2021 ACC and Competition News

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
you are admitting you get overly emotional and overly negative thank you. Georgia tech fans need to realize the BEST Georgia Tech team in 2 decades should have lost to Georgia Southern lol.
“Should have lost?” Not sure what that means. When I saw how Tech willed itself to overcome every adversity to win that came I predicted they would go to a major bowl. Winning those kinds of games is what champions do.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with much of this but there is one part that I just can’t buy, that is, that SEC teams that didn’t win their division are somehow more deserving than other teams that won their conference. No way. Teams need to earn their way on the field, not because of some arbitrary decision that one conference is more deserving than another.

Think of baseball playoffs. Many years the Yankees or the Red Sox didn’t make the World Series because they failed to win their division. It did not matter that they may have had one of the best records in baseball or that pundits thought they could beat anyone in the National League. They failed to win on the field when it counted. That might suck for fans of those teams but that is the nature of sports.

Conferences either mean something or they don’t. Winning your conference either means something or it doesn’t. I most definitely favor a playoff weighted toward rewarding conference champions as opposed to one based on a popularity contest or how much the fans love a particular team.
I hear you. But please don’t put words in my mouth about the SEC. You brought them up in one of your earlier posts first then I commented. It could easily be Ohio St. #1 and Penn St. #2 in a few years. Or Clemson and GT (ha). I don’t care about the teams but that common sense is used rather than an arbitrary “conference champ” argument. Im glad to use the conf champ argument when it’s expanded. That’s why I find it funny that this alliance was formed to stop the SEC. What will the alliance do when the SEC drops and the BIG has Ohio St, Michigan, and Iowa all ranked the top 5? Will they stop the best teams from getting in the playoff and give the weaker SEC a team or two? That’s why I say there isn’t really an alliance. It will change the minute the paradigm shifts.

As to your example, why do you think baseball changed their playoff format? The public was tired of seeing sorrier teams get in over better teams just because they were in a weak division. Baseball also realized it was bad for business to have 80% of your teams eliminated by the half way mark. Look how many teams were still alive the last 2 weeks of this season with the expanded playoffs. I believe we’ll see a playoff number of some sort (NCAA or other entity) in the 20’s. That gives all conference champs an auto birth and higher seed for round 1 home games, and still allows 2-3 loss teams a chance to make the field which keeps interest up. Let’s face reality - college football is quickly becoming a regional sport with large swaths of this country tuning out. It’s a southern and Midwest sport today. Like baseball has shown, you breathe life into a sport by giving fanbases the most important thing in the world - hope. Think about Wake Forest right now. They are having their greatest season in decades yet they have absolutely zero chance of making the playoffs. None, nada, zilch. You’ll say if they win their conference they’d get in an 8 team playoff. Fine. But what were to happen if Clemson was normal and Wake went 11-1. They wouldn’t get in. College football is the only major sport that leaves money and hope on the table.

I would think of any fan base in the country that the GT fan base would be for a big playoff more than anyone. It’s as if people don’t realize we only shared a Natty because of a single vote in the UPI poll (847 to 846). That means if 1 coach or grad assistant filled out the form differently that we would have lost a Natty to a 1 loss, 5th down team all because the western press voted for Colorado and a lot of the SEC footprint press didn’t want to vote for GT either. Then add our run in 2014 when you can’t convince me we wouldn’t have made a run in a playoff that year as we were rolling.

I know my opinion means nothing but as a fan of a team firmly planted in the mediocre 50% I want a big playoff to give me hope for those 1 of 10 years we are very good. But the good news for me is that money talks and the playoffs will expand way beyond 8 within the next 15 years. I’m still shocked we got the BCS after 80 years of back door dealing between the big coaches and press. How interesting would those phone tapes be if they existed between media members and Bryant, Dodd, Hayes,Leahy, Wilkinson, Osbourne, etc.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Man, you are really buying this stuff. There has always been an alliance and at the same time there has never been an alliance. What you are talking about is schools coming together for a current common issue. But that’s the rub. Today’s current common issue won’t be tomorrow’s current common issue. Money always will cause partners to change. Texas and Oklahoma hated the SEC and were “allianced” against the SEC until they weren’t. And you keep talking about the SEC ”stacking” a playoff. Since when has the SEC ever had that power? Its a false argument. And it makes your view look horrible that you believe a lesser team should get a spot over a better team just because they are a “conference champ”. The public knows who the best teams are and creating a system like you want won’t have public support.

The fans want an expanded playoff which is why it will happen no matter what the high horsed out of touch college administrators think. And the networks want an expanded playoff. It’s almost like some of you forgot what happened last year. The entire college football season was on the verge of being shutdown by these same schools who are this ”alliance”. The SEC led the way to tell them to shove it because they read the public sentiment properly. The ACC quickly came on board for the same reason. The BIG came around after they saw the money they would lose.

It will take years as we all know but its inevitable it will expand way beyond 8. Money always wins. My personal conspiracy belief is that we aren’t too far away from teams leaving the NCAA. The SEC doesn’t need the NCAA nor do the other big money football teams. And when it happens the other big boys looking for money will follow just like they did last year. Not only will it impact football but also hoops and baseball. The other sports will go the way of the dinosaurs.
Who decides who's the better team and who's the lesser team? Oh, you mean the whole hype machine that is the SEC? Right, because ESPN doesn't want to get as many SEC teams into a playoff as they can. I understand what you're saying. I don't disagree with everything you're saying. But, what I am saying is that the other 4 conferences are not going to let the SEC get 4-5 teams in an 8 or 12 team playoff. They're not going to let that happen. I don't believe that and nothing you can say will change my opinion on that. Financially, it's not in the interest of the other conferences to allow it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I hear you. But please don’t put words in my mouth about the SEC. You brought them up in one of your earlier posts first then I commented. It could easily be Ohio St. #1 and Penn St. #2 in a few years. Or Clemson and GT (ha). I don’t care about the teams but that common sense is used rather than an arbitrary “conference champ” argument. Im glad to use the conf champ argument when it’s expanded. That’s why I find it funny that this alliance was formed to stop the SEC. What will the alliance do when the SEC drops and the BIG has Ohio St, Michigan, and Iowa all ranked the top 5? Will they stop the best teams from getting in the playoff and give the weaker SEC a team or two? That’s why I say there isn’t really an alliance. It will change the minute the paradigm shifts.

As to your example, why do you think baseball changed their playoff format? The public was tired of seeing sorrier teams get in over better teams just because they were in a weak division. Baseball also realized it was bad for business to have 80% of your teams eliminated by the half way mark. Look how many teams were still alive the last 2 weeks of this season with the expanded playoffs. I believe we’ll see a playoff number of some sort (NCAA or other entity) in the 20’s. That gives all conference champs an auto birth and higher seed for round 1 home games, and still allows 2-3 loss teams a chance to make the field which keeps interest up. Let’s face reality - college football is quickly becoming a regional sport with large swaths of this country tuning out. It’s a southern and Midwest sport today. Like baseball has shown, you breathe life into a sport by giving fanbases the most important thing in the world - hope. Think about Wake Forest right now. They are having their greatest season in decades yet they have absolutely zero chance of making the playoffs. None, nada, zilch. You’ll say if they win their conference they’d get in an 8 team playoff. Fine. But what were to happen if Clemson was normal and Wake went 11-1. They wouldn’t get in. College football is the only major sport that leaves money and hope on the table.

I would think of any fan base in the country that the GT fan base would be for a big playoff more than anyone. It’s as if people don’t realize we only shared a Natty because of a single vote in the UPI poll (847 to 846). That means if 1 coach or grad assistant filled out the form differently that we would have lost a Natty to a 1 loss, 5th down team all because the western press voted for Colorado and a lot of the SEC footprint press didn’t want to vote for GT either. Then add our run in 2014 when you can’t convince me we wouldn’t have made a run in a playoff that year as we were rolling.

I know my opinion means nothing but as a fan of a team firmly planted in the mediocre 50% I want a big playoff to give me hope for those 1 of 10 years we are very good. But the good news for me is that money talks and the playoffs will expand way beyond 8 within the next 15 years. I’m still shocked we got the BCS after 80 years of back door dealing between the big coaches and press. How interesting would those phone tapes be if they existed between media members and Bryant, Dodd, Hayes,Leahy, Wilkinson, Osbourne, etc.
Who decides who is the "best" teams? The subjective voters? Many of whom never watch the games? If you're going to have conferences and conference champions, then make it mean something.

Also, if you look at MLB, the 2nd best record in the NL had to win a 1 game playoff to make the NLDS against SF. That team had a 15 game lead over both of the other division leaders. Is it fair for SF/LA to play and ATL/MIL play for the NLCS? Winning your division (conference) means something.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I think you may be confusing me with some other poster. I haven’t really participated in the debate you were having. I just can’t stand the SEC hype machine picking playoff teams over conference champions. Right now the B1G has five teams potentially eligible for a playoff compared to two for the SEC. If that holds to the end of the season I would not want 3 B1G teams in the playoffs and 1 SEC team. I would rather have 4 conference champions -all else being equall.

Baseball expanded the playoffs for money. That’s the only reason. It’s dubious to argue that this made the playoffs better. It certainly made them longer.

I honestly think the college football playoffs should be expanded but I still prefer that results on the field through conference championships and limited at large berths is the key to eliminating the politics that has influenced past playoff picks.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
No D’Eric King for Miami for the rest of the season:

That's too bad for the King guy. I was surprised to learn he's like 24 or something already. I hope he gets healthy enough to take his shot in the league.

All I wanna know is does this increase or decrease the odds we see Man-E in the sexy receiver gloves by the time we play?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As to your example, why do you think baseball changed their playoff format? The public was tired of seeing sorrier teams get in over better teams just because they were in a weak division.

That's some revisionist history. Baseball added wildcards and split the divisions in 1994, implemented in 1995 due to the strike, because they had expanded and added more teams to MLB. The idea was to create more revenue and had nothing to do with sorry teams winning divisions. The problems with weak divisions began AFTER the wild card was implemented, so in 2012 they added a second team and a playin game to fix the problem they created.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting odds for this weekend's ACC slate:
  • Duke @ Virginia (-11) --- (read, we will be underdogs in Charlottesville)
  • Pitt (-5.5) @ VT
  • Miami @ North Carolina (-6.5)
  • NC State (-3) @ Boston College
  • Clemson (-14) @ Syracuse