2020 Baseball - Postseason

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
My heart goes out to the team... particularly, these seniors. Every season we see a group of guys complete a college baseball career at the finest Institute in the world & do it "the right way" ...playing hard & representing Ga Tech in a highly respectable manner.

This time the end was ...to put it mildly... not right.

Who knows if any of these guys will be back next year... depends on NCAA decisions, their own personal situations, & other factors. One thing is certain... I appreciate their hard work & dedication. May they prosper in whatever they choose to do. Each deserves that... they've earned that.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Great topic for Beesball, Fred!
Do you see Amy of our Seniors getting drafted in the first 10 rounds?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Great topic for Beesball, Fred!
Do you see Amy of our Seniors getting drafted in the first 10 rounds?
Hughes would be the most likely. I think we'll see Wilhite come back and pitch out of the pen, but I have a feeling that none of the other seniors will be back.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I think it might be tough for Wilhite to return to pitch to compete with the existing pitchers.
Not sure how much pitch work he was getting with his position duties and practice.
Good to see they preview his stuff. Wish he would had more time this season to display it.

He's also competing at 5'9" 172 lbs against
  • 4 pitchers 6-1 to 6-3 in the 2020 class.
  • 7 pitchers. 6-0 to 6-8 in 2019
  • 3 pithcers 6-1-6-2 in 2018.......
Is his stuff that good to take him for 1 year?
If it is great, but if they others have more upside and years remaining....I think it will be difficult to justify.

I think Hughes stuff is good enough to draft with his efficiencies and spin rates and sure a $hit doesn't need a 6th year. Nor does Webb.

That leaves Rigby, and per the commentators, Rigby didn't get much playing time.

Who do you think Drafts?
Luke and Radcliff?
Collin?
Hurter?
Chapman?
Guldberg?

incoming who do you think drafts?
Deleo & Prada

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think it might be tough for Wilhite to return to pitch to compete with the existing pitchers.
Not sure how much pitch work he was getting with his position duties and practice.
Good to see they preview his stuff. Wish he would had more time this season to display it.

He's also competing at 5'9" 172 lbs against
  • 4 pitchers 6-1 to 6-3 in the 2020 class.
  • 7 pitchers. 6-0 to 6-8 in 2019
  • 3 pithcers 6-1-6-2 in 2018.......
Is his stuff that good to take him for 1 year?
If it is great, but if they others have more upside and years remaining....I think it will be difficult to justify.

I think Hughes stuff is good enough to draft with his efficiencies and spin rates and sure a $hit doesn't need a 6th year. Nor does Webb.

That leaves Rigby, and per the commentators, Rigby didn't get much playing time.

Who do you think Drafts?
Luke and Radcliff?
Collin?
Hurter?
Chapman?
Guldberg?

incoming who do you think drafts?
Deleo & Prada
They said that Wilhite's spin rate on his fastball would be among the elite in the MLB. He sits in the low 90s, but he could easily be the closer next year and get drafted after showing out.

Also, height doesn't matter. Our Friday night starter for the past 3 years, Xzavion Curry was only 5'9 and he threw in the low to mid 90s. Then you have Marcus Stroman who is only 5'8 but has had a really good career so far. If you can pitch, you can pitch. Height doesn't matter at all.

I have a feeling that Archer, Radcliff, and Waddell will get drafted, along with the 2 incoming freshmen that you mentioned. I imagine that we'll see Hall, Hurter, and Chapman come back. Guldberg is a fringe draft candidate for me. If he is considered a RS junior next year, then I think he will come back too.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just to add to the good comments from @THWG and @eokerholm

Guys like Hughes and Webb (already in 5th year) would need to remain enrolled through next Spring (as undergrads or be accepted to graduate school) to even be eligible. That by itself seems like a stretch unless graduate school is something they really want to do. As for Hughes (assuming the extra year of eligibility is granted)... the silver lining (if there is one) of this virus situation is he does gain some leverage with the draft. Based on his value coming out of HS and his subsequent rehab (albeit lengthy) that in the fall and through 4 weeks of the 2020 season indicated he is clearly on track to be worth a look for MLB clubs... based on all that IF he can somehow play his cards right, he may be able to force the draft to treat like a prospect with the "option" of returning to college for another year and squeeze a higher draft slot out of that.

With Wilhite... what an interesting situation. CDH said in an interview right after the postponement that Wilhite was set as the closer for the FSU series. I'm going to just assume (because that don't cost nothing)... had this season gone on uninterrupted, the Austin Wilhite story was going to be one for the ages. He was going to settle into the closer role and be a huge factor in securing W's for the team. Having said that... I REALLY hope that story will play out in 2021.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been saying for a while I think Hurter gets drafted this year even if he doesn’t pitch. I believe the current situation makes it much more likely he leaves than stays. There’s no pressure on him to make a comeback to competitive games this season, so he’ll have plenty of time to work on what he needs to get 100% healthy. Since scouts didn’t really get a good look at anybody this season, it can’t really be held against him that he didn’t pitch. Plus with how congested next year’s draft class is likely to be, I don’t think he would risk coming back next year.

Hughes is definitely gone. I was surprised he didn’t get drafted last year. He’ll probably be one of the senior sign guys teams take in the top 10 rounds and sign for like $10k.

An interesting note on Austin Wilhite coming back is that there’s a chance Nick is able to come back and play next year also. His academic probation forced him out of school for the 2019-20 academic year, so if he wanted to he could re-enroll and have his final year of eligibility left to play next year. That said I think the Wilhites will be a package deal next year. Either both of them are back, or neither of them are.

The 2 I think that will be hurt the most by the season ending early are Waddell and Radcliff. Both of them will be drafted, but I believe it will be a lot harder for scouts to distinguish between position players with limited numbers than pitchers.

Guldberg is on the fringe. I think he could be a late round pick, but I don’t think that will be enough to entice him to leave. He’s a year away from graduating with an IE degree from Georgia Tech. The dude is literally a machine. His power numbers were on pace to well surpass his output from last year, and he’s just a pure hitter. I’d say the biggest limiting factor for Guldberg is that he doesn’t really have a true position. Pro outfielders are going to be asked to hit for more power than what I believe he’s capable of, and I’m not sure how great of an infielder he is. We’ll see what happens but I’d count on Guldy to be back.

I’d also count on Colin to be back. One of the biggest reasons is that it’s almost a given that when he leaves, CDH will also call it quits. I don’t think either of them are ready for it to be over after this. He also wasn’t having a great year at the plate.

It’s highly doubtful Rigby and Webb will be coming back. I don’t believe Chapman will be drafted, so he’ll more than likely be back.

One of the biggest factors for everybody is how the NCAA will handle eligibility. I’ve read where only seniors will have the option to retain their year of eligibility, while everyone else will just have to eat the year. Nobody really knows how it will play out. I’m thankful for all the guys who wear the white and gold. This senior class is really the last class I have a personal connection with. It’ll be sad to see them go. For those on the board, a lot of my “insider” information will go with them :(. I wish things could be different. But without even an MLB Opening Day to look forward to, baseball isn’t the constant James Earl Jones said it was.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Well we know DH doesn’t want to retire and assume Colin will return so that gets him another year. Ramsey-The dude is just flat out awesome. So much I knowledge and love and respect for the game and the guys. He’s just so present amen great to be around and brings the best out in everyone. We’re lucky to have him. I’m looking forward to sending my son to this crew. When ready and the time comes he should get the nod. He would make a great Headcoach.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Didn’t want to start a new thread, and not sure any of you who were around, want to see it again? The younger crowd might want to pass some time and watch this game?
It features two WS teams that were undefeated in Omaha that week, in what has been called one of the top ten championship games of all time:

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn’t want to start a new thread, and not sure any of you who were around, want to see it again? The younger crowd might want to pass some time and watch this game?
It features two WS teams that were undefeated in Omaha that week, in what has been called one of the top ten championship games of all time:

Three game series and we win it. Fun fact, CTJacket gets his degree in that video somewhere (I have it on VHS still, lol)