2021 G1 NIU ATL Depth Chart

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Things started "clicking" for Sims more the second half. Someone posted some stats of Jeff Sims 2nd half of last season that put him in elite category...he was statistically the best QB within those parameters. Those stats were video game ridiculously good for Sims.

I posted in another thread a comparison of Sims's freshmen season versus Joe Hamilton's redshirt freshmen season, and Sims was comparatively the better QB.

There's a LOT of upside with Sims. Pair that with a much better and deeper OL this year, probably a top 10 (if not Topt 5) RB group in the nation to keep the defense honest in the secondary, and I personally think Sims will be in the discussion for one of the best QBs in the ACC after it's all said and done this season.

If Sims has the season I think he will, expect to see our QB recruiting start to take off. As I said before, GT fans need to root for Sims to succeed because he has the potential to set our program up for the highest levels after he's done playing here.
I think clicking might be a strong word for the second half. He cleaned up his turnovers a good bit but his other stats stayed at basically the same level (56%, 6.8 ypa, 7 TD). He has some work to do. Accuracy plagued him his Senior year of HS and plagued him last year as well in the first and second half of the season. If he can figure that out then the sky is the limit. If not, who knows. Maybe Peery gets a reasonable shot.

LibertyTurns

Banned
No concerns with Peery. He’s solid and Collins likes him. He hasn’t played in 2 years and is a true freshmen. And we need separation between him and Sims. So he’ll definitely redshirt since we have 2 other backups. If Sims doesn’t take that step forward this year then the QB battle will be interesting come the spring.
I understand that Peery had low odds to unseat Sims, but redshirts can play 3 games before they lose their redshirt year. Call me crazy but those 3 games are NIU, K St and Dook.

ATL is supposed to be players that “earned” the right to play. He obviously didn’t earn it for a gimme game where we expect 3 QBs to play & he’s the 4th option. Yates is an ok back up, the guy from Temple is more like a practice squad guy or clipboard holder. The star QB recruit from the year before, sorry forgot his name, was the guy that took a perennial competitive playoff Plant HS team & rode them limping into a late playoff spot. If Peery doesn’t have the chops to play as a P5 QB, we’re gonna be on year 3 trying to find a legitimate back up to Sims. That guy will be a brand spanking new Frosh trying to cut his teeth while being thrown directly into the fire.

We’re a heartbeat away , or a cheap shot aka Mutt, Dook, VT and now NIU ******* or possible a dickhead from Pitt, from a disaster scenario. Sorry, maybe I’m fretting too much but this is not a good scenario.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think clicking might be a strong word for the second half. He cleaned up his turnovers a good bit but his other stats stayed at basically the same level (56%, 6.8 ypa, 7 TD). He has some work to do. Accuracy plagued him his Senior year of HS and plagued him last year as well in the first and second half of the season. If he can figure that out then the sky is the limit. If not, who knows. Maybe Peery gets a reasonable shot.

If you want to cherry pick stats to put a player down, let's cherry pick some more:

Originally posted by @CuseJacket

That is ELITE. Cleaning up his turnovers is one of the hallmarks of "clicking". Fact is, Sims was a freshman with an abbreviated Fall Camp, playing behind one of the worst OLs in college football and he was able to show clear progress in the second half. Too bad it doesn't meet your expectations, but I saw growth in his game and expect to see even more this season. Patenaude has said the expectations is Sims needs to complete 60%+ of his passes...and he wasn't that far off his freshmen season.

The tools are there, and now he has to fulfill his potential. I have ZERO doubt he will.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I understand that Peery had low odds to unseat Sims, but redshirts can play 3 games before they lose their redshirt year. Call me crazy but those 3 games are NIU, K St and Dook.

ATL is supposed to be players that “earned” the right to play. He obviously didn’t earn it for a gimme game where we expect 3 QBs to play & he’s the 4th option. Yates is an ok back up, the guy from Temple is more like a practice squad guy or clipboard holder. The star QB recruit from the year before, sorry forgot his name, was the guy that took a perennial competitive playoff Plant HS team & rode them limping into a late playoff spot. If Peery doesn’t have the chops to play as a P5 QB, we’re gonna be on year 3 trying to find a legitimate back up to Sims. That guy will be a brand spanking new Frosh trying to cut his teeth while being thrown directly into the fire.

We’re a heartbeat away , or a cheap shot aka Mutt, Dook, VT and now NIU ******* or possible a dickhead from Pitt, from a disaster scenario. Sorry, maybe I’m fretting too much but this is not a good scenario.

I think this is an overreaction. Just because he isn't ready for game 1 after not even playing a senior season in High School doesn't mean he isn't going to be a good QB.

I doubt we plan to play anyone other than Sims and Yates in this game, anyway.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think this is an overreaction. Just because he isn't ready for game 1 after not even playing a senior season in High School doesn't mean he isn't going to be a good QB.

A lot of you doubted my reaction to Tucker Gleason. I’ll admit I hve not seen Peery play live other than videos, there’s the Rona BS, etc but from what I’ve seen with his highlights he has the skill to make the passes we need. There’s a lot of other intangibles that go into being a P5 QB, some are developmental and may take a kid a year or so to grasp. Others are natural. Higher caliber QBs step in their Freshman year and turn heads. Rarely do they unseat the incumbent, but they’re nipping at their heels. I honestly thought Peery was in that category, but if he’s #4 or the unthinkable below that, well we have no competition for Sims on the roster. Yates is a capable back up, it’s not like we’ll implode with him under center, but we’re probably not beating teams we’re 50-50 to win against with him. The kid from Temple, well he couldn’t hang onto a starting job there. Maybe he’s the second coming of Goose, but I doubt it. Peery was the competition, he enrolled early, has the tools and yet is mired BTL against a bottom feeder. I’ll be happy if I’m wrong, but the look is not good.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I think Trad Beatty plays as well.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I think you're reading too much into it. We'll be fine at QB. Not worried in the least bit.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you want to cherry pick stats to put a player down, let's cherry pick some more:

That is ELITE. Cleaning up his turnovers is one of the hallmarks of "clicking". Fact is, Sims was a freshman with an abbreviated Fall Camp, playing behind one of the worst OLs in college football and he was able to show clear progress in the second half. Too bad it doesn't meet your expectations, but I saw growth in his game and expect to see even more this season. Patenaude has said the expectations is Sims needs to complete 60%+ of his passes...and he wasn't that far off his freshmen season.

The tools are there, and now he has to fulfill his potential. I have ZERO doubt he will.

I interpreted those stats to talk about performance in the 3rd and 4th quarters when Tech was +/- a TD, not the second half of the season.

That being said, I think he could be a special guy. Time will tell with this kid. He's got the chops to do something.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Completion percentage, yards per attempt, and TD/INT are pretty standard statistics to measure a QBs performance. I'm not sure why you think they are cherry picking. Either way, all I was saying is that he has to improve his accuracy. He was a 51% passer as a Senior in HS, and then 55% his first year in college. I would hope we agree that has to get better. If it does, then there really isn't anything holding him back.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I interpreted those stats to talk about performance in the 3rd and 4th quarters when Tech was +/- a TD, not the second half of the season.

That being said, I think he could be a special guy. Time will tell with this kid. He's got the chops to do something.

I know what that meant. That's a good pressure situation for any QB to be in with the game in the balance. Sims exceeded a two VERY good ACC QBs (King, Howell) in that regard. That's the type of efficiency Paul Johnson would have wanted from his QBs.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know what that meant. That's a good pressure situation for any QB to be in with the game in the balance. Sims exceeded a two VERY good ACC QBs (King, Howell) in that regard.
Well, it took me 2-3 times reading to reach that conclusion. I don't assume others did. I won't repeat my second paragraph, but it still reflects how I feel.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I know what that meant. That's a good pressure situation for any QB to be in with the game in the balance. Sims exceeded a two VERY good ACC QBs (King, Howell) in that regard. That's the type of efficiency Paul Johnson would have wanted from his QBs.
I would say it's pretty hard to draw much of a conclusion on a yearly stat that only includes 19 attempts, nearly all of which were in two games. Although it's certainly not Sims fault that he only got that many. We had several times last year where we scored to get it within a TD and then they just scored right back.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
Is it normal to have 4 kickers on a depth chart? Is 2021 going to be another year of drinking and clenching when Tech lines up for a kick?

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of you doubted my reaction to Tucker Gleason. I’ll admit I hve not seen Peery play live other than videos, there’s the Rona BS, etc but from what I’ve seen with his highlights he has the skill to make the passes we need. There’s a lot of other intangibles that go into being a P5 QB, some are developmental and may take a kid a year or so to grasp. Others are natural. Higher caliber QBs step in their Freshman year and turn heads. Rarely do they unseat the incumbent, but they’re nipping at their heels. I honestly thought Peery was in that category, but if he’s #4 or the unthinkable below that, well we have no competition for Sims on the roster. Yates is a capable back up, it’s not like we’ll implode with him under center, but we’re probably not beating teams we’re 50-50 to win against with him. The kid from Temple, well he couldn’t hang onto a starting job there. Maybe he’s the second coming of Goose, but I doubt it. Peery was the competition, he enrolled early, has the tools and yet is mired BTL against a bottom feeder. I’ll be happy if I’m wrong, but the look is not good.
So are we judging kids before they even start their freshman seasons? What about the rest of the true freshmen who aren't ATL?