2020 Atlanta Braves News

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

Can't just have one day with 0 bad news. Puig tested positive for covid-19 and he is asymptomatic. Hopefully his two negatives come back quickly.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

Not that the Braves can't sign him again after two negative tests, but they have voided the contract.

Yea, that option definitely still exists and I hope he does wind up signing with us. Good chance those two negative tests come a week into the season though... and at that point he will still need another week to get warmed up. That is a large piece of the 60 games.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ironic. Braves fans complaining about pitches off the plate being called strikes. That's how Maddux and Glavine made their living. Especially Glavine. Getting pitches off the plate called strikes.
You're correct. I'm looking forward to the analysis when these electronic strike zones get implemented. I hope somebody does some retro comparisons. I assume guys like Glavine & Maddux would have figured out how to locate under those conditions... but they threw a ton of taken "strikes" out of the zone.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
You're correct. I'm looking forward to the analysis when these electronic strike zones get implemented. I hope somebody does some retro comparisons. I assume guys like Glavine & Maddux would have figured out how to locate under those conditions... but they threw a ton of taken "strikes" out of the zone.
Yeah, I suspect both Maddux and Glavine would have adjusted to whatever strike zone was being called at the time. They knew where they could throw the ball for a strike, and put it there. Hence, Hall of Fame pitchers. Hopefully Tech's pitching coach can teach our young guns to locate where the umps are calling strikes...

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Ironic. Braves fans complaining about pitches off the plate being called strikes. That's how Maddux and Glavine made their living. Especially Glavine. Getting pitches off the plate called strikes.

there's getting calls off the plate, then there was that travesty of a game between the marlins and Braves. the ump should have straight up been fired for what he was calling that game

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
there's getting calls off the plate, then there was that travesty of a game between the marlins and Braves. the ump should have straight up been fired for what he was calling that game
As a kid, I remember Eric Gregg’s (the Home plate umpire of that game) Mom saying that the only way he would ever be on tv were to be if she picked him up and put him on top of it. Rip to Eric Gregg, but his strike zone that day was brutal. No wonder Livan fanned 15. McGriff (who pretty much never argued a day in his life other than that day) even said on the Braves zoom reunion recently that that was the worst called zone he had ever seen. Pretty sure Chipper, Lockhart, Lofton, Klesko, Tucker and all the other guys felt the same way! 12” off the black will get it done for most pitchers any day of the week.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
C’mon guys, you know EG was an expert at seeing the plate. The food plate. RIP.

We may have lost Peweeg for only 2-3 more weeks. Braves search for a LH hitter off the bench.

Now that we have covered plates and benches, let’s admit we are a couple of ants short of a picnic!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The Braves announced today that they have signed first baseman Matt Adams. It’s a minor-league arrangement.

Adams had recently opted out of his deal with the division-rival Mets. Though there just wasn’t room for him on the New York roster, it seems the left-handed hitter showed enough to earn a spot in the Atlanta 60-man player pool.