2021 Fielding

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great win today and all agree, Hurter's condition could impact this team significantly moving forward, but Grissom appears to have the talent and mental makeup to contribute to this season now - very encouraging as we obviously need another arm. Encouraging to see Maxwell throwing strikes today also - kid could be very good if he can figure out how to throw strikes more consistently. One note regarding the 1.7 errors/game. I don't watch every game but do watch most of them and it seems I often see Compton misplay multiple attempts to dig out throws in the dirt (or turf this weekend) or ground balls. He doesn't help cover up any poor throws from our infielders at all which could significantly help our errors stats. Hope he's taking X ground balls or balls in the dirt at practices to improve as he currently looks very awkward playing 1B. Obviously in their due to his bat - which does have a lot of upside...!

We have a fielding problem overall. 236th overall and "down" to 1.5 errors per game. https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/stats-def-errors-per-game

Here are the 19 April 2021 stats for non-pitchers. Only those with more than 15 put outs are listed and sorted in best to worst fielding %. Overall are in orange. Observations:
  1. Parada is damn good. I knew that but the stats show it.
  2. Jenkins and Compton have about the same fielding %. I *think* Jenkins looks more fluid at 1st but this shows they are about the same by this metric.
  3. We have an in field (3rd, SS, 2nd) fielding problem. Of course we knew that. But Malloy was much worse than I thought. Probably because he makes plays that others don't. But routine isn't his thing.

1618872207409.png

Pitchers are a fielding problem unto themselves. 10 of the team's 30 errors are on pitchers. Below is sorted by # of errors. Small numbers but big area for improvement.

1618872886907.png

Attachments

• 1618872643732.png
    1618872643732.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 6

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for sharing the data - very interesting to see the facts. 50% higher errors for GT vs opponents - good to know the facts. Of course there is no way of measuring (I believe) but to my original point, one wonders how many of those infielder/pitcher errors wouldn't show up in the stats if our 1B position player(s) could scoop a few more. Guessing 10-25% of those infield/pitcher errors wouldn't show up. By local comparison on a different level, when one watches the Braves, it is amazing how many infielder/pitcher throwing "errors" that First Baseman keeps from ever showing up in the stats over the course of a season (fact that he's an MLB MVP aside...!). Either way, no secret the priority of our position players is to bash - fielding won't ever be talked about this way but is secondary to bashing... Again, thanks for sharing that info...

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We have a fielding problem overall. 236th overall and "down" to 1.5 errors per game. https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/stats-def-errors-per-game

Here are the 19 April 2021 stats for non-pitchers. Only those with more than 15 put outs are listed and sorted in best to worst fielding %. Overall are in orange. Observations:
  1. Parada is damn good. I knew that but the stats show it.
  2. Jenkins and Compton have about the same fielding %. I *think* Jenkins looks more fluid at 1st but this shows they are about the same by this metric.
  3. We have an in field (3rd, SS, 2nd) fielding problem. Of course we knew that. But Malloy was much worse than I thought. Probably because he makes plays that others don't. But routine isn't his thing.

View attachment 10360

Pitchers are a fielding problem unto themselves. 10 of the team's 30 errors are on pitchers. Below is sorted by # of errors. Small numbers but big area for improvement.

View attachment 10362
Malloy really has just had one extremely bad weekend though and he's been great outside of that.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Curious about Luke and how his fielding percentage has trended. He had a rough start to the season, but I believe he's been better lately.

And I agree with @randerto that 1B errors don't fully capture the impact a good 1B can have. 1B errors are usually fielding, sometimes throwing if the need arises. Having a 1B that can pick balls from other infielders though is GOLD! As a Mets fan, I recall Keith Hernandez back in the 80's, and John Olerud in the late 90's. The Mets infield with Olerud at 1B was on an SI cover with the title "The Best Infield Ever?" A gold glove 1B makes the whole defense better.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Curious about Luke and how his fielding percentage has trended. He had a rough start to the season, but I believe he's been better lately.

And I agree with @randerto that 1B errors don't fully capture the impact a good 1B can have. 1B errors are usually fielding, sometimes throwing if the need arises. Having a 1B that can pick balls from other infielders though is GOLD! As a Mets fan, I recall Keith Hernandez back in the 80's, and John Olerud in the late 90's. The Mets infield with Olerud at 1B was on an SI cover with the title "The Best Infield Ever?" A gold glove 1B makes the whole defense better.

Luke had had 6 errors this season. First four games had four. Hasn't had one since the Pitt series. Definitely trending down. Fielding % I don't know. Anyone else know? https://data.ramblinwreck.com/stats/baseball/2021/plyr_7.htm