiting rankings aren't great this year. Those are facts. Do they tell the whole story? Of course not. That wasn't my point. My point was to show the original poster that there is valid reason for many fans to be concerned about the direction of GT football under CGC. While I am not overly concerned yet, I understand why many are.

The point of this whole exercise has been proven time and again by now. Cherry picked stats can drive any narrative. A whole lot of posters who called nuance 'excuses" are now saying that facts don't stand alone and have to be considered with extenuating circumstances. I agree with that stance, and do agree we probably recruited a borderline top 30 class this year, but my point has been proven. In years past we weren't allowed to add nuance to recruiting rankings. Now we have to add nuance to them. Go figure.

If you look at the totality of my posts, you will find I am arguing for CGC to get at LEAST 4 years before we start to worry. If I felt he wasn't capable of reaching his goals I wouldn't take that stance. Either way, I am tired of people on here telling fans they HAVE to like a coach in order to support the team. That's not true and has never been true. People can disagree on style/methods and still cheer for the team just like every other fan. We don't have to be in lockstep unison to be true fans.

ScGold

Banned
Both of you apparently missed the post my "facts" responded to. I

"He was hired by GT to bring GT in the actual game of college football rather than just throwing a team on the field every Saturday. If you can’t see that after 2 years I don’t know what more it will take for you and others to realize GT has finally decided to compete as an overall program."

I responded that it was not obvious after two years that we are bringing GT in the "actual game of football" or whatever that means. We are a three win team on average and recruiting rankings aren't great this year. Those are facts. Do they tell the whole story? Of course not. That wasn't my point. My point was to show the original poster that there is valid reason for many fans to be concerned about the direction of GT football under CGC. While I am not overly concerned yet, I understand why many are.

The point of this whole exercise has been proven time and again by now. Cherry picked stats can drive any narrative. A whole lot of posters who called nuance 'excuses" are now saying that facts don't stand alone and have to be considered with extenuating circumstances. I agree with that stance, and do agree we probably recruited a borderline top 30 class this year, but my point has been proven. In years past we weren't allowed to add nuance to recruiting rankings. Now we have to add nuance to them. Go figure.

If you look at the totality of my posts, you will find I am arguing for CGC to get at LEAST 4 years before we start to worry. If I felt he wasn't capable of reaching his goals I wouldn't take that stance. Either way, I am tired of people on here telling fans they HAVE to like a coach in order to support the team. That's not true and has never been true. People can disagree on style/methods and still cheer for the team just like every other fan. We don't have to be in lockstep unison to be true fans.
To the contrary my friend, u said everyone gets transfers they can't be used to change the recruiting classes ranking. Yes everyone did have the opportunity to use the portal, Geoff did it better on paper better than anyone. I see it as u are not accepting that premuse. Bottom line is the talent level on the team is getting better quick. Yes it's time to see what these coaches can get better to.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
To derail the current conversation:
Do we have a list of early enrollee freshman and is Leo Blackburn one of them? Dude is balling out and I want him on the field as soon as possible

slugboy

Staff member
To derail the current conversation:
Do we have a list of early enrollee freshman and is Leo Blackburn one of them? Dude is balling out and I want him on the field as soon as possible
There are some in paywalled sites. I haven’t seen a public one.

I’m still not sure how Spring practice is going to work this season, and when vaccines are going to be available for players. If vaccinations aren’t done in time for Spring practice, I’d like the NCAA to make some adjustments so that we could have a late Spring session. I’m hoping this Spring is more of a full practice than last year.

Deleted member 2897

If this is their honest opinion, they have to ignore every major football statistic including the score. I wouldn’t waste energy on people like that. Those are the people that complain about literally everything, even when we’re winning.

Deleted member 2897

I’m still not sure how Spring practice is going to work this season, and when vaccines are going to be available for players. If vaccinations aren’t done in time for Spring practice, I’d like the NCAA to make some adjustments so that we could have a late Spring session. I’m hoping this Spring is more of a full practice than last year.

My 18 year old daughter volunteers at a local hospital once a week and got her second vaccine nearly 2 weeks ago. We should have had our guys doing the same, working 1 shift at a grocery store, tutoring in a local school once a week - something that could have gotten them all vaccinated by now. It’s apparently what all the cool kids are doing.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

The 247 commit page lists who is enrolled. Tatum, Franklin, Edwards, Peery, Carroll, and Robinson.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't follow recruiting very often, but those numbers cited for 2021 are depressing, and my question is: is Collins regressing to the mean, and should this be what we expect going forward, or did he have a ton of commitments veer off at the last moment? I do not recall Collins has/had a reputation for player development. This just doesn't look good for us.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I don't follow recruiting very often, but those numbers cited for 2021 are depressing, and my question is: is Collins regressing to the mean, and should this be what we expect going forward, or did he have a ton of commitments veer off at the last moment? I do not recall Collins has/had a reputation for player development. This just doesn't look good for us.
The question you are asking is the premise of the thread. Recommend starting on page 1 and reading through for different opinions.

slugboy

Staff member
TL;DR: with a combination of the high school recruits and the transfers, this looks like a good class. We didn’t scare Miami or Clemson. I heard good feedback from the recruitniks who saw the players.

In conference, Clemson, then Miami and UNC are in a top tier. Looking at the other teams in conference, we probably did better than a lot of the ones “ahead” of us, all things considered.

Collins does have a reputation for getting players to the NFL—especially DBs. That would seem to be a “player development” reputation. He doesn’t have a reputation for X’s and O’s on offense, but he does on defense.

It looks a lot more like the Transfer Portal was full of young and highly rated players, and Collins went that route. There’s debate about how much credit to give for getting transfers who have up to 4 years of eligibility.

I’d say to estimate it in the middle somewhere—better for building our team next year than a 45-ish class ranking purely based on the high school numbers, but not a top-20 class. I’m not going to debate how far in the middle one way or the other it goes.

In the class, we got a QB we wanted, several really good WR recruits, multiple good (or better) DE/DL recruits, a linebacker we really wanted, and some really good OL recruits, a TE we wanted, a possible replacement for Harvin, and talent at the safety position.

This seemed to be an unusual year in the transfer portal, and we picked up several players who could be game changers for us at DB, OL, and DE/DL. We got a transfer at LB that was an honorable mention All-Big 10.

Some positions of need were addressed. If you’d added a big NG prospect and a fast middle linebacker-type to what we had, I’d have been happy with it.

We also have Cochran playing this 2021 season. There’s a shot at having a good OL.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Is Cochran a sure thing? Seems doubtful.
You can feel doubtful about it you want. Facts are, he was a three year starter going up against very good competition in the SEC and was projected to be a 2021 NFL draft pick. Certainly had all the offers you would hope to see a prospect have as a HS recruit. Only concern is his conditioning and form that he probably missed over the course of the past year. Thankfully, he enrolled in January and will get started with that soon.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Id say he’s a sure thing to be an upgrade over Williams. So the Tackle performance and depth should improve even if he’s not the LT draft prospect we were expecting to have last year.
So you want to put a true freshman on the bench who started last year ? Great way to lose part of the team ( Remember the B** L**** years you don't want to divide the team ) If he is that good you have to find a place for both ,