2021 ACC Coach Rankings

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
His second year-2009-was with Gailey's recruits--mostly the 2007 class that Collins brought in. Recruiting is a big part of P5 coaching.

Your post indicates how this program declined from 2008 to 2018. Johnson beat Duke his first 6 years (not 7), then lost 4 out of the next 5. Collins' record against Duke so far is better than Johnson's was for his last 5 years. And that's the program Collins inherited, and not the one from Johnson's first 6 years.

The original post I responded to stated that Collins took a 7 win program and needs to turn it into a six win program this year. I abhor the posts on this board like that one advancing statements that are not based on reasoned facts-- either out of ignorance or due to an agenda.

From the 2018 team we lost 8 starters on defense--plus Big B who would have started at DT in 2019--and 6 offensive starters, including the QB. 14 of 22 starters gone, plus an important DT. Based on those facts I'll state my opinion that if Johnson had returned in 2019 he might have won 4 games--which he knew and is why he didn't return. I'll also state that the 2018 team would not win more than 5 games with the schedule we have coming up. I also believe that the 2021 team will win at least 5 games--it's more talented than the 2018 team and a lot more talented than the 2019 team Johnson left behind.

The program declined under Johnson and it is on the way back up. You have to ignore the bulk of the facts to see it otherwise.

I'm pretty sure CPJ must have stolen your Halloween candy at some point.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure CPJ must have stolen your Halloween candy at some point.

He's pretty unhealthily obsessed with seeing anti collins sentiment in anything. Truthfully its a little worrisome. So i got a number off offhand posting from my phone on the ****ter big deal. Point is collins is 1-1 johsnon was 2-0 of course he gives all the credit to collins recruiting class ITs ALL COLLINS!!!!!! except johnson could win with collin's recruits collins doesn't seem to be be able to do that. Remember all of those collins recruits from 2007 were sophmores in 2009. Its apples to apples now by his logic.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He's pretty unhealthily obsessed with seeing anti collins sentiment in anything. Truthfully its a little worrisome. So i got a number off offhand posting from my phone on the ****ter big deal. Point is collins is 1-1 johsnon was 2-0 of course he gives all the credit to collins recruiting class ITs ALL COLLINS!!!!!! except johnson could win with collin's recruits collins doesn't seem to be be able to do that. Remember all of those collins recruits from 2007 were sophmores in 2009. Its apples to apples now by his logic.
It's also not possible in his mind that Duke was a significantly better football team the second half of CPJ's years and has since dropped off again. Every loss to Duke CPJ had was in a winning season for Duke where they ended with 7,8, or 9 wins. All their seasons of 6 or less wins and their 10 win season we beat them. Right now Collins has lost to a 5 win Duke team and beaten a 2 win Duke team (which is the worst Duke team since 2008).

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

In 2015 when everyone was calling for CPJs head, the coach everyone wanted for recruiting was Giff Smith, who's name was all over the 2007 class. I am still unsure how Collins is now getting sole credit for landing the 2007 class and Giff Smith, who was the former mastermind of the class, is now long forgotten. Not saying Collins didn't play a part, and his recruiting now is on fire, but the after the fact credit for 2007 seems like a bit of a stretch.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It's also not possible in his mind that Duke was a significantly better football team the second half of CPJ's years and has since dropped off again. Every loss to Duke CPJ had was in a winning season for Duke where they ended with 7,8, or 9 wins. All their seasons of 6 or less wins and their 10 win season we beat them. Right now Collins has lost to a 5 win Duke team and beaten a 2 win Duke team (which is the worst Duke team since 2008).

Duke also scheduled liek 2 or more option teams other than us. We were cutcliffe's superbowl he'd sacrifice beating UNC to prepare his team for beating us, his reason for adding the flex in after CPJ retired was mainly because he was forced to use the QB he signed to run it in practice despite anything else he'd say. Cut will retire in a few years. Probably if he can get duke back to a bowl that will be his last year.