2020 Offseason Thread

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
We all know that right now today Collins is an unknown commodity as a head coach. But so far in every category outside wins/losses he has been a success so the pattern is that he will be a success. He’s the type of guy GT needed right now. If we would have brought in another older retread he would have quickly been dumped on by the fans because no way was any coach going to be an equal to Johnson out of the shoot. Collins has played this perfectly in my opinion, as has TStan. The old saying is you never want to be the first guy replacing a legend type coach. And for GT, Johnson was that kind of coach until he got old fast. Collins knows this. So he is letting the fan base feel the pain of a couple of tough seasons so when we get to the 6-8 win range everyone will be a little happier. Then between the constant drumbeat of recruiting and additional wins we’ll be back to the O’Leary years with legit QB play and a big strong team. I’m not saying he’s losing on purpose but I’m also saying he didn’t lose any sleep about last season nor will he about this upcoming season. The players know what’s up which is why coming off a 3 win season the recruiting is still hot.
I think that is what rubbed a lot of people the wrong way last year, myself not included. Collins is always upbeat and often has a smile on his face, even when we were gettin drilled by Vt at home. Wether we wanted to admit it or not, the transition was and is a real thing. We are making crazy big strides right now in recruiting, culture etc and it’s something the fanbase should be fired up about. The turf, sound system, lighting, uniforms, it’s not traditional and it’s not something that will make everyone happy or comfortable, but it’s progress and it attracts recruits. It gives our staff more to “sell” to recruits and that an advantage whether fans like it or not. I would hope that we could all agree that putting a winning product on the field is the goal. Seems to me that we are doing it the right way, with a great staff and that’s exciting.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I think that is what rubbed a lot of people the wrong way last year, myself not included. Collins is always upbeat and often has a smile on his face, even when we were gettin drilled by Vt at home. Wether we wanted to admit it or not, the transition was and is a real thing. We are making crazy big strides right now in recruiting, culture etc and it’s something the fanbase should be fired up about. The turf, sound system, lighting, uniforms, it’s not traditional and it’s not something that will make everyone happy or comfortable, but it’s progress and it attracts recruits. It gives our staff more to “sell” to recruits and that an advantage whether fans like it or not. I would hope that we could all agree that putting a winning product on the field is the goal. Seems to me that we are doing it the right way, with a great staff and that’s exciting.
This might be one of the best synopses of Collins and the direction of GT football I’ve read on this board. There’s basically 2 ways to succeed in college sports: 1) throw ungodly amounts of money at the program, or 2) innovate and be different than anyone else.

Well, Tech doesn’t have the resources for option 1, so that only leaves option 2. Going to CPJ and the actual option in ‘08 proved to be reasonably successful, but fell short in its attempt to redirect the program. Now, PJ didn’t have access to the resources that have been allotted to CGC so far, but it appears the GTAA have learned from those shortcomings, and are at least trying to help CGC succeed with his plan.

It doesn’t look like Tech will ever have enough money to go all in on option 1, so the only way to get back into the conversation of a big time athletic department we have to go all in on option 2. That’s going to require change, and some decisions the more traditional fan base won’t like, but it’s the only option if the goal is to be a national athletic power. I’m very pleased with the direction the GT athletic department is trending and hope like hell its going to work out in the long run.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sorry if you only win 3 games you should lose some sleep. I don't think losing is something he wants to make us feel better in a couple of years . No coach wants to lose .

Obviously I disagree. None of last season is on Collins and not one GT fan should lose a minute of sleep over it. The fact of the matter is GT football threw away any chance at relevance because our head coach had no QB ready to go after Justin Thomas was done. In a blink of the eye we lost 3 seasons with no growth for the future. Collins 3 win season has led to more growth for the football program than what Johnson’s Orange bowl season did. We have QB’s lined up to play for us. We have a stable of RB’s that other teams actually wanted. We are building towards the future in every way possible. We will get blasted a few times this season and the weekend only fans will freak out and I’ll be enjoying every minute of it. Because I know once this team is full of this staffs players we will be the ones doing the blasting. And it will be WAY more consistent and predictable than what this generation is use to. It will be the O’Leary years again where we show up as a tough out every week.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree with your basic conclusion but there is more to winning at the P5 level than just recruiting. That's where it starts. Now let's see some game management.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Obviously I disagree. None of last season is on Collins and not one GT fan should lose a minute of sleep over it. The fact of the matter is GT football threw away any chance at relevance because our head coach had no QB ready to go after Justin Thomas was done. In a blink of the eye we lost 3 seasons with no growth for the future. Collins 3 win season has led to more growth for the football program than what Johnson’s Orange bowl season did. We have QB’s lined up to play for us. We have a stable of RB’s that other teams actually wanted. We are building towards the future in every way possible. We will get blasted a few times this season and the weekend only fans will freak out and I’ll be enjoying every minute of it. Because I know once this team is full of this staffs players we will be the ones doing the blasting. And it will be WAY more consistent and predictable than what this generation is use to. It will be the O’Leary years again where we show up as a tough out every week.
To each his own , I hate losing I like CGC but have to question lot of play calling on offense last year. And as far as O'Leary I would hope CGC will not leave like he did. And I didn't see O'Leary being a players coach .

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting is exactly where it starts. I’ve said many times Collins is right now an unproven head coach. But recruiting leads to wins. We tried it the other way and the consistency wasn’t there and ended with a fizzle. As for play calling last year, what plays can you call when you have walk ons playing on the OLine, your best defender dies, and you have no QB? I’m not saying Patenaude’s the answer but he sure wasn’t the problem. We won the same number of games in year 1 of Collins as the previous coach won in year 7.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Mason single-handedly saved the NC State win. The entire 4th quarter he was getting blown up at the line, and continued to grind out 3, 4, 5 yard rushes at a time. If the OLine plays to even average D1 capabilities, not even average in the P5, Mason will be on some award watch lists. I really hope Tech can stay relatively healthy on the line this year, and fully utilizes the depth and skill in the backfield. If they can do that, it will take a ton of pressure off of whoever wins the QB role. Hell, everyone saw what happens when you have an average QB and one of the best backfields in the country *cough* Jake Fromm and uGA in 2017 *cough*.
I think that was the game we finally figured out what to do. Should have rode Mason all year long like that.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
We all know that right now today Collins is an unknown commodity as a head coach. But so far in every category outside wins/losses he has been a success so the pattern is that he will be a success. He’s the type of guy GT needed right now. If we would have brought in another older retread he would have quickly been dumped on by the fans because no way was any coach going to be an equal to Johnson out of the shoot. Collins has played this perfectly in my opinion, as has TStan. The old saying is you never want to be the first guy replacing a legend type coach. And for GT, Johnson was that kind of coach until he got old fast. Collins knows this. So he is letting the fan base feel the pain of a couple of tough seasons so when we get to the 6-8 win range everyone will be a little happier. Then between the constant drumbeat of recruiting and additional wins we’ll be back to the O’Leary years with legit QB play and a big strong team. I’m not saying he’s losing on purpose but I’m also saying he didn’t lose any sleep about last season nor will he about this upcoming season. The players know what’s up which is why coming off a 3 win season the recruiting is still hot.

I apologize in advance but I will pick apart your post. Most points I agree with. Mostly I am adding detail to your post.

Collins was an unknown commodity as a head coach at the P5 level, but so were our last two head coaches. Collins has many years of working at the P5 level with some very good coaches. Our previous two coaches had no P5 experience. We could have hired a successful head coach from a HS, but so what? Thinking Faust and ND here. Collins is the most experienced P5 coach we've had in a while.

Johnson walked into the job with the 2007 recruits--the best class ever at GT-and recruited by Gailey--and Collins. His first two years were his only two consecutive P5 winning years thanks to those recruits. Gailey gets an assist. Johnson then went 53-53 in FBS games after the first two years. Why? Recruiting. Elite kids didn't see the system that would get them to the NFL. Also, he didn't have a staff that was built on recruiting. Coach Mac recruited well, so it could be done, but the rest of the staff was not very good at it. Johnson didn't fix that problem. That's why we won 3 games last year. Johnson would have beaten The Citadel last year with that team, but I am not sure he would have beaten Miami.

If you compare the talent level in 2008--Johnson's first year--with the talent level in 2019, it's a huge difference. People who don't understand that are clueless. And that's not Collins' fault. As Urban Meyer said in an interview before a bowl game last year, college football begins and ends with recruiting. So just as Gailey gets an assist for the 2008-2009 record, Johnson gets an assist for the 2019 record. And it's not a good one.

And I don't care about the "Johnson is gone why do you post this stuff?' comments. Johnson is gone, but we are still living with what he left behind. As long as people criticize Collins for last year's results, the whole truth needs to come out. GT Swarm is not NBC or CNN which are built on half truths.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
And I don't care about the "Johnson is gone why do you post this stuff?' comments. Johnson is gone, but we are still living with what he left behind. As long as people criticize Collins for last year's results, the whole truth needs to come out. GT Swarm is not NBC or CNN which are built on half truths.
I don't think most blamed CGC last year some didn't like the play calling by the offensive coordinator. But CGC is a defensive coach. As for the players on the roster now I do believe if you look most are not CGC players , problem being they are young and still need a year or 2 .

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I apologize in advance but I will pick apart your post. Most points I agree with. Mostly I am adding detail to your post.

Collins was an unknown commodity as a head coach at the P5 level, but so were our last two head coaches. Collins has many years of working at the P5 level with some very good coaches. Our previous two coaches had no P5 experience. We could have hired a successful head coach from a HS, but so what? Thinking Faust and ND here. Collins is the most experienced P5 coach we've had in a while.

Johnson walked into the job with the 2007 recruits--the best class ever at GT-and recruited by Gailey--and Collins. His first two years were his only two consecutive P5 winning years thanks to those recruits. Gailey gets an assist. Johnson then went 53-53 in FBS games after the first two years. Why? Recruiting. Elite kids didn't see the system that would get them to the NFL. Also, he didn't have a staff that was built on recruiting. Coach Mac recruited well, so it could be done, but the rest of the staff was not very good at it. Johnson didn't fix that problem. That's why we won 3 games last year. Johnson would have beaten The Citadel last year with that team, but I am not sure he would have beaten Miami.

If you compare the talent level in 2008--Johnson's first year--with the talent level in 2019, it's a huge difference. People who don't understand that are clueless. And that's not Collins' fault. As Urban Meyer said in an interview before a bowl game last year, college football begins and ends with recruiting. So just as Gailey gets an assist for the 2008-2009 record, Johnson gets an assist for the 2019 record. And it's not a good one.

We agree on all that. I loved Coach Johnson and still do. I wish we had the younger Paul Johnson who was innovative and had the fire. But, he got old fast the last 4-5 years and became his own enemy. Heck, with a year off I bet he can now clearly see where he failed. I agree about our previous coaches not having P5 experience but that’s really overblown. Johnson had more experience than most P5 coaches. And Gailey had plenty of experience as well. Collins is the outlier. I like GT taking chances as that’s how we got Cremins and O’Leary. And Collins will succeed because he’ll get players and outside of Clemson no one is a juggernaut in the ACC. And UGA is starting to come back to the pack as kids in high school have only seen Kirby choke so the Kirby shine is gone. 2nd and 26 was a watershed moment that could have propelled them into the class of Bama and Clemson but instead it’s just another along the line of under performance coming from Athens.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We agree on all that. I loved Coach Johnson and still do. I wish we had the younger Paul Johnson who was innovative and had the fire. But, he got old fast the last 4-5 years and became his own enemy. Heck, with a year off I bet he can now clearly see where he failed. I agree about our previous coaches not having P5 experience but that’s really overblown. Johnson had more experience than most P5 coaches. And Gailey had plenty of experience as well. Collins is the outlier. I like GT taking chances as that’s how we got Cremins and O’Leary. And Collins will succeed because he’ll get players and outside of Clemson no one is a juggernaut in the ACC. And UGA is starting to come back to the pack as kids in high school have only seen Kirby choke so the Kirby shine is gone. 2nd and 26 was a watershed moment that could have propelled them into the class of Bama and Clemson but instead it’s just another along the line of under performance coming from Athens.
One thing about this that I hate to admit, but UGA is probably breaking away from the pack more so than coming back to it. They secured the best recruiting class last year, have 2 pretty high profile QB transfers coming in, and are spending boo-koos of money in the attempt to end the 1980 comments. In all honesty, they’ll probably accomplish it sooner rather than later. Even though their non-conference slate has been embarrassing the past 5+ years, for about the next 10 they’ll establish themselves nationally as a program willing to play the best. They aren’t even going the Bama cop-out route of neutral site games, they’re going full out H&H with top tier teams in the nation. It’s gonna either take some serious NCAA interjection or something else to go seriously wrong within the entire athletic program before they go back to being the 9-3 underachievers they have been for the past 40 years. For the foreseeable future they’ll probably be at least be 11-1 underachievers.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Could be but I don’t see the East as being patsies much longer. Mullen is a good coach and is building Florida up and they have a legit QB already where UGA is still looking for one. And Mullen will have the lines at Florida to go toe to toe. And Tennessee is building back from the abyss. And their annual crossover in Auburn has a pretty solid young QB who learned under fire as a true freshman. I can see Auburn hanging a loss on them.

UGA always has stud QB’s coming in but they haven’t found “that guy”. They put up numbers and wins ala Stafford, Murray, and Fromm but they haven’t found the guy who can will them to a dominant season like Cam, Tebow, Burrows, and Lawrence. And if UGA were smart (which they aren’t) they should have kept the easy scheduling going. These home and home series will bite them and cost them a playoff spot once in a while. Losing 2 keeps you out of a 4 team playoff and Kirby has benefitted from the East and GT being down under his tenure. All those teams are on the right track to improvement. I agree UGA has 2 years of free reign (although I love Trask) in the East but they have no proven QB and their stable of RB’s isn’t any where on the same level as Gurley, Chubb, Swift, or Michel. I know their current crop were all highly rated guys but fans know that Zeus and Cook are not on the same level as the others. Their best offensive player is a head case WR with zero discipline. I like Milton but it’s all about QB and UGA is in a transition phase after 3 years of Fromm. Bama, Clemson, and Ohio St are clearly the top 3 simply due to QB. I can easily see UGA losing 3 games this year - Florida, Auburn, and SECCG if they make it.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Could be but I don’t see the East as being patsies much longer. Mullen is a good coach and is building Florida up and they have a legit QB already where UGA is still looking for one. And Mullen will have the lines at Florida to go toe to toe. And Tennessee is building back from the abyss. And their annual crossover in Auburn has a pretty solid young QB who learned under fire as a true freshman. I can see Auburn hanging a loss on them.

UGA always has stud QB’s coming in but they haven’t found “that guy”. They put up numbers and wins ala Stafford, Murray, and Fromm but they haven’t found the guy who can will them to a dominant season like Cam, Tebow, Burrows, and Lawrence. And if UGA were smart (which they aren’t) they should have kept the easy scheduling going. These home and home series will bite them and cost them a playoff spot once in a while. Losing 2 keeps you out of a 4 team playoff and Kirby has benefitted from the East and GT being down under his tenure. All those teams are on the right track to improvement. I agree UGA has 2 years of free reign (although I love Trask) in the East but they have no proven QB and their stable of RB’s isn’t any where on the same level as Gurley, Chubb, Swift, or Michel. I know their current crop were all highly rated guys but fans know that Zeus and Cook are not on the same level as the others. Their best offensive player is a head case WR with zero discipline. I like Milton but it’s all about QB and UGA is in a transition phase after 3 years of Fromm. Bama, Clemson, and Ohio St are clearly the top 3 simply due to QB. I can easily see UGA losing 3 games this year - Florida, Auburn, and SECCG if they make it.
It’s true that the East is down right now, but it’s also been “down” for nearly a decade now. Tennessee has been virtually irrelevant since the mid 2000s, and while they are trending upwards, they are still no where near Florida, who really isn’t that close to Georgia. Nobody is spending money like UGA is right now. Florida is reducing its stadium capacity, Georgia is increasing theirs while leading the nation in recruiting spending. Georgia’s athletic facilities are easily in the top 10 in the country, and Florida’s are honestly more comparable to Tech than Georgia. While their QB situation is a little bit squirrelly, they may honestly be better off with anybody other than Fromm leading their offense. They’re dominating OL recruiting, and even though they did lose basically their entire starting 5, a huge drop off isn’t really expected. Jamie Newman isn’t a Heisman candidate, but he’s more than serviceable, and athletic enough to make plays on his own, something Georgia has struggled with at QB since D.J. Shockley. I don’t remember the USC transfer’s name, but regardless of whether or not he can play, they’re going to have the number 1 QB in the 2021 class waiting in the wings.

Honestly one of the biggest reasons I want the season to go on without a hitch is because I do think this is a year where Georgia could slip up and lose 2-3 games and maybe lose some of their momentum. They play their first 3 games over only 12 days. UVA in Atlanta to open, and while VA did lose Perkins, they are going to want to capitalize on their success from last year. The game being in Atlanta will still be a 90% Gagger crowd, but it does lose some of the genuine home field advantage Sanford would provide. Then they play ETSU before hitting the road and playing Alabama. Bama on the road will be a tough game no matter who is playing. Unfortunately they do get Auburn, Tennessee, and Tech at home, but hopefully Tech will recover some of that Sanford magic and end any Gagger playoff hopes with a win in COFH.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if the professional sports’ National Anthem “take-a-knee” protest will spill over to collegiate sports this year and, if so, how it will affect attendance...

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s true that the East is down right now, but it’s also been “down” for nearly a decade now. Tennessee has been virtually irrelevant since the mid 2000s, and while they are trending upwards, they are still no where near Florida, who really isn’t that close to Georgia. Nobody is spending money like UGA is right now. Florida is reducing its stadium capacity, Georgia is increasing theirs while leading the nation in recruiting spending. Georgia’s athletic facilities are easily in the top 10 in the country, and Florida’s are honestly more comparable to Tech than Georgia. While their QB situation is a little bit squirrelly, they may honestly be better off with anybody other than Fromm leading their offense. They’re dominating OL recruiting, and even though they did lose basically their entire starting 5, a huge drop off isn’t really expected. Jamie Newman isn’t a Heisman candidate, but he’s more than serviceable, and athletic enough to make plays on his own, something Georgia has struggled with at QB since D.J. Shockley. I don’t remember the USC transfer’s name, but regardless of whether or not he can play, they’re going to have the number 1 QB in the 2021 class waiting in the wings.

Honestly one of the biggest reasons I want the season to go on without a hitch is because I do think this is a year where Georgia could slip up and lose 2-3 games and maybe lose some of their momentum. They play their first 3 games over only 12 days. UVA in Atlanta to open, and while VA did lose Perkins, they are going to want to capitalize on their success from last year. The game being in Atlanta will still be a 90% Gagger crowd, but it does lose some of the genuine home field advantage Sanford would provide. Then they play ETSU before hitting the road and playing Alabama. Bama on the road will be a tough game no matter who is playing. Unfortunately they do get Auburn, Tennessee, and Tech at home, but hopefully Tech will recover some of that Sanford magic and end any Gagger playoff hopes with a win in COFH.

We agree. I’m just way past being concerned about UGA’s top recruiting classes. They have proven to waste those classes. As you stated the East has been down for a decade and UGA has close to nothing to show for it. No one cares about Sugar bowl wins in the playoff era. I still have a text I’ve kept from a huge UGA donor from the day Eason committed. It basically said “this kid will be our next Herschel and lead us to a Natty”. Well, Eason, Fromm, and Fields have come and gone and now they have a transfer from Wake. As for Brock, I’m not worried. It won’t be long until that crowd turns on him like they did on Fromm.

Also, for UGA to win a Natty they have to just be superior like LSU was. Their schedule is just too hard (Florida and Auburn every year - others getting better, the home and homes getting tougher, then a SECCG then 2 playoff games. I just don’t see Kirby having the horses to be that consistent and very year Kirby doesn’t get it done is just fodder for others during recruitment.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
College football mags have hit the shelves! Tre Swilling made the cover of Street and Smith down south (Georgia)
Athlons is out as well.
And both have us picked dead last in the Coastal....