2021 Offseason Work Out Program

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Watch the film. The players are bouncing in a full squat in multiple frames. Like I said, this is dangerous at every age and state of physical condition.
Bruh, they're surrounded by a top of the line S&C team that's worked with them almost constantly over the past off season. They probably know their range of motion and what's safe more than some random keyboard warrior.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Watch the film. The players are bouncing in a full squat in multiple frames. Like I said, this is dangerous at every age and state of physical condition.
Neat. You also said they were bouncing on their knees in a “hyper extended” position which is literally impossible to do while they are squatting. These guys squat 300+ pounds regularly. A lot of them squat 400+ regularly. Doing a little Russian jig for a few seconds is most definitely not dangerous. That was actually probably the least dangerous thing they did relative to the actual workout they were doing. Squats, cleans, lunges, deadlifts, box jumps, agility drills, etc. are all more dangerous than that little dance if we’re talking risk of injury.

Lighten up Francis

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m sure athletes are not explicitly given priority but are probably given a heads up before the vaccine sign ups go out.

I’ve been refreshing the page every few hours waiting on mine!

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Neat. You also said they were bouncing on their knees in a “hyper extended” position which is literally impossible to do while they are squatting. These guys squat 300+ pounds regularly. A lot of them squat 400+ regularly. Doing a little Russian jig for a few seconds is most definitely not dangerous. That was actually probably the least dangerous thing they did relative to the actual workout they were doing. Squats, cleans, lunges, deadlifts, box jumps, agility drills, etc. are all more dangerous than that little dance if we’re talking risk of injury.

Lighten up Francis
Just to further your point, these guys could hit 400+ with several guys hitting 500+. I’m just an enthusiast lifter in my spare time and I hit 300+ weekly. Granted they don’t necessarily train for top end strength so it’s a bit different. Either way, mid way through a squat is a power position not a dangerous one. Hyperextended knees would be like locking your knees on a leg press, now that is dangerous.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Lighten up Francis
The reason I wrote the post is that I used to squat 400 regularly myself. (My personal best was 450, but I used 400 as my top squat weight in regular workouts. At a body weight of - ahem - 190, btw.) I know how dangerous a squat with heavy weights is. I also know that anyone who does squats regularly with heavy weight is well advised to avoid any fooling around with your knees in hyperextended positions. The reason squats with heavy weight are dangerous is because of the possibility - all too common - of losing control of the weight laterally due to momentary knee instability. If that happens you can be truly up the creek and truly without an oar very quickly. I know; it happened to me at least (it was a while ago) twice and I payed for it. That's why I was so surprised to see our players fooling around in the weight room and without knee braces too boot. Lifting heavy weights is a serious business and coaches should treat it that way. There's plenty of time for fun out on the field.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The reason I wrote the post is that I used to squat 400 regularly myself. (My personal best was 450, but I used 400 as my top squat weight in regular workouts. At a body weight of - ahem - 190, btw.) I know how dangerous a squat with heavy weights is. I also know that anyone who does squats regularly with heavy weight is well advised to avoid any fooling around with your knees in hyperextended positions. The reason squats with heavy weight are dangerous is because of the possibility - all too common - of losing control of the weight laterally due to momentary knee instability. If that happens you can be truly up the creek and truly without an oar very quickly. I know; it happened to me at least (it was a while ago) twice and I payed for it. That's why I was so surprised to see our players fooling around in the weight room and without knee braces too boot. Lifting heavy weights is a serious business and coaches should treat it that way. There's plenty of time for fun out on the field.
Dude, I don’t think you know what hyperextended means. If you did you would realize that it’s impossible for your knees to be hyperextended midway through a squat. Your knees are in flexion during a squat, not extension. That dance they were doing is in no way dangerous. If you think that’s dangerous and should be stopped on the basis of safety, then you might as well wrap the players in bubble wrap, not let them lift or run, don’t let them walk up stairs, don’t let them do anything. That dance for a few seconds is probably less dangerous than walking to class.

Also, hyper extension really isn’t all that dangerous anyway. Having it happen when a lot of pressure and/or weight is, but a fully extended knee is a perfectly healthy position to be in. It’s actually normal to train hyperextension in order to strengthen the quad muscles and reduce stress in the knee. But that’s not what was happening here because they were never in hyperextension

Last edited:

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
The Office Reaction GIF

I’m never making one of these threads again.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Just......stop

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Imagine claiming to be some lifting savant and then also asking why players aren't in "knee braces" in the weight room. Get outta here 😂😂

the only time anyone is in knee braces in the weight room is if you're too lazy to change into shorts for a post practice stretch and lift

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Imagine claiming to be some lifting savant and then also asking why players aren't in "knee braces" in the weight room. Get outta here 😂😂

the only time anyone is in knee braces in the weight room is if you're too lazy to change into shorts for a post practice stretch and lift
Totally agree. However, I think you're thinking of different knee braces; think lifting knee sleeves, not the braces you see OL wear in games/practice. Very common for heavy squats in a weight room. Still entirely unrelated to the video posted as they were doing no heavy squats and just messing around. Sure, messing around can cause injury, we see every year someone get injured during a celebration but that's so rare you can't plan for that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree. However, I think you're thinking of different knee braces; think lifting knee sleeves, not the braces you see OL wear in games/practice. Very common for heavy squats in a weight room. Still entirely unrelated to the video posted as they were doing no heavy squats and just messing around. Sure, messing around can cause injury, we see every year someone get injured during a celebration but that's so rare you can't plan for that.
Those are, in fact, what I was referring to. My bad, I should have been more specific.