2021 ACC Baseball

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
#10 & #11. Miami dropped from #6 to 19 and got outscored something like 34-2 for the weekend.
BC and VTech dropped out on D1.
Vandy games were amazing vs SC. Kumar (Fri) and Leiter (Sat).....Holy Moly!
Alabama destroyed Ark friday night.

Chatter about whether Kumar and Leiter might be the top 2 picks in the draft. Hard to pick against Vandy in any series with those two guys pitching G1/G2.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
UVA up 4-1 B4. They woke up after a brutal play in the 2nd where a guy missed 1st base on an RBI double which was appealed, ruled out, wiped the run off the board, and ended the inning.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVA takes G3 over Pitt dropping the Panthers to a tie with us at 8-4 in ACC play.

Great game I watched the score a bit. When it was 4-4, Pitt had given up 3 unearned runs and UVa had given up 2 unearned runs. While our D is the worst in the ACC (by errors to date), others D suck too.

Glad to see UVa won 10-4. I don't think Pitt will continue this juggernaut, but I'm often wrong and it's one thing that makes college baseball fun. The ebb and flow of the team development.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Great game I watched the score a bit. When it was 4-4, Pitt had given up 3 unearned runs and UVa had given up 2 unearned runs. While our D is the worst in the ACC (by errors to date), others D suck too.

Glad to see UVa won 10-4. I don't think Pitt will continue this juggernaut, but I'm often wrong and it's one thing that makes college baseball fun. The ebb and flow of the team development.

The sun was wreaking havoc. UVAs error was a pop fly lost in the sun and believe it or not the Pitt error was an infield grounder lost in the sun. Think kicked up so high off the first bounce the SS just gave up.

Deleted member 2897

We're still looking good in ACC play. Louisville is 5-1 outside of the series with us and 15-5 overall. NC State looks bad on the surface at 1-8 in conference play, but they are 4-1 OOC. They've lost a few close ones in ACC play, and their opponents so far were us (swept), Louisville (swept), and Miami (lost 1-2 but lost 2 games by 2 runs losing both late.) Pitt still looks good, having won 3 road series already in ACC play.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I only listen to ACC part of this podcast (around 18:20 mark). They say ACC is "unsettled"... they may be right but remember these same guys were part of picking ND & PITT last in their respective divisions & NCST 2nd overall. Probably hard coming to terms with being that wrong. Regardless, they do agree the bottom of the ACC is very strong. So.. it sets up one of my favorite "fights" over how to determine BEST conference. I would say you have to look top to bottom... but many only compare top teams to top teams. Objectively... it's impossible to sort out... but fans keep arguing. & that's cool.

Deleted member 2897

I only listen to ACC part of this podcast (around 18:20 mark). They say ACC is "unsettled"... they may be right but remember these same guys were part of picking ND & PITT last in their respective divisions & NCST 2nd overall. Probably hard coming to terms with being that wrong. Regardless, they do agree the bottom of the ACC is very strong. So.. it sets up one of my favorite "fights" over how to determine BEST conference. I would say you have to look top to bottom... but many only compare top teams to top teams. Objectively... it's impossible to sort out... but fans keep arguing. & that's cool.

I think NC state won’t be anywhere near the bottom at the end. Their 3 series so far were us, Louisville and Miami (where they lost twice by a total of 4 runs late in the game).

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
ACC Weekend #5 action:
*Ga Tech (8-4) at *Duke (4-5): Go JACKETS!! Win 3... one at a time!
*Va Tech (6-6) at *Pitt (8-4): Go Hokies! Win exactly 2.
NC State (1-8) at *UNC (8-4): An NC State sweep would be good.
*Miami (5-6) at *UVA (3-9): Go Hoos! Win exactly 2.
Louisville (7-2) at ND (9-3): Two best records in the ACC (not sure its the 2 best teams)
Wake (2-6) at FSU (7-5): Go Deacs!
Clemson (3-6) at BC (3-6): Not sure I care on this one.

All intra-divisional play (6 games) this week except the rival series of NCST at UNC. I'm just pulling for a no teams (not named Ga Tech) to separate themselves at the top or bottom.

Looking ahead to post-season. I suspect the ACC can expect 8-11 teams to make the tournament. Of those, I would say 2 (stretch to 3) is the most that could get into top 8 (super-regional host) territory. I'm willing to say as many as 2-4 more could be in the #9-#16 range and hosting a regional. The path for Ga Tech is simply win series (sweeps help... but winning 2 game per weekend means you're outrunning everybody else...and Ga Tech right on that pace, right now. No easy chore; but it is the reason you hear the staff and players emphasize winning series.

Deleted member 2897

ACC Weekend #5 action:
*Ga Tech (8-4) at *Duke (4-5): Go JACKETS!! Win 3... one at a time!
*Va Tech (6-6) at *Pitt (8-4): Go Hokies! Win exactly 2.
NC State (1-8) at *UNC (8-4): An NC State sweep would be good.
*Miami (5-6) at *UVA (3-9): Go Hoos! Win exactly 2.
Louisville (7-2) at ND (9-3): Two best records in the ACC (not sure its the 2 best teams)
Wake (2-6) at FSU (7-5): Go Deacs!
Clemson (3-6) at BC (3-6): Not sure I care on this one.

All intra-divisional play (6 games) this week except the rival series of NCST at UNC. I'm just pulling for a no teams (not named Ga Tech) to separate themselves at the top or bottom.

Looking ahead to post-season. I suspect the ACC can expect 8-11 teams to make the tournament. Of those, I would say 2 (stretch to 3) is the most that could get into top 8 (super-regional host) territory. I'm willing to say as many as 2-4 more could be in the #9-#16 range and hosting a regional. The path for Ga Tech is simply win series (sweeps help... but winning 2 game per weekend means you're outrunning everybody else...and Ga Tech right on that pace, right now. No easy chore; but it is the reason you hear the staff and players emphasize winning series.

GT, Virginia Tech, and NC State did indeed win.

Of lesser importance, Miami, Louisville, FSU, and Clemson did too.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One of my favorite features on D1 Baseball is Sorensen Off The Top Of My Head. Here's his preamble this week. Life isn't fair, I just try and fix what I can and manage the rest.
1616846219565.png

And for all you who like to complain about the SEC being over rated, here's some ammunition:
1616845807675.png

Attachments

• 1616845934986.png
    1616845934986.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 17

Deleted member 2897

One of my favorite features on D1 Baseball is Sorensen Off The Top Of My Head. Here's his preamble this week. Life isn't fair, I just try and fix what I can and manage the rest.
View attachment 10230

And for all you who like to complain about the SEC being over rated, here's some ammunition:
View attachment 10228

Ive brought up their high rankings, which implies I’m pointing out they’re overrated. I have a hard time believing all top 5 can be from the same conference. But the SEC is really really good at baseball. Thanks for sharing this though - it puts some meat behind the point that the rankings are a bit silly. Top team has a +100 SOS? They’re the Colgate version of high ratings.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Early results from today:

UVA over #19 Miami 4-0
Clemson beat BC 9-3
Wake over #17 FSU 8-7
#14 Notre Dame beat #7 Louisville 5-3

NC State up on #24 UNC 6-1, suspended in the 8th.
VT beating Pitt 7-1 top 9
Lots of helpful outcomes. Beat Duke tonight & we win race to 10 wins in Coastal. Let US GO!! LET'S GO!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
GREENSBORO, N.C. – Georgia Tech baseball redshirt junior RHP Andy Archer was named ACC Pitcher of the Week after helping the Yellow Jackets shut out Duke on the road en route to another series win, the league announced Monday.

Archer pitched an absolute gem on a career night that saw him outduel Duke’s Henry Williams for a 3-0 Yellow Jackets victory and his fourth-straight winning decision. Archer tossed a career-long 8.0 innings on 109 pitches, surrendering just six hits and striking out a career-high-tying nine hitters – including four straight in the late stages of the game.

The Duluth, Ga. native was ultra-efficient all night, facing just one full count and holding the Blue Devils to just three runners in scoring position all game. Archer has now worked 18-straight innings of scoreless work, dating back to March 13, and has struck out 17 over his last two starts. He currently sports the second-best ERA in the ACC at 1.82 and co-leads the conference with a 4-1 record in six starts on the year.