2020 Offseason Thread

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
What team or teams do y'all think could be big surprises in the ACC in 2020? My ACC football surprise teams are

FSU who i think will be 8-4 in 2020.

North Carolina who i think will win the ACC Coastal with an 8-4 record but could have a better record than that.

Georgia Tech will go 6-6 or 7-5 and go to a Bowl Game which will surprise a lot of people.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
What team or teams do y'all think could be big surprises in the ACC in 2020? My ACC football surprise teams are

FSU who i think will be 8-4 in 2020.

North Carolina who i think will win the ACC Coastal with an 8-4 record but could have a better record than that.

Georgia Tech will go 6-6 or 7-5 and go to a Bowl Game which will surprise a lot of people.
I think Louisville has a chance to finish 2nd in the Atlantic
UNC has to survive its first two games, UCF and Auburn as well as a tricky JMU team a week before us. If they’re 0-2 after those first couple games it’ll be interesting to see where they’re at mentally.
As far as we go, I think the first 5 games determines our season. If we’re 3-2 or even 2-3 we can still hit 6 wins. 1-4, we might be looking at another 3/4 win type season. But I think we see better play on both sides of the ball. The schedule is brutal.
Unfortunately, my personal opinion is we might not have a season, if we do it may just be conference games and a shorter season. Hope I’m wrong. But just my gut feeling at the moment.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I think Louisville has a chance to finish 2nd in the Atlantic
UNC has to survive its first two games, UCF and Auburn as well as a tricky JMU team a week before us. If they’re 0-2 after those first couple games it’ll be interesting to see where they’re at mentally.
As far as we go, I think the first 5 games determines our season. If we’re 3-2 or even 2-3 we can still hit 6 wins. 1-4, we might be looking at another 3/4 win type season. But I think we see better play on both sides of the ball. The schedule is brutal.
Unfortunately, my personal opinion is we might not have a season, if we do it may just be conference games and a shorter season. Hope I’m wrong. But just my gut feeling at the moment.
I think Louisville's defense will hold them back from having a strong season. The Service Academies probably have bigger players on their defense than Louisville had last season.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Here are the College Football News ACC Spring Bowl Projections

Gasparilla Bowl: Syracuse vs Houston
Belk Bowl; Virginia vs South Carolina
Camping World Bowl: Virginia Tech vs Oklahoma State
Fenway Bowl: Boston College vs UCF
Military Bowl: Pitt vs Cincinnati
Pinstripe Bowl: FSU vs Nebraska
Holiday Bowl; Louisville vs Washington
First Responders Bowl: Duke vs Kansas State
Gator Bowl: North Carolina vs Missouri
Peach Bowl: Florida vs Notre Dame
Orange Bowl: Miami vs Boise State
Sugar Bowl: Clemson vs Alabama

https://www.collegefootballnews.com/2020/03/acc-bowl-projections-2020-2021-spring-version

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
USG announced today that all summer classes will be delivered remotely as well. I assume this includes GT.

Per AJC: "May and summer semester instruction will be delivered remotely with limited exceptions. USG institutions will return to normal operations for fall semester assuming health conditions allow for it."

Wonder how this affects the team. There are no official team workouts over the summer as far as I know but I do know the players usually hold unofficial workouts together.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
USG announced today that all summer classes will be delivered remotely as well. I assume this includes GT.

Per AJC: "May and summer semester instruction will be delivered remotely with limited exceptions. USG institutions will return to normal operations for fall semester assuming health conditions allow for it."

Wonder how this affects the team. There are no official team workouts over the summer as far as I know but I do know the players usually hold unofficial workouts together.

This to me is totally expected and whyI think it is unlikely there will be a full football season.
Student Athletes in most sports - but especially in college football and basketball are on campus during the summer taking classes, having workouts and working with each other outside of official means. None of that is going to happen this summer.

This also means no summer camps for HS players and teams. So recruiting will also be impacted.

the earliest I think student-athletes will be allowed back is early August (summer session ends at the end of July). And that is only if President's feel very good that there isn't going to be an outbreak on their campus if students return.

And by the way, the idea of summer football is the silliest and dumbest one i've ever heard. it is basically saying it is ok to put students in harm's way so we can be entertained. In order to have games in July you would have to have practices in June and models suggest we will need to pratice mitigation strategies at least through May 31st.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
This to me is totally expected and whyI think it is unlikely there will be a full football season.
Student Athletes in most sports - but especially in college football and basketball are on campus during the summer taking classes, having workouts and working with each other outside of official means. None of that is going to happen this summer.

This also means no summer camps for HS players and teams. So recruiting will also be impacted.

the earliest I think student-athletes will be allowed back is early August (summer session ends at the end of July). And that is only if President's feel very good that there isn't going to be an outbreak on their campus if students return.

And by the way, the idea of summer football is the silliest and dumbest one i've ever heard. it is basically saying it is ok to put students in harm's way so we can be entertained. In order to have games in July you would have to have practices in June and models suggest we will need to pratice mitigation strategies at least through May 31st.
I would rather have summer college football in 2020 than have no 2020 college football season......................................juxt sayin':cigar:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes. I don't think there is any way we'll have a vaccine widely distributed enough to have a football season in the summer of 2021. Soooooo … why bother? Write the year off and get back to regular concerns when we get most everybody vaccinated. Until we do - and that'll probably be in spring of 2021 - all sporting events, including kids t-ball, are off the calendar. The adjustments required for this will be dramatic, but there it is. What we are looking at isn't like a natural disaster with a specific time frame that we can address using off-the-shelf methods.

I'll miss football and basketball in 2020/21, but there it is. What people will be doing at this site is anybody's guess. Personally, I've been watching every-offensive-play films on Navy 2019 to pass the time. I mean, come on. You didn't expect me to watch Tech's 2019 season replays, did you?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would rather have summer college football in 2020 than have no 2020 college football season......................................juxt sayin':cigar:

To me this option has already died today.
How in the world are you going to tell a bunch of 18-22 yr olds they have to be in close proximity to each other for months when everyone else is not even on campus due to safety concerns. The outcry among the general public would be incredible and any University that took part would never live it down.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
To me this option has already died today.
How in the world are you going to tell a bunch of 18-22 yr olds they have to be in close proximity to each other for months when everyone else is not even on campus due to safety concerns. The outcry among the general public would be incredible and any University that took part would never live it down.
I still think there will be a 2020 college football season and i'm going to keep optimistically thinking that way. This is the only message board i post on where the posters think there will be no 2020 season. The Volnation message board i also post on everyone thinks there will be a 2020 college football season.