2020 MLB Draft

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Done. We did great in not losing as much talent as we could have. The big problem for P5 schools in general will be playing time.

Wonder who leaves undrafted? Not long to decide as I remember. Like 4-6 weeks?

I picked two to be drafted. Just wrong two :). More later.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Parada was top 3 best available left for a while during the draft. Why do y’all think he didn’t get picked? Good for us, and will be good for him long term hopefully.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Parada was top 3 best available left for a while during the draft. Why do y’all think he didn’t get picked? Good for us, and will be good for him long term hopefully.
Teams clearly knew it was going to cost too much to buy him out of his committment so no point in wasting a pick on him after the 2nd round. Thought Radcliff would go, but losing Guldberg will hurt. However, hopefully that will be cancelled out by Waddell back.

Hughes seems like the main option to sign an undrafted contract. Can't imagine Waddell does it for just $20,000. All the others can improve a lot from that by coming back next year. Assuming Webb is moving on to post-college life.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Is Jonathan Hughes, a Sr., eligible for another year due to coronageddon?
He didn’t get drafted, so the most an undrafted player can get is 20k.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Is Jonathan Hughes, a Sr., eligible for another year due to coronageddon?
He didn’t get drafted, so the most an undrafted player can get is 20k.
Yes, everyone gets another year so he can come back if he wants to. However, it would be his 6th year there so it's unclear what his thought process would be to stick around for another year. It would be great to be back, but even if not, our starting pitching depth looks pretty good assuming Hurter comes back well from his Tommy John of 2019.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I believe Hughes would be better off in Grad School, with all the reductions in minor league teams. If he has the year I think he can have, he would improve his stock,

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I believe Hughes would be better off in Grad School, with all the reductions in minor league teams. If he has the year I think he can have, he would improve his stock,

Agree. He can do grad school and wait and see what happens to the MLB business model.

This year was absolutely impossible to predict. Trying to guess the intersection of talent, shortened draft, player financial desire / needs, MLB business model uncertain for next years, only 10% payout this year then 45% next two years, ......

Guldberg from MLB:
  • "98) A's: Michael Guldberg, OF, Georgia Tech: The junior outfielder led the Atlantic Coast Conference in hitting (.450) while striking out just three times in 72 plate appearances during the shortened 2020 season after finishing second in the ACC batting race (.361) in 2019."
  • D1 said it was a pick to save money given what they spent earlier. And Aaron Fitt talked about Guldberg's OBP being over 500. The OF designation makes no sense.
Baron from MLB:
  • "146) Phillies: Baron Radcliff, OF, Georgia Tech: At a powerful 6-foot-4, Radcliff has plus-plus raw power that wows scouts, and he hit 12 homers in 2019, but he has struggled with whiffs and consistently tapping into his power. "
  • Raw power to take a long shot on. Fast running like a free safety. Good upside play. Going for broke with a guy with massive raw talent.
D1 had 5-1/2 hours of talking (only listened to 1-1/2 but may have it in background since the 5 they had were much better info than ESPN). They are looking forward to seeing the actual signing bonuses and believe that team's draft strategies will become clearer when that is known. A lot of great players didn't go. Like Waddell........ or our commits.

Can follow actual signing bonus at https://beesball.com/draft2020.html

I'm ecstatic about holding the entire recruiting class. I can easily see 2020 be a top 10 Class since other teams took lots of hits with what I believe was a larger than typical HS draft; more on that later. :)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree. He can do grad school and wait and see what happens to the MLB business model.

This year was absolutely impossible to predict. Trying to guess the intersection of talent, shortened draft, player financial desire / needs, MLB business model uncertain for next years, only 10% payout this year then 45% next two years, ......

Guldberg from MLB:
  • "98) A's: Michael Guldberg, OF, Georgia Tech: The junior outfielder led the Atlantic Coast Conference in hitting (.450) while striking out just three times in 72 plate appearances during the shortened 2020 season after finishing second in the ACC batting race (.361) in 2019."
  • D1 said it was a pick to save money given what they spent earlier. And Aaron Fitt talked about Guldberg's OBP being over 500. The OF designation makes no sense.
Baron from MLB:
  • "146) Phillies: Baron Radcliff, OF, Georgia Tech: At a powerful 6-foot-4, Radcliff has plus-plus raw power that wows scouts, and he hit 12 homers in 2019, but he has struggled with whiffs and consistently tapping into his power. "
  • Raw power to take a long shot on. Fast running like a free safety. Good upside play. Going for broke with a guy with massive raw talent.
D1 had 5-1/2 hours of talking (only listened to 1-1/2 but may have it in background since the 5 they had were much better info than ESPN). They are looking forward to seeing the actual signing bonuses and believe that team's draft strategies will become clearer when that is known. A lot of great players didn't go. Like Waddell........ or our commits.

Can follow actual signing bonus at https://beesball.com/draft2020.html

I'm ecstatic about holding the entire recruiting class. I can easily see 2020 be a top 10 Class since other teams took lots of hits with what I believe was a larger than typical HS draft; more on that later. :)
You guys saying we'll move up into a top 10 class... I'd think the fact only 160 players were picked that every team 'retained' many/most of their recruits. Are you comparing to other teams or just "feel" like we'll move up because it appears likely we have everybody in the 2020 class coming in? College baseball is going be flush with talent across the board (especially top D1 programs) until the pig in the snake created by extending eligibility works its way through over a few years.

Will be curious what you find @GTNavyNuke for 5 rounds of picks regarding HS guys taken. It was the fewest ever in the top 100 picks.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
You guys saying we'll move up into a top 10 class... I'd think the fact only 160 players were picked that every team 'retained' many/most of their recruits. Are you comparing to other teams or just "feel" like we'll move up because it appears likely we have everybody in the 2020 class coming in? College baseball is going be flush with talent across the board (especially top D1 programs) until the pig in the snake created by extending eligibility works its way through over a few years.

Will be curious what you find @GTNavyNuke for 5 rounds of picks regarding HS guys taken. It was the fewest ever in the top 100 picks.

We were already #16 (PG) and Didn’t lose anybody. It stands to reason that several of the teams ahead of us were ranked that high due to having draft-ready talent that just got picked.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
58FE0E00-D098-4012-B61B-82964665C800.png

58FE0E00-D098-4012-B61B-82964665C800.png

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How do think UCLA is feeling this morning? This was the number 5 class just as an example. Arkansas Florida Vanderbilt all lost top recruits. The scariest recruiting class loaded with PG All Americans that didn’t lose a recruit is Miami.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
How do think UCLA is feeling this morning? This was the number 5 class just as an example. Arkansas Florida Vanderbilt all lost top recruits. The scariest recruiting class loaded with PG All Americans that didn’t lose a recruit is Miami.
Well... I'm just playing along. Not an expert and certainly not arguing with you guys. I'm willing to bet UCLA, Vandy, UF, Ark are still all just fine from a recruiting class standpoint. The only team in your post that can impact Tech the most is Miami... and it wasn't good news. They are going to have a top class.

Just going on memory of what I recall being mentioned while I watched the draft... it sounded like Duke took some hits. Louisville too. Other quality ACC teams seemed to be more like Tech coming out relatively unscathed.

Nothing has changed that matters. Ga Tech is showing us a very positive trend in getting better talent. The decisions made at the top to hire/retain a better coaching staff and invest in facilities and technology for developing players is proving fruitful. Cannot wait for baseball to be back!!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It’s now or never for Hughes. He’s already 23 and will be 24 by next year’s draft. With their most recent string of cuts MLB made it very clear that age is probably a prospect’s biggest asset. He’s probably already past the limit where a team would feel comfortable “developing” him for their system. Once guys reach a certain age teams just let them go out on their own.

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer