2021 ACC Coach Rankings

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The rankings are pretty meaningless for CGC at the moment. It does underscore how important this season is to…
…reality, though

FIFY. At this point it’s time to judge the staff on wins and losses. He has three recruiting classes and a bunch of solid talent. If they win three games again then I think it’s fair to say they’re in over their heads. Some progress has to be made in the win column.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So I have to correct you. It is not just the head coaches job to make adjustments. It is the D coordinator and the O coordinator, with the help of their coaches. I would hope that if say a team runs a play and it succeeds that the D coordinator adjusts for the next time it is run. And how do you prepare for a game....study lots of film, history and come in with a plan for everything.

What's the most important skill to coaching? "Human relationships. Put yourself around great people." Bear Bryant.
This is what annoys me about when people use general terms when there’s a more specific term that adds clarity. When I hear “game management” in the context of football coaching, I assume it means clock management, general strategy, occasional play calling, personnel selection, substitutions, etc. It sounds like you are referring specifically to play calling and play calling adjustments. I would agree that (at least on defense) Collins should be able to perform those duties at a high level given his experience. I’m still not ready to buy that defensive play calling was a significant issue because execution was significant enough of an issue as to be a confounding variable in any attempt to measure the effectiveness of play calling. I’m not saying Collins or the staff should get a pass for poor execution (and it had better be much improved this year), but let’s keep the criticism where it’s due and not extend it into areas where it isn’t warranted. Though, if you have specific critiques of the play calling, such as issues with coverage selection, blitz frequency, formations, I’d love to hear them as I’m always trying to gain a better understanding of what’s happening on the field.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
A terrible loss to the Citadel. A complete obliteration by Clemson and blow out loss to VT with back to back 3 win seasons won't get many votes for Coach of the year. His first year was a learning e experience for him and his staff. The second year was a commitment to a freshman QB getting experience. This year is an indictment on his staff ; especially his two coordinators. We did not look prepared several times in some games. The Clemson game was a total embarrassment. Worst performance by a GT team I have ever witnessed. It was like what we would do to teams like Elon under PJ. The kicking game was probably the worst in D1. This year will be the year that defines the competency of the staff IMO. I hope to be surprised by better than expected results but not holding my breath.
It would have been easy for him to be ranked at the bottom. They gave him the benefit of the doubt.
Nope. Sorry, you're wrong. That may be next year, but it's not going to be this year.

This is what annoys me about when people use general terms when there’s a more specific term that adds clarity. When I hear “game management” in the context of football coaching, I assume it means clock management, general strategy, occasional play calling, personnel selection, substitutions, etc. It sounds like you are referring specifically to play calling and play calling adjustments. I would agree that (at least on defense) Collins should be able to perform those duties at a high level given his experience. I’m still not ready to buy that defensive play calling was a significant issue because execution was significant enough of an issue as to be a confounding variable in any attempt to measure the effectiveness of play calling. I’m not saying Collins or the staff should get a pass for poor execution (and it had better be much improved this year), but let’s keep the criticism where it’s due and not extend it into areas where it isn’t warranted. Though, if you have specific critiques of the play calling, such as issues with coverage selection, blitz frequency, formations, I’d love to hear them as I’m always trying to gain a better understanding of what’s happening on the field.
Game management involves knowing down and distance, time remaining, having the punt team ready. Study and planning involves film work, practice and a general plan that you might have to throw away 2 plays into the game.
Adjustments. A great example. 2014 Orange bowl. CPJ told me that studying film did not serve much purpose as most teams we played never played against an offense like his. He would use films to study trend of individual defensive players. Like what a tackle might do etc. Miss State had a very good Mike LB and from play one he was keying on the B-back. We were picking up some yards but not What CPJ wanted. He wanted to get a block on the LB. Now you would think he would find a way to get a Guard or Tackle to get there. Nope. He would have the play side A back Arc block on the LB and cut him at the knees, Our B backs started picking up 7 and 8 yards and of course Days 69 yard run. CPJ was of course the O coordinator.

Another example. 1984 against Alabama. Bama ran a few plays bringing a back on an offside misdirection, sort of a reverse. They got some yards on 2 plays. Lindsey, the D coordinator makes an adjustment and Bama ran the play 4 more times for a total of about 7 negative yards.

As for our current team, when you go three and out 4 times in a row with maybe 1 minute off the clock, we just don't have enough depth to hold on defense. Always been Techs issue.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
…reality, though

FIFY. At this point it’s time to judge the staff on wins and losses. He has three recruiting classes and a bunch of solid talent. If they win three games again then I think it’s fair to say they’re in over their heads. Some progress has to be made in the win column.
I agree for the most part. We need to show progress and that should ideally show itself in wins.

My thought is that most easily comes by way of simply not shooting ourselves in the foot. Let's get back to 2019 (Collins' first full season) when we were one of the least penalized teams in the country. Let's cut the turnovers. And let's look competent in the kicking game. While I think there were a variety of factors that allow some grace as to whether last year was a true reflection of his coaching prowess, I think he can be judged on those things without question this year.

Where I disagree and think you're being (hopefully unintentionally) shortsighted is the assessment of recruiting/talent and how that translates to the field. Outside of two months where he had to the opportunity to get a handful of recruits in his transition year, Collins has had two full classes. Gibbs and Sims were part of his first full recruiting class. They are Sophomores in non-Covid adjusted terms (which is arguably unfair, but I will concede for sake of still making the same point). The vast majority of his hand selected talent are redshirt frosh and true freshmen. The latter group hasn't participated in fall practice i.e., no college hitting yet. I would not want any coach to be judged by their performance of underclassmen.

The vast majority of contributions should be coming from upperclassmen i.e., guys he did not hand select. While there is some talent there, we still have holes at the most important positions (OL and defensive front 7), and the solution to those positions will unfortunately take some seasoning. Some of that might be augmented and accelerated via transfers, however few of those transfers have even played a snap in our system, and so it's unrealistic to expect that all will click day 1 when live shots are being fired from an opponent.

Bottom line, we can and need to look competent with the things we can control. I'm hopeful that we happen with a normal offseason.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The first 2 games should certainly give us insight --on the coaching .Against those teams the offense should be at least competent and maybe dominant.The def improved and coordinated (no long/easy TDs) if not strong. STs ready and steady.
We should gain confidence to at least be a real factor in the next 2 to get ready for the meat of the schedule.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
and we have been constantly reminded of it every time we log on :LOL:
In all fairness, Dino had a nightmare of a season. Syracuse does not get enough great players to afford injuries of any kind nor breakdowns on defense. They have to play almost perfect to win. Syracuse may be the most difficult place to win in the ACC because of recruiting limitations however, both Boston College and Pitt seem to get better players and they are in the northeast.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The first 2 games should certainly give us insight --on the coaching .Against those teams the offense should be at least competent and maybe dominant.The def improved and coordinated (no long/easy TDs) if not strong. STs ready and steady.
We should gain confidence to at least be a real factor in the next 2 to get ready for the meat of the schedule.
College Football News in their analysis claims that the pivotal game for the Jackets will be October 2nd (3rd?) anyway, the fifth game against Pitt. Their reasoning is that Tech will win the first two and be prohibitive underdogs the next two against Clemson and UNC thus the game against Pitt at home could be the one that decides how the season goes. God forbid, that we should lose one of the first two because then the Pitt game will be the least of Coach Collins' worries.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Game management involves knowing down and distance, time remaining, having the punt team ready. Study and planning involves film work, practice and a general plan that you might have to throw away 2 plays into the game.
Adjustments. A great example. 2014 Orange bowl. CPJ told me that studying film did not serve much purpose as most teams we played never played against an offense like his. He would use films to study trend of individual defensive players. Like what a tackle might do etc. Miss State had a very good Mike LB and from play one he was keying on the B-back. We were picking up some yards but not What CPJ wanted. He wanted to get a block on the LB. Now you would think he would find a way to get a Guard or Tackle to get there. Nope. He would have the play side A back Arc block on the LB and cut him at the knees, Our B backs started picking up 7 and 8 yards and of course Days 69 yard run. CPJ was of course the O coordinator.

Another example. 1984 against Alabama. Bama ran a few plays bringing a back on an offside misdirection, sort of a reverse. They got some yards on 2 plays. Lindsey, the D coordinator makes an adjustment and Bama ran the play 4 more times for a total of about 7 negative yards.

As for our current team, when you go three and out 4 times in a row with maybe 1 minute off the clock, we just don't have enough depth to hold on defense. Always been Techs issue.
CPJ was as good as any current coach at picking up specific trends and making adjustments. No question. Unfortunately rule makers basically outlawed the adjustment you referred to which made running his offense much more difficult. Rule makers were neutralizing his advantage over other team’s coaches. He decided it was time to resign from GT. We all are thankful to the highs he brought to the program. Highest in 50+ years. Now it’s time to let that era go regardless of how much you liked him.

The current staff has tried from day one to implement the scheme they want to run long term. Frankly all coaches do that, heck CPJ did that. Recall Gardner Webb 2098. Nothing wrong with that approach. There are often growing pains depending on how the players fit the schemes and what level of natural talent they had.

No question we are getting more players that fit this staff’s scheme. Based on HS recruiting they are more talented players than GT has recruited traditionally. Same for the transfers.

How this plays out is a work in progress. Regardless of all the “hot seat” comments CGC is here for at minimum 3-4 years. Time to accept that as reality.

GT’s real coaching challenge is finding the $$ to keep both Key and Choice. They are prime candidates for the big buck programs to come after with massive contracts. Love of your school only goes so far, money talks.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
wasn't expecting LSU,VT,USCw or Mich there.
I agree with CGC at "All good ... for now"
that would change with a 3 or 4 win season.
Agreed. And I think the bar for “All good … for now” should go up every season until it gets to a certain point. What made me just feel sad was seeing Oregon State with 9 combined wins over 3 seasons and a rating of either “Safe and Secure” or “All good … for now”. I hope we never find ourselves at that point as a program. I cut Coach Collins some slack for results the past 2 seasons due to transitions and COVID, but that doesn’t mean I was particularly happy with the record or that I don’t expect better going forward. If he wins 3 or fewer games this year, the pressure should at least be mounting, if not at a point of “Who’s getting fired this year, Geoff?”

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was as good as any current coach at picking up specific trends and making adjustments. No question. Unfortunately rule makers basically outlawed the adjustment you referred to which made running his offense much more difficult. Rule makers were neutralizing his advantage over other team’s coaches. He decided it was time to resign from GT. We all are thankful to the highs he brought to the program. Highest in 50+ years. Now it’s time to let that era go regardless of how much you liked him.

The current staff has tried from day one to implement the scheme they want to run long term. Frankly all coaches do that, heck CPJ did that. Recall Gardner Webb 2098. Nothing wrong with that approach. There are often growing pains depending on how the players fit the schemes and what level of natural talent they had.

No question we are getting more players that fit this staff’s scheme. Based on HS recruiting they are more talented players than GT has recruited traditionally. Same for the transfers.

How this plays out is a work in progress. Regardless of all the “hot seat” comments CGC is here for at minimum 3-4 years. Time to accept that as reality.

GT’s real coaching challenge is finding the $$ to keep both Key and Choice. They are prime candidates for the big buck programs to come after with massive contracts. Love of your school only goes so far, money talks.

I think Choice will stick around unless he gets offered an OC job somewhere. (like and OC job at a group of 5 school like maybe ga state or one of the teir 1 g5s like a ucf or somehting) Key probably jumps for nothing less than an OC job at a power5. OR a HC gig at a g5

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know about next year, but the only teams on our schedule that we should ever be underdogs to are Ugga, ND, Clemson, and maybe Miami. And hopefully none of them soon.