2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
On honor of Phil Niekro...

View attachment 9633
Didn’t Bob Uecker catch briefly with the Braves? Sounds like something he would say, from the “back row.” Or did he aim to sit in the front row?

Played H.S. ball on a State Championship Team. Jim Wilhelm was our super tall first baseman who pitched too. Couldn’t miss him throwing across the diamond.
He was nuckleballer Hoyt’s son. Warmed him up in practice one day. That was my last time with a catchers mitt without gear on. That crazy pitch made my straight knees, bruised and crooked. Lol!

GT_EE78

Banned
Didn’t Bob Uecker catch briefly with the Braves? Sounds like something he would say, from the “back row.” Or did he aim to sit in the front row?

Played H.S. ball on a State Championship Team. Jim Wilhelm was our super tall first baseman who pitched too. Couldn’t miss him throwing across the diamond.
He was nuckleballer Hoyt’s son. Warmed him up in practice one day. That was my last time with a catchers mitt without gear on. That crazy pitch made my straight knees, bruised and crooked. Lol!
Yes, in 1967 Joe Torre couldn't catch the knuckleball very well, so Uecker was basically Phil's personal catcher that year