2020 Player thoughts and impressions

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have been beating the drum about talent deficiencies, too. But you have to recognize the potential in some of these guys. A bunch of players will move on, but the others will have to be bridge guys until the Collins recruits are fully in.
The question is which ones will move on and how many. 82 on scholarship and 11 seniors and CGC wants to sign 25 those numbers add and subtract to get 85.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Remember you are only see him on high school tapes. You have seen Mason and Griffin going against teams we play. Hard to judge on high school tapes.

...i mean yeah. That’s the nature of recruiting. You see them play against HS. :LOL:

Gibbs’s tape reminds me of Tuitt’s film before he blew up. Where one of the first few plays was him chasing down a RB from behind at 270 lbs and you think “this guy is one of the best in the country” and then he ended up a 5*. Assuming he signs Gibbs is gonna end up being the highest rated RB recruit we’ve gotten since they started publicly rating them. The only film that comes close to comparing since I started following Tech in ‘05 is Dwyer’s. Different running styles but the same “wow, this guy is on another level.”

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
...i mean yeah. That’s the nature of recruiting. You see them play against HS. :LOL:

Gibbs’s tape reminds me of Tuitt’s film before he blew up. Where one of the first few plays was him chasing down a RB from behind at 270 lbs and you think “this guy is one of the best in the country” and then he ended up a 5*. Assuming he signs Gibbs is gonna end up being the highest rated RB recruit we’ve gotten since they started publicly rating them. The only film that comes close to comparing since I started following Tech in ‘05 is Dwyer’s. Different running styles but the same “wow, this guy is on another level.”

Why does everything have to be hyperbole? His tape looks very good. Jonathan Dwyer and Rashaun Grant were both publicly rated top 100 overall players in their classes, higher than Gibbs. This thread wasn’t about a nice looking player that hasn’t even signed yet. It’s about what we already have. We know Mason and Griffin are beasts at the college level.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Why does everything have to be hyperbole? His tape looks very good. Jonathan Dwyer and Rashaun Grant were both publicly rated top 100 overall players in their classes, higher than Gibbs. This thread wasn’t about a nice looking player that hasn’t even signed yet. It’s about what we already have. We know Mason and Griffin are beasts at the college level.

It’s not hyperbole. Rivals hasnt re-rated him yet. He’ll be a Top 10 RB composite after they do.

Thread was about 2020 players and Gibbs might be one of those. You’re the one calling Griffin (92 yards, 3.0 ypc) a beast solely off his HS film/rating. Because we’ve hardly seen him this year.

All I’m trying to say is our RB depth chart should be very crowded assuming Gibbs signs. Great problem to have. I’d bet on Gibbs getting the lion share by 2021. Which is saying something given how hard Mason has run this year.

Probably the 2nd best position group entering 2020 behind DBs which will be absurdly ahead of every other group on the team.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Jamious Griffin is more than a change of pace, he’s a future featured RB.
I think there's a good chance that this is true. However, he hasn't exactly torn up the pea patch this year. I would have used Howard for the #2 back instead and redshirted Jamious. He could have used the extra year.

Still, he is a back who needs a hole. He's right good when he gets one, but he hasn't shown the ability to make one this year. Better OL play = better Griffin, imho.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I see evidence of coaching up quite a lot of guys. You can see Key's influence on the OL, Choice's influence at RB, Dixon at WR, to name a few. The players are LEARNING and APPLYING good coaching, because I think they believe in CGC and his staff. They exhibit a positive vibe. Like I said several times in years past , the team eventually reflects the personality of the HC and staff. I have seen more proof of that in 11 games this year than I saw in the last 4 years or so.
IMO, next year they will get about 3 more wins and possibly go to an obscure bowl. But in 2021 we should challenge for the division.
I agree wholeheartedly with the positive vibe part!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I see evidence of coaching up quite a lot of guys. You can see Key's influence on the OL, Choice's influence at RB, Dixon at WR, to name a few. The players are LEARNING and APPLYING good coaching, because I think they believe in CGC and his staff. They exhibit a positive vibe. Like I said several times in years past , the team eventually reflects the personality of the HC and staff. I have seen more proof of that in 11 games this year than I saw in the last 4 years or so.
IMO, next year they will get about 3 more wins and possibly go to an obscure bowl. But in 2021 we should challenge for the division.
I would love to see them come out and score 40+ on GW in the opener. Then play UCF close and hopefully come out with a win in front of a full-ish BDS. Coming out of the gate 2-0 for the first time since 2016 might be enough of a confidence boost to make some noise in the Coastal. I’ve said I think next season could be 2008esque, but 2021 is what I’m looking forward to. If GT isn’t even in the mix for the Coastal by then I’ll be angsty.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
He posted the worst team in 25 years when it’s not.
Nah, I don't think it is the worst team in 25 years but that is only because a season in which we beat Miami can't be all bad. Its pretty bad though when you lose to the Citadel and can't even score against Virginia Tech breaking a record for scoring that went all the way back to the late 1950s. A long, hard, road faces Coach Collins and his staff because next year promises to be even more challenging. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see them come out and score 40+ on GW in the opener. Then play UCF close and hopefully come out with a win in front of a full-ish BDS. Coming out of the gate 2-0 for the first time since 2016 might be enough of a confidence boost to make some noise in the Coastal. I’ve said I think next season could be 2008esque, but 2021 is what I’m looking forward to. If GT isn’t even in the mix for the Coastal by then I’ll be angsty.

I hate to say it but in view of what lies after the first two games, a 2-0 start is critical for this team's confidence but we will worry about that after the Dwags and recruiting is over.

DAVID F

Georgia Tech Fan
Note, Gardner Webb will not be the opening game unless Tech gets a by opening week end. We will start with a conference game.

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
Note, Gardner Webb will not be the opening game unless Tech gets a by opening week end. We will start with a conference game.

Yes. At this point, our only opponents without a week 1 opponent are Clemson and Syracuse. So all signs are to us either opening at home vs Clemson or on the road at Syracuse.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Awfully glowing reviews for our worst team in 25 years. Reality is that we have a long way to go at nearly every position. Outside of 3 and 10 nobody has really played at a high level. A few other guys have been solid but I wouldn’t consider great, 2, 6 and 27. Just my honest assessment

Roster and ATL chart will look entirely different next year.

Mason is only solid? Sheesh I’d like to see a RB that impresses you.