2021 MLB Draft

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I would bet you are correct. If so, that would cause Rocker to lose college eligibility, which may explain why returning to Vandy is not in the cards for him.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
This is a little unusual...

My understanding is that the Mets had a $6M agreement with Rocker pending his physical. The Mets did not like something they saw in his elbow. Boras claims that Rocker is "healthy according to independent medical review by multiple prominent baseball orthopedic surgeons," as well as "When compared with his 2018 MRIs, the medical experts found no significant change." Not sure what his 2018 MRI's may have shown, but I don't trust the Mets medical staff based on their incompetence over the years. Different ownership group this year though. Rocker opted out of an MRI for top pitching draft picks that would have been available for all teams to review prior to the draft. Based on that, the Mets didn't have to offer him anything for draft compensation for failing to sign him, otherwise they'd have to offer him at least 40% of his bonus pool slot to get compensation if he didn't sign. We'll see. Mets get the 11 pick in the draft next year as well as their own pick. Was excited to add an arm like Rocker to the organization, but the Mets will Mets...

Squints

Helluva Engineer
My understanding is that the Mets had a $6M agreement with Rocker pending his physical. The Mets did not like something they saw in his elbow. Boras claims that Rocker is "healthy according to independent medical review by multiple prominent baseball orthopedic surgeons," as well as "When compared with his 2018 MRIs, the medical experts found no significant change." Not sure what his 2018 MRI's may have shown, but I don't trust the Mets medical staff based on their incompetence over the years. Different ownership group this year though. Rocker opted out of an MRI for top pitching draft picks that would have been available for all teams to review prior to the draft. Based on that, the Mets didn't have to offer him anything for draft compensation for failing to sign him, otherwise they'd have to offer him at least 40% of his bonus pool slot to get compensation if he didn't sign. We'll see. Mets get the 11 pick in the draft next year as well as their own pick. Was excited to add an arm like Rocker to the organization, but the Mets will Mets...

Eh. If they sign him with the knowledge the physical was bad and he blows out his arm people would say 'the Mets will Mets' in that instance too. They can't win. I'd give the Mets the benefit of the doubt on this one. There's a reason he fell to them in the first place. Reminds me of the Brady Aiken situation. Everyone dunked on the Astros for not signing him but he completely flamed out and they got Alex Bregman with the compensation pick. Don't have any data or anything I feel like the track record is bad for players where this happens. Teams are generally not willing to punt on a draft pick unless there's really some kind of issue. Especially a 1st round pick. It screws their whole bonus pool.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
If you haven't listened, it is really worth listening to that podcast to understand why he when when he did from MLB scout and analyst. Very informative.

Boras in the past had given fair warning to others about injuries, etc. So I wouldn't think he'd be hiding something on Rocker if it was there or disputable.
Some great ROI numbers on what the investment of $6M+ would have gotten them in ticket sales, merchandise, etc. as well as one helluva stud on the mound. Hope the Rangers take him in 22 and they reunite the dynamic dual and double threat...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you haven't listened, it is really worth listening to that podcast to understand why he when when he did from MLB scout and analyst. Very informative.

Boras in the past had given fair warning to others about injuries, etc. So I wouldn't think he'd be hiding something on Rocker if it was there or disputable.
Some great ROI numbers on what the investment of $6M+ would have gotten them in ticket sales, merchandise, etc. as well as one helluva stud on the mound. Hope the Rangers take him in 22 and they reunite the dynamic dual and double threat...

Agree. Just listened to podcast. Liked the discussion after Rocker too about how to manage the total bonus cap.

Mets are just fine having only deferred their #1 pick to next year. And the way medical records are used and "optional" is in the favor of the teams.

The ROI number they were throwing around was 5x or more. So a $6M pitcher like Rocker could be expected to bring in $30M+ to the MLB team. Wow. Talk about MLB being more of an entertainment business than a sport.