2020 ACC Football Season Update

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Pre-season SP+ from Connely, returning production rank:

SP+
Returning Production

TeamSP+ (Rank)Returning Production (Rank)Point Spread (2.5 pt home field advantage)
GT1.3 (58)84% (2)-
Duke-1.7 (69)65% (65)GT -5.5
Clemson27 (3)55% (96)Clemson -23.2
Louisville6.7 (41)78% (13)Louisville -3.9
Notre Dame18.5 (12)59% (83)ND -14.7
Pitt6 (42)69% (48)Pitt -3.2
@ BC-2.2 (71)67% (53)GT -1
@ FSU12 (26)73% (27)FSU -13.2
@ Miami12.6 (23)55% (97)Miami -13.8
@ NCSU0.2 (62)74% (23)NCSU -1
@ Syracuse-6.4 (95)52% (106)GT -5.2

Lots of close games predicted. I think the ratings are going to significantly undervalue our improvement given more time with scheme, impact transfers / healthy returnees / positive culture. But it's still a tough schedule. 3 games where we are close to a 2TD dog and then there's Clemson and maybe UGA.
I see 6 wins

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If the game was played now, the team would have to quarantine for two weeks in New York before they could play the game.
If the game was scheduled now, it'd be unlikely that it gets played, based on what I heard last week about the likelihood of a fall football season at Syracuse

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If the game was scheduled now, it'd be unlikely that it gets played, based on what I heard last week about the likelihood of a fall football season at Syracuse

If the current regulations in NY stay in place, Syracuse would have a hard time getting ACC teams in the state for a home game. I think Boston College would be the only ACC team that could actually play a game without quarantining in NY for two weeks before the game.

EDIT: It looks like I missed Pittsburgh. They could have two home games.

Ga tech

Georgia Tech Fan
I really have a hard time seeing 5 wins. However; this is going to be a really odd season. (if it happens). We could play Clemson, while missing 1/2 their team, due to the virus. It's hard to gauge what's a win vs. a loss, in my book.
Their 2nd string players are better than our starters.

Ga tech

Georgia Tech Fan
Pre-season SP+ from Connely, returning production rank:

SP+
Returning Production

TeamSP+ (Rank)Returning Production (Rank)Point Spread (2.5 pt home field advantage)
GT1.3 (58)84% (2)-
Duke-1.7 (69)65% (65)GT -5.5
Clemson27 (3)55% (96)Clemson -23.2
Louisville6.7 (41)78% (13)Louisville -3.9
Notre Dame18.5 (12)59% (83)ND -14.7
Pitt6 (42)69% (48)Pitt -3.2
@ BC-2.2 (71)67% (53)GT -1
@ FSU12 (26)73% (27)FSU -13.2
@ Miami12.6 (23)55% (97)Miami -13.8
@ NCSU0.2 (62)74% (23)NCSU -1
@ Syracuse-6.4 (95)52% (106)GT -5.2

Lots of close games predicted. I think the ratings are going to significantly undervalue our improvement given more time with scheme, impact transfers / healthy returnees / positive culture. But it's still a tough schedule. 3 games where we are close to a 2TD dog and then there's Clemson and maybe UGA.
I’ll take Duke and the points. They have easily handled us for years. I would take Duke if they had to lay 5.5 points.

Ga tech

Georgia Tech Fan
All of them, except maybe kicker, but I wouldn’t put it past one of our freshmen to outplay them there too

:rolleyes:
You mean if one of their freshman was better than our starters. Every year we talk about one of our 2 or 3 star players becoming a break out surprise and very rarely does such ever occur.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You mean if one of their freshman was better than our starters. Every year we talk about one of our 2 or 3 star players becoming a break out surprise and very rarely does such ever occur.
Nah. Clearly Tech is way better and way deeper than Clemson is this year, and we’re probably even with Georgia. I don’t think anybody outside of Alabama has more talent than Tech will have this year. <sarcasm>

Dude, what’s your deal? I think you might just be a uGagger trying to troll, and doing a pretty poor job of it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
2021 might be the year to shuffle the league structure and get it into a more north/south setup. Maybe ND actually comes in but I sort of doubt that. A new ACC commissioner will likely make some sort of changes. I realize this year is a outlier but perfect time for changes.

Ga tech

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm sure the game just does not happen, but...
I'm equally sure that if we beat Ugag this year and they have a few out with the virus, they won't count it.
uga would have to have their entire 1st and 2nd string out for us to be able to beat them. Have you seen have has happened the last few years?

Ga tech

Georgia Tech Fan
Nah. Clearly Tech is way better and way deeper than Clemson is this year, and we’re probably even with Georgia. I don’t think anybody outside of Alabama has more talent than Tech will have this year. <sarcasm>

Dude, what’s your deal? I think you might just be a uGagger trying to troll, and doing a pretty poor job of it.
No, just realistic. I attend the home games and one road game each year. Did you see how we played last season?

Ga tech

Georgia Tech Fan

Also, nice to see uga not being able to pad their schedule this season with 3 cupcakes this season like they do every year.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I firmly believe "health" is part of this season.

If one team is prepared to play and healthy and another is half missing due to covid they should be forced to play with the team they have or forfeit.

Staying in a "bubble" will be key, and it gives us a awesome chance to win some serious games even if the other team is missing players.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
uga would have to have their entire 1st and 2nd string out for us to be able to beat them. Have you seen have has happened the last few years?
Did you see what happened in 2016? Ugag had about 27 four and five star players on your 2-deep, and Tech had 2.
Tech 28, Ugag 27. I think the Jackets are going to be a lot better than you, or even most Tech fans think this season.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
so at this point is it safe to say there won't be a national championship game this year or even bowls ?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
With kids now starting to opt out and prep for the nfl draft it wouldn’t surprise me to see guys like Lawrence or Etiene (sp?) or a few others sit.
As someone who loves betting on college football this is going to be a crazy year. I’m curious how Vegas handles it all.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
With kids now starting to opt out and prep for the nfl draft it wouldn’t surprise me to see guys like Lawrence or Etiene (sp?) or a few others sit.
As someone who loves betting on college football this is going to be a crazy year. I’m curious how Vegas handles it all.
Whats odd is GT slipped from a 22 point dog to 26. If anything I'd think this could be an underdog year.