2021 Offseason Work Out Program

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
As much as I love the other three...Gibbs better be getting as many carries as the other three combined.

Truthfully i hope not. Gibbs is a slashing runner I'd rather he averaged more per carry and had more runs over 20 yards. I'd love to see him get about 40 percent of the carries, with Mason getting aroudn 30 and the others splitting the rest. If we are doing that I think we are going to have a healthy backfield that maintains its health over the course of the year.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Truthfully I hope not. Gibbs is a slashing runner I'd rather he averaged more per carry and had more runs over 20 yards. I'd love to see him get about 40 percent of the carries, with Mason getting aroudn 30 and the others splitting the rest. If we are doing that I think we are going to have a healthy backfield that maintains its health over the course of the year.
Its all about touches not necessarily carries to me. I think your %'s are right but I would apply that to RB touches. Gibbs needs 35 to 40% of the total RB touches with JPM close behind and the other two splitting the rest. I also hope we stay at the 60/40 run to pass ratio which we saw last year.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Its all about touches not necessarily carries to me. I think your %'s are right but I would apply that to RB touches. Gibbs needs 35 to 40% of the total RB touches with JPM close behind and the other two splitting the rest. I also hope we stay at the 60/40 run to pass ratio which we saw last year.

I think we will eb most successful with perhaps a tiny bit more run and controlling the game to allow our play action to work better until sims gets a tiny bit more experience he's still going to be a true sophmore.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck

I hope the offense relies way more on the running game. I agree on Gibbs needing touches but it’s hard to deny Mason who’s physicality softens up the defense for someone like Gibbs. Then add Donte’s explosiveness. If this team focuses on imposing its will through the ground game, then 5-6 wins will come easily this up coming season.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Sigh... People just watch the ball.

It is about the OL, not the RBs. We are likely to have 3 guys on the OL that didn't play for us last year and all 5 might be new from 2019. If their strength turns out to be pass blocking, you pass more. If it is run blocking, then you run more. The strength of the OL (if it had one) the last two years was run blocking due to personnel and the experience of prior years, but it doesn't mean that will be true next year.

Who gets touches and what you do also depends on the strength of the D that you are playing that week. Gibbs might have a week where his receiving yards are more than his rushing yards.
The current subject of this thread is OK for off season amusement I suppose, but it's not really worth much.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sigh... People just watch the ball.

It is about the OL, not the RBs. We are likely to have 3 guys on the OL that didn't play for us last year and all 5 might be new from 2019. If their strength turns out to be pass blocking, you pass more. If it is run blocking, then you run more. The strength of the OL (if it had one) the last two years was run blocking due to personnel and the experience of prior years, but it doesn't mean that will be true next year.

Who gets touches and what you do also depends on the strength of the D that you are playing that week. Gibbs might have a week where his receiving yards are more than his rushing yards.
The current subject of this thread is OK for off season amusement I suppose, but it's not really worth much.
If you're watching on tv, then yes it's likely that you follow the ball, because tv forces that. The first second after the snap, you can typically pickup the guard-center movement to know where the play is likely going. If Quinney moves/starts to LG, then, I would expect us to pass more If our guards are less than 6'-5", I would look for more running.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You have to focus on the offensive line. So far we have not seen significant improvement under the Collins regime with Key as our OL Coach. We need to develop an attitude of toughness and domination within that group. Like the old Bomb Squad that we had years ago. I think we have the size and strength but we have yet to develop the skills necessary to become a top notch offensive line. If that happens, we have enough complimentary offensive pieces to become a really good to great offense. If we do not see significant development and improvement this coming season, I think we have start re-evaluating the coaching and make some changes.

Go Jackets!

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am totally in the camp that the offensive line is the most important group for the 2021 season and is for every season. When we beat UGA and win the Orange Bowl it’s because our OLine is dominant. I know it’s fun to watch the skilled positions because they have the ball but we’ll see a repeat of the last 2 years regardless of the skilled positions if our OLine isn’t ready. I’m glad our coach gets that. Now all we can do is hope that we turn the corner.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I am totally in the camp that the offensive line is the most important group for the 2021 season and is for every season. When we beat UGA and win the Orange Bowl it’s because our OLine is dominant. I know it’s fun to watch the skilled positions because they have the ball but we’ll see a repeat of the last 2 years regardless of the skilled positions if our OLine isn’t ready. I’m glad our coach gets that. Now all we can do is hope that we turn the corner.
Hell yeah! Football is all about the ugly guys that get dirty, bloody, sweaty and probably smell bad too.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
You have to focus on the offensive line. So far we have not seen significant improvement under the Collins regime with Key as our OL Coach. We need to develop an attitude of toughness and domination within that group. Like the old Bomb Squad that we had years ago. I think we have the size and strength but we have yet to develop the skills necessary to become a top notch offensive line. If that happens, we have enough complimentary offensive pieces to become a really good to great offense. If we do not see significant development and improvement this coming season, I think we have start re-evaluating the coaching and make some changes.

Go Jackets!

Same page, Jerry but we have to have the bodies. We are getting there and I expect significant improvement this year. But I expect Ross-like OL play next year.

Give our guys the time they need. There are no shortcuts.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But I expect Ross-like OL play next year.

Give our guys the time they need. There are no shortcuts.
I have seen a lot of GT FB over the years. But the 1990 OL to this day sticks out in my mind, They just physically dominated the LOS and, perhaps like this years basketball team, the sum was greater than its parts. I really hope the younger fans get to enjoy that at least once.Hell, I hope to see it again at least once. that is fun football when you know you can just line up and get 5 yards at will anytime you want. That makes the play calling pretty easy although Ralph was a genius in his own right.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I have seen a lot of GT FB over the years. But the 1990 OL to this day sticks out in my mind, They just physically dominated the LOS and, perhaps like this years basketball team, the sum was greater than its parts. I really hope the younger fans get to enjoy that at least once.Hell, I hope to see it again at least once. that is fun football when you know you can just line up and get 5 yards at will anytime you want. That makes the play calling pretty easy although Ralph was a genius in his own right.

Pretty much how our 2014 crew was. Yeah shaq was a beast, but they were resetting the line of scrimage 2 yards off on most plays. I mean Laskey/days could pretty much get 4 yards by falling forward after the mesh after everything was clicking.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

I like the enthusiasm, but there were too many players bouncing around on their knees when in hyper extended positions. I don't care how much fun that is or whether it makes the players feel all special and everything; it's dangerous. At any age or state of physical conditioning. Period. Full Stop. You'd think the strength coaches would stop it in its tracks.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I like the enthusiasm, but there were too many players bouncing around on their knees when in hyper extended positions. I don't care how much fun that is or whether it makes the players feel all special and everything; it's dangerous. At any age or state of physical conditioning. Period. Full Stop. You'd think the strength coaches would stop it in its tracks.
Lmao. What are you even talking about

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The only lines that matched our size that year was Clemson.