2021 ACC and Competition News

slugboy

Staff member
Louisville down a touted QB:

TA&M gets TWO 5* decommits from UGA. They’re still loaded though.

GT is heavy in the transfer portal, but not an outlier by any means

We aren’t getting many wins against Clemson, but who is?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GT has gotten more highly rated transfers in the past couple of cycles than I can remember. I think going forward, this has to be a part of our strategy. Getting these highly-rated Georgia recruits to come back home.

It's what our bball staff has done. Get the highly ranked guys the second time around is not a bad strategy. There's plenty of high level talent that blossoms later in their careers. The transfer portal is definitely now a MAJOR recruiting pool that coaches have to consider.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
If you are going to count the regular season win in 2009 you have to count the championship

In my opinion Hale is just one more journalist who has little to no analytical ability. Which is most of them.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's what our bball staff has done. Get the highly ranked guys the second time around is not a bad strategy. There's plenty of high level talent that blossoms later in their careers. The transfer portal is definitely now a MAJOR recruiting pool that coaches have to consider.
Problem = our most highly rated BB player in the last few years - Wright - had a grand total of 1 (one) offer. The one from Tech.

Transfers might be a way for us to make way with our FB recruiting. But … as I've said before, the reason these young men are transferring is that they got beat out at the school of their choice. They might prove a Godsend; they might not. We'll have to see.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Problem = our most highly rated BB player in the last few years - Wright - had a grand total of 1 (one) offer. The one from Tech.

Transfers might be a way for us to make way with our FB recruiting. But … as I've said before, the reason these young men are transferring is that they got beat out at the school of their choice. They might prove a Godsend; they might not. We'll have to see.

I get what you're saying. I think our #1 focus for recruiting will be guys out of HS we can develop with a high upside, but compliment that strategy with select guys in the portal.

When you can get guys like Parham, Sturdivant, Usher, and Smith from the portal that's a good thing. Either Sturdivant or Smith project to be our starting PG, and Usher projects to be our 2nd leading scorer after Devoe. We also got Banks from the portal and he was All ACC for 2 years. Those are impactful players that brought a LOT of value to our program regardless of their standing at their previous stops.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My bad. Wright had tentative offers from Kansas and Texas. They were late, but he had them.

I also think it is easier to get really good players through transfers In BB. I think if we are going to build a football program, I think it has to be with recruits, not transfers. But here I'm speculating; it's too early to tell how football transfers will affect programs.

Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
My bad. Wright had tentative offers from Kansas and Texas. They were late, but he had them.

I also think it is easier to get really good players through transfers In BB. I think if we are going to build a football program, I think it has to be with recruits, not transfers. But here I'm speculating; it's too early to tell how football transfers will affect programs.
Tashard Choice.
A successful transfer to GT who was not going to be the guy at Oklahoma.
Arguably our best recruiter on staff today.

Last year we took a large number of transfers, but that was far outweighed by the number of HS recruits.

Yes, we can and should do both.