2021 ACC and Competition News

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That was a hell of a final play. Another impressive loss by FSU, how you don't have more guys deep though knowing it is the last play of the game is beyond me, the WR got by the DB way too easily to catch that in stride.

As far as the ACC I would agree that I would move ND from an automatic loss to an underdog status.
But other teams on our schedule look tougher to me than they did 2 weeks ago.

VT looks like a much tougher game, UVA also looks solid early in the season. Pitt is also looking better than i expected. I'm worried about our pass defense against them.

UNC does not look quite as strong as I thought they might but their loss is a 7 pt road loss to an ACC opponent. They beat the snot out of Ga St yesterday, as they should have.

There are some wins possible, we could still get to 5-6 wins for the season, but we have to keep improving to have that chance.

Clemson looks not nearly as good on offense as the last few years, but defensively I think they are one of the 3 best defensive teams in the country with AL and UGA. They haven't given up an offensive touchdown this year yet. Scoring one TD against them next week would be a win, i'm pretty concerned what our offense will look like against them next week given how poorly our OL has played so far.

slugboy

Staff member
Season ending injuries around the conference this weekend:

Not ACC, but while I'm here: Clay Helton has been fired at USC (So Cal).

We're out of the totally fake ACC power rankings basement:

Well, just dang this is low:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Who that witnessed fsu back in their glory years would ever have thought They could possibly sink this low in the next millennium? And why couldn’t this please happen to uga?

That's why coaching hires and ADs are so important.

As much as some on here were ready to move on from CPJ during the Bobinski years (not going to lie, I was almost there), imagine Bobinski making a terrible hire and GT having to pay that coach out. Instead, CPJ had one of the best seasons in GT history, forced Bobinski to extend him...and Bobinski soon realized his way was not working and tucked his tail and ran off to Purdue. CPJ graciously stepped down a few years later without saddling GT with a buyout. That allowed TStan to give CGC more money to build a staff and support system. The jury is still out for the on the field product, the off the field product (recruiting, marketing, social media, etc.) has been really good.

Make fun of UGA, but they've made good hires that have lasted and did well. We hate UGA, but that's something GT can learn from.

FSU...well, they're a case of making it rich and squandering it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That's why coaching hires and ADs are so important.

As much as some on here were ready to move on from CPJ during the Bobinski years (not going to lie, I was almost there), imagine Bobinski making a terrible hire and GT having to pay that coach out. Instead, CPJ had one of the best seasons in GT history, forced Bobinski to extend him...and Bobinski soon realized his way was not working and tucked his tail and ran off to Purdue. CPJ graciously stepped down a few years later without saddling GT with a buyout. That allowed TStan to give CGC more money to build a staff and support system. The jury is still out for the on the field product, the off the field product (recruiting, marketing, social media, etc.) has been really good.

Make fun of UGA, but they've made good hires that have lasted and did well. We hate UGA, but that's something GT can learn from.

FSU...well, they're a case of making it rich and squandering it.
Since you mentioned uga, it’s interesting that they have never made a bad coaching hire going all the way back to Wally Butts. That’s over 70 years of good coaching hires.

Now, some on here will point out that they did have two mediocre coaches. Mediocre by Georgia standards meant still having winning records but not being in the hunt for a national championship. They got rid of those mediocre (but winning) coaches even when there was no guarantee they could upgrade.

Tech during that time perhaps made a few bad coaching hires but many of these same coaches would have had much better records at schools like Georgia or schools with more resources. Carson, Rodgers and Curry come to mind.

Has always felt like, whether on the football field, or in the hiring of coaches and ADs that all the planets have to align just right for Tech to have success.

One of our mods gave a brilliant assessment of the dysfunction at FSU but Miami is even more puzzling. Miami has had periodic strong years as a team going back to the early 60s. One would have thought that after 4 national championships with three different coaches they finally knew the formula for hiring the right guy. They certainly sit in one of the most football talent rich regions of the country so you would think they would at least have Georgia levels of “mediocre success.”

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it comes down to head coaches AND coordinators. Having deep pockets and being able to spend big dollars of coordinators give you a much better chance for success. Miami is a smaller school, plays at a stadium 20+ miles from Campus and suffers lower revenue from the ACC conference. I would guess their revenue is well below the biggest programs but harder to find out as Miami is a private school. Obviously money alone doesn't make you successful. But having money to spend on your staff and not just the head coach makes a difference. I think the revenue gap has really widened in the last 10 years and it is making it much more difficult for most programs to compete at the top.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
The looks on the cheerleader's faces are priceless.

FSULoss.png