2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Snitker is blaming it on velocity, and claiming that is “his game.” Inferring he can‘t adjust like a more veteran pitcher would, when they lose some speed.
Let’s see if any team trades for him in the next 9 days. Folty has another year of control, and it figures someone will take a chance, most likely after the full 10 days-when they only pay the prorated remainder of the 50 games left.

GT_EE78

Banned
Miami's season has been halted until Monday, Aug. 3, giving the club time to regroup and adjust their roster as necessary. "MLB believes that it is most prudent to allow the Marlins time to focus on providing care for their players and planning their baseball operations for a resumption early next week," said the statement. The Phillies will be shut down until Friday.
>schedules have been revised

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
2-3 record. Good to get home, in front of the cardboard fans doling out at-a-boys. The crowd might be a little stiff, and the main concession item will be cardboard cookies.

The Braves have opened the season without first- and second-string catchers Travis d’Arnaud and Tyler Flowers, but it doesn’t seem as if either will be on the shelf for much longer. Manager Brian Snitker indicated Tuesday that the team could activate at least one of them before its game against the Rays on Wednesday, Mark Bowman of MLB.com writes.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Curious what you guys are observing with the Braves... the organization... after these first 5 games (already over 8% of season done).

On the field, the Nationals are playing very poorly. All aspects (except pitching). Fielding errors and baserunning blunders... real basic fundamental stuff. It has been frustrating to watch. They could easily be 3-2. Instead they are 1-4. Despite their bad start, I am thrilled to see any real baseball... so, trying to keep that in mind. With Soto's positive COVID test (which now appears to have been a false positive) and the Marlins outbreak, Davey Martinez has been asked (and answered) a ton of questions regarding the whole situation with the virus and the implications for baseball. My sense is he is genuinely affected by it all. That is not a criticism. He is an "at risk" individual and he seems to be a very thoughtful human being. From the jump, he and Rizzo have been very vocal about how the organization is taking things very seriously. ...but just watching him in interviews and doing my fair share of couch "psychologist" ...I think he's having a difficult time with everything. He says all the right stuff about the the whole deal; but things just feel off. Again...not a bitter fan here who expect him to do anything differently. Just an observation and wondered if you guys have any observations like this so far.

Oh, Martinez also had a hard time getting to the ballpark yesterday. He was stopped by 'police activity' on the way (walking) to the ballpark. Someone had committed suicide (with a gun) near the ballpark. Just add that to the pile.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Hi Fred;
Only watched your Sunday game. Without Soto, a few others and Strasberg missing a start already, difficult to judge your team 8% or more. You had injuries last year during the 19-31 beginning. Rendon was a stud, too! Look at the Marlins who were looking good until coronageddon smashed them down. This season is destined for a double or triple asterisk.
The Braves need Cole Hamels or another healthy veteran. Definitely need three by playoff time, if that happens for them. I’m not a Chacin fan. I’d love to see Ian Anderson and Tucker Davidson. Perfect chance for them, since the league won’t have a chance to melt them down in a 162 game season, where they rack up arm innings and get discovered. We know young pitchers have to adjust after the hitters do.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Thought I would add, the Braves lead MLB in K’s. Twice as many strikeouts as hits. Last year they only had 35 more K’s than hits for the entire season. I’m afraid to subtract the 14 run game vs. the Mets. Especially when they were not pitching any of their frontline pitchers.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Braves outfielder Nick Markakis has reversed course on his choice to opt out of the 2020 season, David O’Brien of The Athletic was among those to report on Twitter. He will re-join the team, though his precise timeline for returning to active duty is not yet known.

JULY 29: Both d’Arnaud and Flowers are active and will be in uniform tonight. They’ll be joined by recently claimed outfielder Scott Schebler. To make active roster space, the Braves optioned backstops Alex Jackson and William Contreras along with righty Chad Sobotka.