2021 Atlanta Braves

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Around the July 30 deadline, Atlanta traded for four outfielders: Adam Duvall, Joc Pederson, Eddie Rosario and Jorge Soler. In 101 plate appearances this postseason, they're hitting a combined .341/.400/.593 with six homers and 21 RBIs in eight games. Atlanta now up 3-1 in NLCS.

Panda was fun, but Eddie is worth his weight and more.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Good, decisive win. Nice bounce back. Rosario is the man.

The shots of all the fans tryna beat traffic were pretty savage. That place emptied out faster than ... ah, I got nothin. :cry: Go Braves.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Around the July 30 deadline, Atlanta traded for four outfielders: Adam Duvall, Joc Pederson, Eddie Rosario and Jorge Soler. In 101 plate appearances this postseason, they're hitting a combined .341/.400/.593 with six homers and 21 RBIs in eight games. Atlanta now up 3-1 in NLCS.

Panda was fun, but Eddie is worth his weight and more.
This is a great post!!!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
With Acuna back next year what will happen with all these terrific out fielders? Will there be a trade and if so who will be the one to exit and who will be the 3 starters? Ok lets hear from you guys because this is really gone be something!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
With Acuna back next year what will happen with all these terrific out fielders? Will there be a trade and if so who will be the one to exit and who will be the 3 starters? Ok lets hear from you guys because this is really gone be something!
I’ll take a shot at it, although it’s not my money and Alex Ant. has done a nice job since he’s been here. His combo. w/Snit. is reminiscent of Scheurholz/Cox. In AA, I trust.

-Jorge Soler is a 2022 FA. His 8m. salary prorated for Atl. was a bargain and we only gave up a lower A ball prospect in RHP Kasey Kalich. I say resign, platoon in RF.

-Joctober Pederson has a mutual option w/ the club for 2022 @ 2.5 m. He made 4.5m. prorated this season. Pearls cost the Braves nothing. Trade cost us Bryce Ball, a rising power prospect. Didn’t he play at Dallas Baptist? Big bopper. This is a must sign like Freddie Free.(we have zero 1B prospects ready). Platoon vs. RHP in RF.

-Adam Duvall made 2m. prorated this year. He’s arbitration eligible in 2022 with a 3m. option. The Braves were not going to use Alex Jackson, C. Great trade for the NL RBI leader. Kiss him, sign him, play him in CF for April and move to LF.

-Eddie Rosario played for the prorated amount of 8m for the Braves. He’s a ‘22 FA. Giving up the Panda, we let Heredia step up with the pink cheer toys(it’s going to allow @kg03 to get a pink convertible speedster)and Eddie showed us what a perfect LH stroke can do in getting hits in all 8 playoff games to date, and compliment Riley and his RH swing(who I will turn over to @kg01 for his expertise). I don’t think Atlanta signs him, but I would. He would give all the OFers a day off, and Freddie. The guy has played hurt this season, so we have not seen all of his versatility. He owns LH pitching, which is rare at this level for a LH stick.

I don’t trust Waters with his strikeouts and attitude. Pache, I would try to get something for him. Showcase him until Acuna gets healthy(he is at 70% and projects a May return). Adam, Eddie, Joc, can all play CF, as does Christian.

You can never have enough OFers. Don’t ask me about Ozuna? I have little knowledge of what will happen, other than to say, try to void that contract if it’s legally possible.

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Um, let's hope the Dodgers don't win.
Umm, we’re not in Texas anymore Clayton Kershaw. The last two games are in Truist Park, if needed. It gets loud.

Max Muncy, no. Kershaw, no. Gold Glove CF is playing 1B and two guys dropped balls last night in CF taking his place. Did you see Urias/Uranus giving Lux the arm waiving tantrum? That’s a team without an edge. Uncle Mo, is a Braves fan right now. He won’t eat a Dodger Dog right now, even if you put Lasorda mustard on it.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I’ll take a shot at it, although it’s not my money and Alex Ant. has done a nice job since he’s been here. His combo. w/Snit. is reminiscent of Scheurholz/Cox. In AA, I trust.

-Jorge Soler is a 2022 FA. His 8m. salary prorated for Atl. was a bargain and we only gave up a lower A ball prospect in RHP Kasey Kalich. I say resign, platoon in RF.

-Joctober Pederson has a mutual option w/ the club for 2022 @ 2.5 m. He made 4.5m. prorated this season. Pearls cost the Braves nothing. Trade cost us Bryce Ball, a rising power prospect. Didn’t he play at Dallas Baptist? Big bopper. This is a must sign like Freddie Free.(we have zero 1B prospects ready). Platoon vs. RHP in RF.

-Adam Duvall made 2m. prorated this year. He’s arbitration eligible in 2022 with a 3m. option. The Braves were not going to use Alex Jackson, C. Great trade for the NL RBI leader. Kiss him, sign him, play him in CF for April and move to LF.

-Eddie Rosario played for the prorated amount of 8m for the Braves. He’s a ‘22 FA. Giving up the Panda, we let Heredia step up with the pink cheer toys(it’s going to allow @kg03 to get a pink convertible speedster)and Eddie showed us what a perfect LH stroke can do in getting hits in all 8 playoff games to date, and compliment Riley and his RH swing(who I will turn over to @kg01 for his expertise). I don’t think Atlanta signs him, but I would. He would give all the OFers a day off, and Freddie. The guy has played hurt this season, so we have not seen all of his versatility. He owns LH pitching, which is rare at this level for a LH stick.

I don’t trust Waters with his strikeouts and attitude. Pache, I would try to get something for him. Showcase him until Acuna gets healthy(he is at 70% and projects a May return). Adam, Eddie, Joc, can all play CF, as does Christian.

You can never have enough OFers. Don’t ask me about Ozuna? I have little knowledge of what will happen, other than to say, try to void that contract if it’s legally possible.
Great reply, but who is Panda?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Astros lead 3-2, last two games scheduled for Houston at home.

Because of injuries and the Astros’ penchant for giving key offensive players occasional rest, the top seven hitters in their lineup -- Jose Altuve, Michael Brantley, Bregman, Yordan Alvarez, Correa, Kyle Tucker and AL batting champion Yuli Gurriel -- were all in the lineup at the same time in only 29 games during the regular season, during which the Astros went 18-11.
When it comes to the postseason, Gurriel, Altuve, Correa and Bregman have all had huge moments for the Astros in the last few years. Altuve has 18 career playoff homers and is a .306 career hitter in the postseason, while Correa has 17 homers and 50 RBIs in 63 games. Bregman has 11 career playoff homers. Then there’s Brantley (.311 career hitter in playoffs) and Tucker (.279 in the postseason).

If the Astros aren’t putting up tons of runs on offense, they’ll need their starters to work deep, especially right-hander Lance McCullers Jr. and lefty Framber Valdez, who are their top two starters. Luis Garcia wasn’t as effective down the stretch as he endured a career high in innings, but he has the ability to shut teams down for six innings. He pitched more than six innings three times in 28 starts, and José Urquidy went more than six innings five times in 20 starts.
From there, it’s about the back end of the bullpen. If their starters can go six innings, the Astros will have it lined up the way they want with Ryne Stanek pitching the seventh, Kendall Graveman in the eighth and All-Star closer Ryan Pressly in the ninth. Like they did so well in 2017, the Astros could piggyback starters, which means Zack Greinke or Jake Odorizzi could be a factor out of the ‘pen.

What’s the one reason for concern?
Despite midseason trades to acquire relievers Graveman, Yimi García and Phil Maton, the Astros’ bullpen isn’t as reliable as the club would like. With starters not pitching as deep into games as the season ended, Houston relievers had a 6.31 ERA in the final 11 games of the regular season.
The Astros ranked 24th in Major League Baseball in save percentage at 55.7 percent and were tied for seventh with the most blown saves (27). That’s why the Astros’ record in close games isn’t great. If Chicago gets into the Houston bullpen early in the series, the Astros are vulnerable.

Stanek, Graveman and Pressly can be a formidable 1-2-3, and Brooks Raley has put together a solid second half, but Maton (4.97 ERA with Houston) and García (5.48 ERA with Houston) have been shaky, and lefty Blake Taylor’s effectiveness has waned. Adding Greinke to the bullpen could help eat some innings, but the Astros’ best chance to win is having their starters to go six innings before turning it over to their most effective arms.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Umm, we’re not in Texas anymore Clayton Kershaw. The last two games are in Truist Park, if needed. It gets loud.

Max Muncy, no. Kershaw, no. Gold Glove CF is playing 1B and two guys dropped balls last night in CF taking his place. Did you see Urias/Uranus giving Lux the arm waiving tantrum? That’s a team without an edge. Uncle Mo, is a Braves fan right now. He won’t eat a Dodger Dog right now, even if you put Lasorda mustard on it.

Why didn't that guy catch that ball? Seemed routine. And I thought Betts was a CF too? Broadcast kept talking about how they have an outfield full of CF's. Enlighten us, please.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Why didn't that guy catch that ball? Seemed routine. And I thought Betts was a CF too? Broadcast kept talking about how they have an outfield full of CF's. Enlighten us, please.
Is Betts feeling his baseball middle age, because I’m not Bett-ing on him in RF, either? He looks tentative on average height or below fly balls or line drives. Gavin Lux might belong in the IF, since he doesn’t seem to judge liners in the OF?

They might blame it on that sun between CF and RF? Wasn’t it around 8 pm when MB closed his glove too soon. That’s not a brightness problem.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Even the best players make errors occasionally. There were a couple of balls that I thought should have been routine for MLB outfielders that the Dodgers badly misplayed. I certainly don't know the cause, but lights and glare are usually in the mix.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Even the best players make errors occasionally. There were a couple of balls that I thought should have been routine for MLB outfielders that the Dodgers badly misplayed. I certainly don't know the cause, but lights and glare are usually in the mix.

There was something weird about that one though. Usually if glare/sun/lights are at play, you notice it from all the outfielders. That wasn't the case yesterday. Not that I'm complaining.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There was something weird about that one though. Usually if glare/sun/lights are at play, you notice it from all the outfielders. That wasn't the case yesterday. Not that I'm complaining.
Betts is only 29 years old and has in the past been an outstanding defensive player. If there is a vision issue (or something else medically treatable) he should man up and get it fixed. My guess is that he just misplayed it. Heredia (I think) missed one last week.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Do you think we'll have a DH in 2022? That makes the OF seem less crowded.
That’s definitely something to consider for 2022. Like your point!
I was thinking about the four games in Houston. We need Soler back. The bench lacks pop, and we will need a DH. Contingent on winning 1 of the next 3 games.

Not having a backup first baseman or power hitting infield reserve, the Braves can’t have enough outfielders. Not to be negative, it’s been two years without Soroka, what if Acuna has a setback?