Atlantic
Louisville
NC State
Wake Forest
Florida State
Boston College
Clemson
Notre Dame

They consider Louisville the class of the league... with a "jumbled group" behind them and no clear cut separation:
NC State, Ga Tech, Virginia, Wake Forest, Miami, FSU

Projecting 10 teams to make the post-season:
Louisville, NC State, Ga Tech, Virginia, Wake Forest, Miami, FSU, Duke, BC, Clemson

"Keep an Eye On": UNC, Va Tech, Notre Dame
"Rest of the Pack": Pittsburgh

D1 is very high on the ACC. They agree with what many here have already said... covid has created a 'stacked' pool of talent across the league:

The ACC has never been more loaded with legitimate postseason contenders. In fact, all 14 teams in the conference appear to have regional-caliber rosters — in any other year. The shortened five-round draft caused a boatload of established ACC stars to return as fourth-year players, leading to perhaps the strongest collection of position-player talent in the history of the league. Another bumper crop of freshmen across the league further boosted the talent level, as Miami brought in the No. 1 recruiting class in the country, leading a pack of six ACC programs in the Top 25 of our newcomer rankings, with four others knocking on the door. Needless to say, the future looks bright for the ACC, and the present is awfully exciting.

https://d1baseball.com/season-preview/2021-acc-preview-deeper-than-ever/

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
D1 Baseball put out their ACC preview. Some highlights:

Projected Division Finish:

Coastal
Ga Tech
Virginia
Miami
Duke
North Carolina
Va Tech
Pittsburgh

Atlantic
Louisville
NC State
Wake Forest
Florida State
Boston College
Clemson
Notre Dame

They consider Louisville the class of the league... with a "jumbled group" behind them and no clear cut separation:
NC State, Ga Tech, Virginia, Wake Forest, Miami, FSU

Projecting 10 teams to make the post-season:
Louisville, NC State, Ga Tech, Virginia, Wake Forest, Miami, FSU, Duke, BC, Clemson

"Keep an Eye On": UNC, Va Tech, Notre Dame
"Rest of the Pack": Pittsburgh

D1 is very high on the ACC. They agree with what many here have already said... covid has created a 'stacked' pool of talent across the league:

The ACC has never been more loaded with legitimate postseason contenders. In fact, all 14 teams in the conference appear to have regional-caliber rosters — in any other year. The shortened five-round draft caused a boatload of established ACC stars to return as fourth-year players, leading to perhaps the strongest collection of position-player talent in the history of the league. Another bumper crop of freshmen across the league further boosted the talent level, as Miami brought in the No. 1 recruiting class in the country, leading a pack of six ACC programs in the Top 25 of our newcomer rankings, with four others knocking on the door. Needless to say, the future looks bright for the ACC, and the present is awfully exciting.

https://d1baseball.com/season-preview/2021-acc-preview-deeper-than-ever/

D1 is high on everyone they can be. D1 just called the SEC the mightiest conference getting even mightier. I'm not complaining, they need to keep as many people happy and reading as possible. What is important (to me) is that out of all ACC teams they nominally guessed we'd be third.

But I've learned that pre-season rankings don't matter. You have to win. (Thank God or uGag would have won a few football championships.)

Reading the article and data, the only thing I was intrigued by was D1 saying that John Anderson would be the 25th top impact freshman in the entire ACC. But they don't have in our starting lineup in their projections. I don't see him taking over Luke at 2nd, so where? DH is jammed already.

I'm not saying Anderson isn't talented, but where does he play?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Are you asking about Anderson playing SS (over Waddell) or playing 2nd (over Wilhite/Jackson)?

Yes, I guess over Wilhite / Jackson at 2nd. Senior moment remembering Waddell at 2nd.

Point still is, how can a player be an impact player if he isn't on the field?

14 days and 22 hours, not that I'm checking!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I guess over Wilhite / Jackson at 2nd. Senior moment remembering Waddell at 2nd.

Point still is, how can a player be an impact player if he isn't on the field?

14 days and 22 hours, not that I'm checking!
I don't know. But rarely is there zero surprises on who makes makes an impact or playing time. Yep. Can't wait. Looking forward to a fun season.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Haven't read this yet; but maybe a good thing we miss BC this year. On the other hand... BC & Omaha in same headline? Does not compute.

I don’t see it in BC. They’ve got talent at the plate, but I don’t see how they would have the pitching depth to be legitimate contenders.

For the most part I think the coaches got it right here. If I was voting I think I’d have Tech and UVA, along with BC and Wake swapped.

I think Tech is as talented as anybody in the conference, and in the country for that matter. But we’re still pretty unproven, and one of our biggest pieces in Hurter hasn’t thrown a competitive pitch in almost 2 years. I think the ACC will be extremely competitive from top-to-bottom this year. 24-12 might win the regular season title this year.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Always seeking advantages... both real & perceived. Is this a big deal? ...something that'll hurt Duke... late loss/turnover of pitching coach.

Could be a big deal, could be a nothing burger depending on how good of a coach his replacement is. Obviously getting hired by a big league club means Blake was good at his job, but Gordon is experienced and has been around Blake enough to absorb enough tools of the trade to be an adequate replacement.

Replacing a coach can also be helpful to a team. In spring of 2019 when Ramsey and Jaffe were brought in to replace Patterson and Nickeas, they brought with them a new energy and revitalized the program.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
There are 9 ACC teams in action "midweek"... 8 of them today. Ga Tech v Mercer... is the lone game tomorrow.

Intriguing to me...
Duke at ECU
EKU at Louisville