2021 Georgia Tech Draftees

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
This picture will be a lot clearer this time next year but who do you guys think have the best chances to get drafted next year? JP Mason, Tariq Carpenter, Tre Swilling?

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Swilling — maybe ClAyton or Juanyeh if they show something this year. Don’t really see mason as an NFL back; Carpenter not quite the athlete.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Mason is definitely an NFL back. He’ll get drafted late.

Mason has the ability to slide up and slot into full while being a short yardage back. People aren't really drafting runningbacks like they use to I think he'll be and UDFA but one that sticks around the league awhile.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
KQ answered this on twitter recently:

wait. Is he referring to kenny cooper? Ummmm no.

In fact. No one on this roster have shown draft capability as of years end. Lets see what 2020 brings.

but. A guy like swilling, mason, carpenter maybe thomas are trending into draft potential. No one has arrived yet

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tariq Carpenter and Juanyeh Thomas both need to move to LB...but I'm not sure we have the quality/depth yet behind them at the safety positions to do it. Both of them have average speed for safeties on this level, and they don't read the field at an elite level yet for the NFL. Great size, but the quickness, speed, and reading the game isn't all there for NFL level safeties. Remember how dominant Morgan Burnett was for us? I don't think Carpenter or Thomas either have played close to that level. Burnett was a 3rd rounder. Even Jemea Thomas played at a higher level then both of them so far...and he was a 6th rounder.

However, put them at LB, and their speed is at an elite level and they don't have to read the entire field. We need speed at LB, and Tariq I know played a Hybrid LB/Safety role last year. I think they would have a great chance at the NFL if they moved to LBs considering their skillset at DB combined with how it would translate to LB.

A poster on here said that the previous staffed envisioned Juanyeh eventually moving to LB when they recruited him. IMO, Tariq is the one with the highest upside should they move him to LB full time.

Will be interesting with Derrik Allen coming off a redshirt, and the possibility of 4 star Javier Morton signing in February what the staff does if both of these guys play to the level of their star rating (and we close on Morton). That would free us to move both our safeties to LB and get sorely needed elite speed and skillset at LB.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
NFL
Id argue he fits the NFL mold more than he fits the college mold.

NFL backs are more explosive in my mind, shifty and versatile out of the backfield -- especially for anyone in the later rounds. JPM, to me, is a physical back, but doesn't have a ton of burst or an explosive first step. Not really an elite athlete.

Tre, Juanyeh, and Charlie Thomas are the closest we have to NFL type athletes. Charlie and Juanyeh need to mix in production on the field.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
wait. Is he referring to kenny cooper? Ummmm no.

In fact. No one on this roster have shown draft capability as of years end. Lets see what 2020 brings.

but. A guy like swilling, mason, carpenter maybe thomas are trending into draft potential. No one has arrived yet
Realistic viewpoint.